PDA

View Full Version : Catalpa

Jim Baker
09-15-2003, 8:14 PM
A coworker has a catalpa tree that he has to take down. He is wondering if it has any value to woodworkers. Any ideas?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-15-2003, 8:38 PM
No experience with the wood but save the worms for fish bait.

John Miliunas
09-15-2003, 9:05 PM
It actually has some pretty nice grain to it. Other than that, I don't much care for it. It's a real soft wood, lightweight, though it takes stain pretty evenly. Might be OK for frames or something like that, but too soft for anything more rugged. Smells like the dickens when working it. Icky! Did I happen to mention that it's REALLY soft? :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-15-2003, 9:19 PM
Jim,

Don and John are both correct. The Catalpa Tree is famous for the Catawba Moth Caterpillar, which is often found when the tree is in bloom. The "Worms" are fantastic fish bait, and around these parts, they are prized and excellent bait for Bluegill and Crappie. I know where there is a grove of large Catalpa's, and I always visit them when they are in bloom............they have beautiful flowers. The wood is not really good for weight bearing, structural type applications, but it is widely used for carving and turning. While it is a hardwood tree, the wood is soft. The most common use for the wood that I have seen is Urns for the Funeral Industry. The grain is a lot like Ash, and the colors can be a grey/white to a cream colored wood. It is supposedly turns very well, and it has good decay resistance and is a very stable wood, so movement would be a lesser concern when used for turning, which is a plus. I remember reading somewhere that is can emit a Creasote-type odor when turned, so that my be a nuisance..........but it can't be any "stinkier" that Elm can be. I would say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose! ;) Let us know how it works out for you.

Jim Becker
09-15-2003, 10:39 PM
I've only seen it used for turning, but what I've seen has been quite attractive as Kevin indicates.

Noah Alkinburgh
09-16-2003, 4:47 PM
I've only seen it used for turning, but what I've seen has been quite attractive as Kevin indicates.

Speaking of what kind of tree is it and stinky wood....I picked up a big hunk of log from the side of the read where they were doing tree trimming (no I don't have the lathe bug at all) it almost killed me getting it up in the back end of the van. The wood made the vehicle smell like my sons messy diapers :D My daughter got in the van and said "Is it messy in here?" The bark is rough and has ridges and valleys. I can get a pic of it but just thought I would ask if from that description anyone can tell me what it is.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

noah

Phil Phelps
09-16-2003, 5:14 PM
Speaking of what kind of tree is it and stinky wood....I picked up a big hunk of log from the side of the read where they were doing tree trimming (no I don't have the lathe bug at all) it almost killed me getting it up in the back end of the van. The wood made the vehicle smell like my sons messy diapers :D My daughter got in the van and said "Is it messy in here?" The bark is rough and has ridges and valleys. I can get a pic of it but just thought I would ask if from that description anyone can tell me what it is.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

noah
If it smells that bad, it must have come from an ash :rolleyes: :D :p

Todd Burch
09-16-2003, 6:27 PM
There is a slang term for some kinds of elm - "piss elm".

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-16-2003, 8:14 PM
Without seeing a picture of the Log, I would have to side with Todd. This is a shot in the dark, but I would put my money on Elm at this point. Some Elm is NASTY smelling, and some is not. By the way, did you check YOURSELF after wrestling that monster into the Van? :D I just had to ask Noah! :p

Terry Quiram
09-16-2003, 9:11 PM
One way to verify identity at this time of year Catalpa is loaded with very long seed pods. I have scrolled Catalpa with great success. It holds detail very well, but is pretty fragile and I have to be very careful sanding. Catalpa does stink when it is cut. The shop will smell for days. This piece is 1/8 thick and quarter sawn. If it is free then get some and try your hand at carving. Wow this stuff is great for carving. This picture is very, very close to actual color.

Terry

Anthony Yakonick
09-16-2003, 9:57 PM
DO NOT put any green catalpa on any unfinished metal surface, my table saw still has 1/4" pits from an overnight encounter with some :mad: