PDA

View Full Version : Don't drop your trim router...

Todd Burch
09-15-2003, 10:35 PM
34" of gravity did this. I actually didn't drop it. It vibrated off the bench while I was using my oldest PC 333VS Random Orbit Sander whose bearings are about shot (OK, they are shot).

I'll be calling Bosch in the morning for a new base. Ugg.

Jim Becker
09-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Doh!! .........

David Rose
09-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Ouch Todd! I feel for ya. I see the "angle base" but no adjustment to change it. :(

David

Bob Lasley
09-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Well look on the bright side. The bit looks ok, at least from here. It didn't hit on the motor end and ruin the whole thing and ..............you know that gravity is alive and well in Katy, Texas!! :D
Other than that, I agree, it bites.

Bob

David Klug
09-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Todd, all I can say is welcome to the club. I have a Wagner cordless drill that fell from my bench and ruined the battery. I've been trying to get another one but so far I haven't been able to find one. If anyone has suggetions I sure would appreciate it. I really miss using this drill.

Dave :(

Steve Clardy
09-16-2003, 12:32 PM
So far, on this end, I still have ten fingers and no broken tools like yours. [May change tomorrow though] :rolleyes:
Steve

John Miliunas
09-16-2003, 1:19 PM
Bummer, Todd! But, like the other guys said, it could've been worse. Hey, but now you have a good excuse to replace that old PC333 with a nice Festool sander! Can you say, "SMO-O-O-O-O-O-OTH"?! :cool:

Todd Burch
09-16-2003, 1:59 PM
I called Bosch. For the whole underscribe base subassembly: $110. OUCH! More than I paid for the whole kit. I dug a little deeper in the parts diagram, and got by with only the 2 peices I need, with shipping, just over $65. 10-12 day wait. I bought them.

Hey John - on the Festool sander - do they have a 12 months same as cash plan? ;)

Jim Baker
09-16-2003, 5:27 PM
Bummer

Red Green could probably fix it with just a few cents worth of duct tape.

Duane M Swensen
09-16-2003, 8:25 PM
I called Bosch. For the whole underscribe base subassembly: $110. OUCH! More than I paid for the whole kit. I dug a little deeper in the parts diagram, and got by with only the 2 peices I need, with shipping, just over $65. 10-12 day wait. I bought them.

Hey John - on the Festool sander - do they have a 12 months same as cash plan? ;)
Why is it that repair parts cost more than the whole complete machine does?I found the same thing when the fan on my Freud router was damaged and would require a new armature for $175 when the whole router with edge guide was $179.Doesn't make sense to me.It must be our throw away philosophy.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-16-2003, 10:34 PM
As I remember KC doesn't drop his routers, he throws them. Of course the end result is the same, but at least he gets some emotional release out of the exercise. Sounds good to me but I can't afford it because I don't work with mesquite.

Howard Rosenberg
09-17-2003, 12:19 PM
I know what you mean, Todd. For some reason trim routers are real easy to drop (damhikt).
I had a Makita trim router that I must have dropped AT LEAST once EVERY DAY for more than four years!
After one particularly nasty spill, bounce & roll that weird green plastic shell finally gave - about a hairline wide and 3/8" long!
THAT was my justification to replace it with the same model but with a clear base and rack & pinion height adjust.
Now I can actually SEE the pencil lines on my templates!
Howard