PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh It's finished

Lee Schierer
06-28-2006, 1:01 PM
My wife has been after me for a while to replace her store bought jewelry case with one that is larger. After several lengthy discussions about size and design, we came up with this plan. Much of the cherry came from a couple of hunks that Dominic Greco gave me at a Five Barns picnic a couple of years ago. The rest of the cherry came from my neighbor's mantle that I salvaged from the burn pile. The curly maple came from my local wood source and was specially selected for this project.

The first photo shows the case closed. The doors are held closed with a couple of rare earth magnets. The pieces of wood in the doors were resawn on my 14" BS and are book matched. The hinges are the simple pin hinges. In the second photo, the doors are open fully flat on each side giving her full access to all her necklaces, no she doesn't have that many (yet :D ). The top opens to reveal the top tray (false drawer). LOML didn't want a mirror on the top panel, she preferred to see the curly cherry.

The drawer fronts are solid cherry and made from consecutive parallel pieces from top to bottom. The drawer boxes are also made with curly maple. They are lined with an adhesive backed felt from the local craft store. The drawer boxes have locking rabbet joints at each corner and the bottoms are 1/16" plywood also from the craft store, set into dados. The drawer runners and dividers are all dovetailed so they can move with the seasonal changes. The maple vertical pieces that form the sides of the drawer compartment are set into the bottom board and back board with dovetails. The drawer pulls are solid brass pulls from Woodworkers Supply. I had to do some metal cutting to get the gigantic screw studs they provide to work in my 1/4" thick drawer fronts. They were #8 screws, 3/4 inch long.

The back is made up of two book matched pieces from the mantle. No my neighbor hasn't seen it yet. The trim piece at the top was required to allow the top to lift open. The base board is dovetailed into two side pieces of molding. this will allow for seasonal wood movement. With all the dovetails, most of the box could be assembled and disassembled with out glue during the course of construction to check for fit and function.

The finish is Deft semi-gloss clear wood finish which allows the natural color cherry to show through and enhances the curly nature of the cherry. There are 3-4 coats on all pieces, sanded flat and then hand rubbed out after the final coat. I expect that it will darken some with age. I probably have about 50-60 hours in this getting things to fit right and to work out design details so that the hinged doors and lid would work the way I wanted them to. I also had to work on it around other projects.

Size wise, it is about 18" tall 10" wide and about 6-1/2 deep

thanks for viewing.

Jim O'Dell
06-28-2006, 1:03 PM
Very nice, Lee. I'm sure you made some brownie points with that! Jim.

David Duke
06-28-2006, 1:08 PM
Nice work Lee, this is similar to what SHMBO is wanting me to make her....gotta figure out how to get a new tool out of it :D :D !

tod evans
06-28-2006, 1:09 PM
nice work lee!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-28-2006, 1:20 PM
Ah..........thanks Lee. SWMBO saw this...........guesss what she said!

Excellent design and execution....BTW!

John Scarpa
06-28-2006, 1:22 PM
Lee,

Nice clean desgin and execution. I really appreciate the details in your description!

Bob Childress
06-28-2006, 1:49 PM
Very nice work Lee. I wish my neighbors would throw out some cherry:D

Even if they did, I don't know that I could match that workmanship. Your spouse must be thrilled.

Roger Los
06-28-2006, 1:55 PM
Very nice design and workmanship!

Alain Tellier
06-28-2006, 2:27 PM
Wow that is a very nice jewelry box. I like the color and the way it opens.

Congrats!

Chris Padilla
06-28-2006, 3:40 PM
purty, purty!!

Tom Sherman
06-28-2006, 3:48 PM
Nice work Lee, looks like the LOYL has room for more jewelry now, I bet she loves it.

Jesse Cloud
06-28-2006, 3:57 PM
Looks great. Very clever design.

JIm McMullen
06-28-2006, 5:10 PM
Very nice work, Lee. You really planned the project well (lots of places for lots of goodies!)

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2006, 6:24 PM
Very nice Lee..!!!! You did some very nice work on this and I'm sure that the LOYL is thrilled with it. Very pretty.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-28-2006, 6:32 PM
Nice design and execution! Gotta love cherry for projects such as this.

Nissim Avrahami
06-28-2006, 6:37 PM
That’s a…..work, no wonder that you said Ah…

But you did it sooo beautiful. I would never imagine that behind those doors I’ll find drawers, very smart design and grate work.

niki

Ron Robinson
06-28-2006, 6:57 PM
Beautiful Lee. Design, execution, wood choice. All wonderful.

Ron Robinson

John Timberlake
06-28-2006, 8:27 PM
Great design. Love the subtle contrast between the cherry and maple. Interesting way of providing storage for necklaces. Love it.

lou sansone
06-28-2006, 9:32 PM
great looking piece. now on to the next one
lou

Corey Hallagan
06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Simpley beautiful Lee! Very nice job.

corey

Jim Becker
06-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Lee, that's really very nice!! Perhaps you'll bring it along to Five Barns?? Good gloat factor on that one...beautiful!!

Vaughn McMillan
06-29-2006, 3:15 AM
Very nice job. Lee. I echo the sentiments about the beautiful wood, the great execution, and the clean design. I like the double-hinged doors -- that's a brilliant idea.

- Vaughn

Tyler Howell
06-29-2006, 7:54 AM
Ahhhh is right. Well done:cool:

Larry Crim
06-29-2006, 3:57 PM
nice piece lee very clean lines looks good
Larry