PDA

View Full Version : Which forstner bits to buy?

Louis Brandt
06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello,
Does anyone have an opinion about which brand (Freud or Porter-Cable) forstner bits to buy? I need to buy two or three medium size forstner bits, and I’ve seen some Freud bits for about $12 each at Lowe’s, but Home Depot is selling a whole set of (I think 10 or 12) Porter-Cable forstner bits for $44.95. The Freud package says that they are made in Austria, but I don’t know where the Porter-Cable bits are made. Neither of them mentions carbon steel, so I don’t know whether that’s a consideration or not.
I don’t plan on doing all that much drilling with them, but I do want quality bits, and I’d like to know which way to go between the Porter-Cable set or the individual Freud bits.
Louis

Per Swenson
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Just an opinion,

You can't go wrong here.....

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42244&cat=1,180,42240

Per

James Biddle
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree. Quality bits = Lee Valley.

Alain Tellier
06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Ditto for the Lee Valley. Especially the HSS ones, they cut very clean in hardwood.

Dave Sweeney
06-28-2006, 1:09 PM
What I did was buy an inexpensive set from Harbor Freight. Then, as the individual bits wear out I replaced them with better quality bits like the Freuds and Lee Valleys. In the long run I think I saved compared to buying a full set of expensive bits which more than likely has many sizes that I'll probably never use. Even the real cheapo bits drill nice holes when they're new so if I do ever need one of the odd size bits, I'm covered with the HF set.

Brian Hale
06-28-2006, 4:11 PM
Just an opinion,

Per

Ditto 3X

Brian :)

Larry Cooke
06-28-2006, 4:17 PM
Just an opinion,

PerDitto x 4. Practically the last ones you'll need to buy IMO.

Larry

Jim Becker
06-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Buy a reasonably priced set to start and take note of the sizes you use the most. When you get unhappy with them, replace those sizes with "really good ones"...

John Miliunas
06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
If you're only buying two or three, get the best: "Bormax"!!! They're expensive but, I've yet to see any other forstner bit cut as well and last as long, including the LV ones! :) LV's are good but, the "Bormax", IMHO, are the best. Not sure where else you may find them but, I get mine through Woodcraft. Just my .02... :) :cool:

Charles McCracken
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Louis,

The Freud forstners will drill at much higher RPMs than almost any others on the market (including PC's) and so are a lot less likely to burn up. HTH.

Peter Gavin
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
I also bought the cheapo HF set and I found that after I sharpened them they work fine. My question is can the Lee Valley HSS ones be sharpened? Any bit will dull with time so I would like to ensure that.

Peter

Doyle Alley
06-29-2006, 1:01 PM
Louis,

The Freud forstners will drill at much higher RPMs than almost any others on the market (including PC's) and so are a lot less likely to burn up. HTH.

Charles, Freud seems to have 2 flavors of forstners. The ones sold at the big box stores don't look like the ones sold through true woodworking stores. What's the difference?

glenn bradley
06-29-2006, 1:02 PM
Not steering you away from buying Frued or PC but as you say "I don’t plan on doing all that much drilling with them". I picked up this 7 piece set on sale for $10 expecting it to last through a couple jobs.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=774

Almost a year later they are still working great and I have yet to sharpen them after drilling oak, maple, etc. (probably wouldn't bother with the sharpening effort at this price for the set). When one does finally give up I will replace it with a quality bit but, I'm still waiting.

Mike Kelly
06-29-2006, 1:19 PM
Freud also makes some carbide tipped forstners that are nice.

Charles McCracken
06-29-2006, 5:25 PM
Doyle,

We actually offer three types. The Diablo bits at HD and the Precision Shear at Lowe's (and elsewhere) are forged steel and are similar in grind but the PS bits have a more pronounced wavy edge that can be turned a little faster than the Diablo's (which have a slight wave and can cut faster than most others). Carbide tipped is the third type and by far the best in regards to life, cut quality and speed.

Larry Cooke
06-29-2006, 5:49 PM
Carbide tipped is the third type and by far the best in regards to life, cut quality and speed.Charles,

Where would one go for your carbide tipped bits?

Larry

Dave Falkenstein
06-29-2006, 6:13 PM
Can anyone comment on how the CMT Forstner bits (non carbide) sold by McFeely's compare to the Bormax or Lee Valley bits???

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sid=527

Dave Falkenstein
06-29-2006, 6:37 PM
Charles,

Where would one go for your carbide tipped bits?

Larry

I'm not Charles, but:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sid=528

A quote from the McFeely's description:

"With Carbide Tips, these bits easily cut through Corian, Avonite and other solid surface materials, and they stay sharp longer in hard materials like maple due to their super sharp carbide. Not recommended for soft materials like pine or poplar, however - use standard Forstner bits."

Larry Cooke
06-29-2006, 6:55 PM
A quote from the McFeely's description:Thank you Dave.

It seems odd that they're not recommended for softer woods though.

Larry

Charles McCracken
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Freud recommends them for softwoods, hardwoods plywoods and composites. McFeely's made the recommendation against softwood and I'm not sure why.

Dave Falkenstein
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Freud recommends them for softwoods, hardwoods plywoods and composites. McFeely's made the recommendation against softwood and I'm not sure why.

Perhaps McFeely's wants to sell us two sets of forstner bits??? Smile!!!