PDA

View Full Version : My 1st (sorta) and 2nd Bowls

Jerry Vander Till
06-28-2006, 9:53 PM
Well, after scoring the sharpening jigs over the weekend, I sharpened up my new bowl gouges and got after it! Maybe I got after it a little too good. This is/was my first bowl. By the time I started figuring out how to present the tool to the wood, I didn't have a lot of wood left :eek:

I believe it's mahogany from a box of wood I've been hauling around for 20 years.

Bowl 2 turned out a little better. It's 1 1/2 by 6 from the same chunk of mahogany(?) as bowl 1, finished with wipe on poly and wax.

No wet curlies, but still a lot of fun!

The vortex sucketh mightily!

Corey Hallagan
06-28-2006, 9:57 PM
Wow, Jerry that is awesome! I have never turned a bowl but I don't think it is that easy to turn a rolled edge like that. You did real good! Nice job Jerry!

Corey

Curt Fuller
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Great bowl for a first or even second.

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Looks good me to Jerry.!!! Congrats. :cool:

Tom Sherman
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
A very respectable first and second effort Jerry. Looks like you've been at it for a lot longer than you actually have. Great work.

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Looks good to me Jerry. I like the form and the wood. I am getting ready to turn 8 salad bowls and one 13 1/2" X 5" deep salad bowl out of mahogany for my DIL for Christmas. I really like turning mahogany. Nice wood. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Excellent bowl Jerry! You are on the fast track! You are a natural! Fantastic 2nd or 22nd bowl!

Mark Cothren
06-29-2006, 7:28 AM
Great work, Jerry! You turned a nice bowl there!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-29-2006, 8:21 AM
Hey Jerry, looks good, and I think you get an award for the largest funnel in a while ;) :D

Yep, BTDT, I ploded a few bowls by getting carried away too!

keep them coming!

Cheers!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-29-2006, 8:41 AM
Nice work, Jerry. I'm sorry that your attempt at a klein bowl failed---the form was looking very nice. The second one is an absolute beaut, however. Those photos really show off the grain and pore structure nicely.

Jim Stoppleworth
06-29-2006, 9:50 AM
Nice work, Jerry. I'm sorry that your attempt at a klein bowl failed---the form was looking very nice. The second one is an absolute beaut, however. Those photos really show off the grain and pore structure nicely.

Jerry beautiful second bowl!

Henry, what is a klein bowl?

Jim

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Jim, a klein bowl would be a bowl made in a method similar to a klein bottle---that is to say a container which only has one distinct surface (kinda like a mobius strip, but a container). It's a little joke I made up to refer to when one attempts to make the inner diameter greater than the outer diameter. :)

Don Baer
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
I did one like your first last weekend. Good job on the second one.

Rich Stewart
06-29-2006, 2:15 PM
Nice job. I guess everybody has blown up a few. I went through about 5 now. I like mahogany too. I put sanding sealer on it to cover those pores. Comes out slick. Shines like glass.

Joe Pendleton
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Gary,

Nice bowls. Monday I bought a piece of cherry to turn my first bowl with my net Jet VS mini lathe or my new Rikon lathe. But, last night someone broke into my garage and stole both lathes, all turning tools, disk sander (air tool). I am very depressed about the whole thing. When I look a good work like you posted it gives some encouragement...I have closed down my woodshop, pushed everything into the corners of the garage and wait for healing...keep posting that good stuff Gary. I live in Greenville, so we are neighbors.

Joe (latheless) Pendleton
or
I got lathed twice one night recently!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-30-2006, 3:30 PM
A Pox on all thieves!:mad:

Sorry for your loss Joe

Sam Blasco
06-30-2006, 3:31 PM
I'm partial to the first one... all mistakes in the shop usually lead to somewhere interesting. Sure hope you didn't throw it out cause it's almost there.

Jerry Vander Till
06-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Rich,

Thanks for the comment about sanding sealer. I'm going to have to get my hands on some because I have a couple more pieces of that mahogany.

Jerry Vander Till
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Joe,

That's unbelievable. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. If you need a turning fix before you get your lathes back, maybe we could hook up.

I live between Grandville and Hudsonville so we're on opposite corners of town.

Jerry Vander Till
06-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Sam,
I glued the bowl back together and put a finish on it. It's sitting in my workshop and I'll use it for spare screws, nails, an ashtray, something...

I was pretty happy with the shape until...:eek:

I think I'll have to dig up another blank that size and try that shape again.

Ernie Nyvall
07-02-2006, 3:09 AM
Looks good for however many bowls done Jerry. Keep it up.

Ernie