PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to store logs outside?

Tim Solley
06-28-2006, 3:28 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I recently scored a truck load of red oak logs. Today I managed to score two large mesquite trees and will be bringing them home tonight, all chunked up.

Now I don't have enough room in my shop to store all this wood. My plan is to just store it in my back yard, with the end grain sealed. Is it okay to leave the wood out in the elements? It's just sitting in the grass. Should I build a little shelter to keep the rain off it and keep it off the ground?

What do you all do? Thanks for any input.

Tim

Don Baer
06-28-2006, 3:31 PM
Tim,
I'd put some boards and/or blocks under em and tarp em. I don't think putting them on the gress is a good Idea. I'd also make sure that the tarp is open so you get good airflow.

Tom Sherman
06-28-2006, 3:45 PM
Tim I agree with Don, I have a couple of old pallets that my son brought and a good bit of wood stacked on it behind my garage. I have it covered with a tarp but the ends are open to let air circulate.

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2006, 3:48 PM
Tim I could help you out with the mesquite. I have plenty of room for several logs up here and would be glad to store them for you say for a........bowl blank or two. :p

Seriously I leave mine in log form until I need bowl blanks then cut them. I leave the logs about 8" to 12" longer than I need with the ends sealed. That way if there are small cracks I can cut it off to good wood with a chain saw. Then I cover them with 2 layers of 6 mil plastic which is what I had a load of so just used it. I prop a board up on each end to keep the plastic from flopping in the breeze but yet is open to air flow. I have a couple of logs painted with latex paint which have been out there 5 months at least and no cracks.

Mark Patoka
06-28-2006, 4:22 PM
The red oak logs I scored as future turning stock were cut about 12" long. I painted the ends with latex paint. They are stacked under my deck so they don't catch the full force of the elements. Looks like they are holding out pretty well and not seeing much splitting after one year.

Cecil Arnold
06-28-2006, 5:43 PM
Tom, I would also put some form of bug treatment on that misquite. It seems that as soon as it hits the ground there is a bore that starts to work on it, but not while the tree is standing.

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2006, 5:49 PM
If I want the new wood to "spalt"? Then I leave it outside for about 2 to 3 months and then bring it in the shop and let it sit for another 3 or 4 months. Other than that? I try to store my wood in the shop if I can.

Steve Clardy
06-28-2006, 6:50 PM
Logs need to be up off the ground. 4x4 wood, concrete blocks, or whatever you have.

Raymond Overman
06-28-2006, 7:34 PM
I store mine right on the ground sometimes and I have some on some old wooden pallets. I keep them outside standing up like the tree grew in 3-4 foot logs until I get ready to use them. For hickory that I want to spalt, I leave it on the ground surrounded by leaf rot.

Reed Gray
06-28-2006, 7:40 PM
Well, you live in Texas, which to me means hot and humid this time of year. Not a problem to keep them outside. I would keep them out of sun and wind. Summer here in Oregon is our dry time, and one day of sun and wind will destroy about any wood. I do like to put one end on the ground. That end will stay moist, and there is almost no cracking. Bugs can be a problem. I do like to pile a lot of shavings on the logs, and get them wet, then cover with a white tarp. This seems to keep even the most difficult woods in good shape. A stable micro enviroment is good for your wood, moist, and not too hot.
robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2006, 7:53 PM
I leave it on the ground surrounded by leaf rot.

Good point Raymond!!!!! :D

Tim Solley
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate your experience and willingness to share it as usual.

As for the score, I picked it up last night after work. My long bed is heaping with mesquite logs, most about 15 inches in diameter. If I had to guess how much is there, I'd say over 3000 pounds of wood. Of course, no pictures....

Now I have to get it out of the truck and stored. This is hard work when you're trying to recover from a back injury caused by a car accident :eek:. That and I'm racing to finish the dresser for my first son's room who will be born in less than three weeks!

Thanks again all. Tim

Ed Breen
07-03-2006, 4:28 PM
Hey Tim,
i'm in the same boat! We just hads a maple cut down and I had them leave the base and several crotches. Yesterday I had to use the tractor to move the logs over by the shop. For a while I would borrow a friends motor puller for heavy work I finally bought a 2 tonner for myself. This weekend I'll take it out to the pile and hoist the logs, put concrete blocks as supports and cover with a tarp. At 77 I use all the mechanical help I can get, especially when I live rural. See if any pals have a motor puller.
good luck
Ed