PDA

View Full Version : FWW ROS Tool Review

Matt Guyrd
06-29-2006, 8:30 AM
I am in the market for a ROS. The most recent issue of FWW has a review of several ROS. Does anyone recall the model of the Bosch ROS in the article that the author thought was the better of the tested sanders? I would like to check it out at the local BORG and compare to the Dewalt and Ridgid.

Sadly, as most of you would recommend, I do not have the funds for a Festool, so a little consumer research on the less expensive ROS is in order.

Thanks a bunch!
Matt

Dave Boxmeyer
06-29-2006, 8:58 AM
I am in the market for a ROS. ... Does anyone recall the model of the Bosch ROS in the article that the author thought was the better of the tested sanders?...Thanks a bunch!
Matt

Matt,

FWW rated the Bosch 1295DVS as the best overall and best value model. They estimated the street price at $70. In th ecomments section, they said the Klingspor 1893DVS is essentially the same tool (although it's street price is $10 higher and I've never heard of Klingspor.)

Happy shopping!
-Dave

Rich Tesoroni
06-29-2006, 9:11 AM
I thought running the sanders on plexiglass was a good way to show the pattern they leave. Would have liked to have seen the pattern for each, not just examples.

Better than some of the other recent reviews.

Rich

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-29-2006, 9:42 AM
I have a Bosch PX270 AE

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/pex_270_ae_2.jpg

At first I really liked it, but now I find it to be a POS.

I have to take the pad off and clean the space between the pad and the body of the sander, as it clogs up, and then rubs. I use a shop vac on it, which gets most of the dust, but the constant clogging is a pain.

I hear the blue line of the Bosch stuff is better. Good luck!

PS, I'm saving up for a Festool :D

Matt Guyrd
06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Thank you!

Dave, can you confirm the model number...is it 1259DVS or 1295DVS. I do not have access to my magazine until I get home and was hoping to make a purchase beforehand.

Stu...I've never seen the green Bosch tools (which doesn't mean too much), is this exclusive to Japanese distributors? Are they manufactured differently or in different countries compared to the blue versions?

Thanks again, Fellas!
Matt

Chris Barton
06-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a Bosch PX270 AE

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/pex_270_ae_2.jpg

At first I really liked it, but now I find it to be a POS.

I have to take the pad off and clean the space between the pad and the body of the sander, as it clogs up, and then rubs. I use a shop vac on it, which gets most of the dust, but the constant clogging is a pain.

I hear the blue line of the Bosch stuff is better. Good luck!

PS, I'm saving up for a Festool :D

The Bosch was actually rated higher than the Festool...

Dave Boxmeyer
06-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I've also sent you a PM on this topic.

06-29-2006, 10:28 AM

Not THIS Bosch :D

06-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Thank you!

Dave, can you confirm the model number...is it 1259DVS or 1295DVS. I do not have access to my magazine until I get home and was hoping to make a purchase beforehand.

Stu...I've never seen the green Bosch tools (which doesn't mean too much), is this exclusive to Japanese distributors? Are they manufactured differently or in different countries compared to the blue versions?

Thanks again, Fellas!
Matt

Matt, the green Bosch are a lower grade of tools than the Blue ones.

It seems to me that the Green ones are more a hobby, homeowner type of thing. The blue ones are a lot more money over here.

Cheers!

Matt Guyrd
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Dave...thanks again!

Stu...I read where Tokyo was bumped from the #1 spot as most expensive city, by Moscow, believe it or not. Maybe in due time you can afford that Festool! I will foolishly think that Tokyo is getting cheaper as opposed to Moscow getting more expensive. Hey, I am a "glass is half full" kinda guy. :D

Thanks for the insight on Bosch's green-line.

Matt

Dave Falkenstein
06-29-2006, 5:52 PM

I had some questions about the testing of the Festool sander, and communicated with FWW and with Festool about my questions. After receiving replies, I STILL have reservations about the way the article says the test was run, using 8 hole paper. Festool sanders have a center hole that is integral to the design of the dust extraction. Effective dust extraction leads to almost no paper clogging and longer paper life. I have to wonder if the Festool sander would have been rated as more aggressive if the sander had been tested using Festool 9 hole paper. The article does state that the Festool sander was tested using both 8 hole and 9 hole paper, but only one set of results was published. Which one? I suspect it was the 8 hole test so that all of the sanders were tested using the same Norton 3X paper. Bottom line, I'm keeping my Festool sanders.

Per Swenson
06-29-2006, 6:10 PM
Thanks Dave,

Kinda like testing a corvette with bias/ply tires.

Per

Chris Padilla
06-29-2006, 7:09 PM
Bottom line, I'm keeping my Festool sanders.

And if you don't, there will be plenty of people to take it off your hands for 95 cents on the dollar! :)

Jim Becker
06-29-2006, 7:13 PM
And if you don't, there will be plenty of people to take it off your hands for 95 cents on the dollar!

Naa...use EBAY and you'll get a buck twenty five on the dollar...:D

Bruce Wrenn
06-29-2006, 9:53 PM
If you note in the final column of table, FWW said that they apear to be same machine, with almost identical results. But running the numbers shows that the Bosch performed better in some areas, while the Klingspor did better in others. The margin of difference was as much as 25% in some catigories. I think human prejudice entered into the testing. If I wanted a sander to sand more, simply press harder. Just today, I sent a letter to editor addressing this. Another WW magazine did a comparison of general purpose and combination blades this month. Including price, a Freud Diablo blade from Borg was as good as Forrest WWII. Don't get me wrong, as I have such Diablo blades on my job site miter and table saw. For thirty bucks you can't go wrong, but they aren't a Forrest WWII or Freud combo blade either.

Kev Coleman
06-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Its the 1295 dvs The 1295DVSK is on salw at amazon for 20 percent then 10 percent off plus free shipping. Not sure of the difference between the dvs and the dvsk model.

Bart Leetch
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I have this Makita sander & it has been a very good tool. Its dust pick up is pretty good. When I have a lot of sanding I hook it up to my shop vac.Yes that is a wooden lathe turned adapter to hook up to the shop vac.

Dave Falkenstein
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Its the 1295 dvs The 1295DVSK is on salw at amazon for 20 percent then 10 percent off plus free shipping. Not sure of the difference between the dvs and the dvsk model.

It looks like the 1295DVS and 1295DVSK are the same sander, but the 1295DVSK includes a carrying case:

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-subcategory.htm?H=175979&G=54925

"K" usually denotes a "kit".

Matt Guyrd
06-30-2006, 8:22 AM
I think any review/tool test, regardless of the source, is going to be bias to some degree. Could be something as absurd as color choice that might tip the scale for a reviewer, or a pocket full of money from a particular vendor. After all, whose to say a tool reviewer is anymore qualified to write a report than any of us? Sure, there are differences from tool to tool, but it boils down to personal preference. Do you like the feel? The cost? Does it do the job you need it to perform? Either way, Reviews should only be used as guidelines. It's like statistic...you can tweak any variable to ensure an outcome that is satisfying to your interests.

With that said, I purchased the Bosch 1295DVSK from Amazon for $55 w/ free shipping. My limited experience with orbital sanders does not allow me to make a good comparison, but through enough forum feedback, magazines, etc., I can make an educated guess and feel comfortable about the purchase, expecially at a reasonable price. As a hobbyist, I am sure it will be sufficient. If it was a matter of livelihood, I likely would have spent more time researching and using different sanders.

If I wasn't so cheap, I'd prefer an ROS with the handle like Stu's and Bart's sanders. One day, maybe.:D

Matt