PDA

View Full Version : Newby with Laser Questions

Brian Stezowski
06-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm looking at buying a laser and have been researching them for some time now. I've narrowed my choices down to a few but there is one machine that was found on ebay that really caught my interest (very low cost $$$). I know my decision should be based on what I plan on engraving/ cutting and what type of money I feel like spending. But with the price this low enough for the size and laser power so I figured I should ask the experts! So here we go...
Has anyone heard of, or do they own, a laser engraver from "Emission Technologies Inc."? It comes as a kit (not thrilled about that) and has a 48" by 24" work area with a 65W laser. I personally believe that service is almost as important as the machine itself so I'd like some history on this and the "company" before I seriously even consider it.

Worth lookin into? I don't know that's why I came to all of you. I've been following this forum for the last couple of weeks and I feel like I've been working with this stuff for months. You folks really know what you're doing. Keep the knowledge coming! :)

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Coming from another newbie... I've learned not to cheap out on tools. I've always regreted when I did. Remember, you're not just buying a laser tube and power supply. With something as exacting as a laser delivery system I wanted to be sure if a vector cut missed it's mark by .002 inch, I had a phone number to call... I spent a bit more $ than I wanted to, but enough to keep me from banging my head on the wall in 12 or 24 months.

Service, parts, power, down-time, usability, upgradability, availability of outside help... You're in the right place with your inquiry.

I spent more on my laser than my car. Would I buy a brand X kit laser on ebay to save a few thousand dollars? Not without talking to 10 people who are happy with the same product.

Mitch

Brian Stezowski
06-30-2006, 9:34 AM
Well put Mitch. I feel the same way but needed to hear it from someone else. I wish I had a laser here today. I can't wait!:D
Thanks again,

Brian

Roy Brewer
07-01-2006, 11:56 PM
It comes as a kit (not thrilled about that) and has a 48" by 24" work area with a 65W laser. :)

Mitchell,

Yes I'm biased, but IMHO there is an unrealistic amount of positive input on this forum in regards to the cheap lasers that are becoming available.

Personally, I've not seen a single one of the Chinese lasers that have made their purchaser happy. I'm not saying none are, I'm just saying I have not personally run across one outside of this forum.

Last week I installed a laser and the company owner and engineering staff were amazed that we just plugged it up and started working!
Only then did they take me to another room and show me a $2,000 laser that most of the engineering staff spent two full weeks trying to get the system running. They were unsuccessful and actually have more invested in a machine that never worked than they do in their new equipment that has never not worked!

Rodne Gold
07-03-2006, 3:04 AM
Roy, I think the traditional laser mnfgrs should be running real scared, this cheap machine problem is an issue for both them and us laser owners. Granted , today these machines might not be the most reliable or sophisticated , but as has been proven over the last few years , the chinese play catch up real quick. The barrier to entry for laser owners is cost of laser and if machines are available at 1/3rd of this , it makes current owners uncompetitive. Same thing has happened in the digital printing world , the cheap chinese machines were rubbish 2-3 yrs ago , they now arent!! Go to any machine tool distributor and look at whats coming out of china.
I have a pet theory that China is waging a secret war on the west , while we indulge in overseas wars and devote resources to all manner of unproductive things , the chinese have mobilized their economic resources and have forged ahead , it's way too late to put this genie back in the bottle.
We NEVER lost a 2-5000 piece badge order to China due to shoddy quality and poor delivery from them , now it's economical to place a 1000 piece order as delivery is under 3 weeks and quality is very good , all at UNDER my material costs!!!!!
We can all bleat about unfair labour practices and so forth , but at the end of it all , the man in the street shuts his eyes to all this if the price is low and the quality reasonable
I have a pal that bought a CnC machine from the co touting these lasers (actually the one laser being sold for $2k is actually $1k from source and a 1200 x 900 80w is $4k) and his is thrilled with its performance for its price.
Doesn't bode well for the rest of us.
I wouldnt ignore this or phoo phoo it , it will not go away.

Dave Jones
07-03-2006, 10:36 AM
In the late 50s and early 60s the Japanese made radios which were considered cheap, crappy quality imitations of western radios. Within a decade they were designing their own and making ones as good as most other companies.

Within another decade most of those other companies were either gone or had moved manufacturing to Japan. With the booming economy in Japan it became too expensive to manufacture there, so they set up factories in Taiwan and made them there.

After a while the Taiwanese learned how to design and make their own electronics, and with a booming economy it became too expensive for the Japanese. So they set up factories in Korea. After a while the Koreans learned how to design and manufacture themselves, and it became too expensive there. So the Japanese set up factories in China.

Today the Japanese design some of the best consumer products out there. Pretty much every computer mother board is designed and made by the Taiwanese. The majority of computer displays and until recently the majority of TV sets came from Korea. And pretty much all other consumer electronics are made in China.

In the 60s the Japanese made cheap crappy cars. Within a decade.......

See a pattern here?

I wonder when we'll start seeing Chinese cars over here.

Manufacturers of all kinds should be nervous about the Chinese. One of the major manufactures of laser engravers is already a Taiwanese company with factories in China. GCC/LaserPro.

The quality of those cheap Chinese lasers will go up rapidly and they will no doubt take over the industry eventually. They are making those cheap glass laser tubes now, but it's only a matter of time before they make the sophisticated kind there too. By that time nobody will be able to compete with them.

Roy Brewer
07-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I wouldnt ignore this or phoo phoo it , it will not go away.

Rodney,

Undoubtedly sound advice. Believe me, I'm far from ignoring! While I doubt if I would consider distributing engraving equipment from China with the stellar lines I currently represent, but I continue to look over the products from China that I might catch the attention of the "man in the street" to which you referred. Cutter grinders, CNC routers, vinyl lettering machines... continue to look attractive.

Vince Williams
07-09-2006, 9:33 PM
Hey everyone, My name is Vince Williams I am new to the laser engraving world!! Matter of fact so new my machince will arrive in about 6 days. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions when I get going!! I have purchased a 25 watt Pinnacle M-series from signware house. I hope to hear from some of yall soon!! Thanx:)

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Welcome.

First, you will have tons of questions, we're all here to help. We've all been there, done that.

Second, be sure to start a new thread when posting a question. Posting questions buried in a reply (as you did here) may cause most of us to miss your call for help.

Mitch

Frank Corker
07-11-2006, 7:47 PM
Well a quick search comes up with this

http://www.emissiontechnologies.com/

appears to be in a kit form. Rodne is quite correct that the next 'superpower' is without going to be the Chinese. Once they have a taste for Western capitalism it will be enevitable that they will change. Not a matter of when but more how soon.

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2006, 7:55 PM
Well a quick search comes up with this

http://www.emissiontechnologies.com/

appears to be in a kit form. Rodne is quite correct that the next 'superpower' is without going to be the Chinese. Once they have a taste for Western capitalism it will be enevitable that they will change. Not a matter of when but more how soon.
Frank,

I have made some signs with Stainless steel mounted onto 1/4" PVC for a customer, and they needed another one. I looked in the new catalog from my local metal supplier that came recently and instead of prices many items say "call for market pricing". I called them and the piece I need has doubled in less than a year. He explained that the prices are jumping due to a shortage created by the volume of metals being shipped to China, where they are stocking up in preparation for an industrial boom. As I recall this forum is supposed to be free from politics so I'll end it there.

Frank Corker
07-11-2006, 8:15 PM
I agree, it should be political free, but a little bit of knowledge can help sometimes, but I too will end my two penneth worth