PDA

View Full Version : Very Helpful Wife Gloat

Joe Pelonio
06-28-2006, 11:38 AM
:D My daughter wants to move in to the larger bedroom former occupied by my oldest who has her own apartment now. We're getting it ready for paint and my plan for this weekend was to scrape off the popcorn ceiling, retexture it and get it painted, then move her across the hall. I've tried to do some work in the evenings but with it being in the 90s have managed only to paint the closet doors and spackle the holes from pictures and posters.

Well, last night I get home, and find that the baseboards have been painted, primer and topcoat, and 1/3 of the ceiling has been scraped off.

:eek: My wife got up at 6am and got that much done by the time it got hot.

Don Baer
06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
You've got a real keeper there..did you take her out to dinner after doing all of that work ?

Joe Pelonio
06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
You've got a real keeper there..did you take her out to dinner after doing all of that work ?
I offered but she was too tired. Instead we'll do that after we're done with the whole job. I did make dinner, BBQ'd steaks.

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
She's a keeper Joe....!!!!!!

Bruce Benjamin
06-28-2006, 1:01 PM
Why did she quit before she finished the job? Only 1/3 of the ceiling? You let them get away with that sort of work and the next thing you know they'll want to be able to wear shoes and go outside everyday. ;)

Mine mows the lawn every time now but that's only because of my bum leg. I offered to try but she said that it would be easier for her to mow it herself than to keep coming out to pick me up when my knee gives out. :eek:

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
06-28-2006, 3:12 PM
Why did she quit before she finished the job? Only 1/3 of the ceiling? You let them get away with that sort of work and the next thing you know they'll want to be able to wear shoes and go outside everyday. ;)

Mine mows the lawn every time now but that's only because of my bum leg. I offered to try but she said that it would be easier for her to mow it herself than to keep coming out to pick me up when my knee gives out. :eek:

Bruce
http://www.signforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif (javascript:emoticon(':roflmao:', 'smid_55'))http://www.signforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif (javascript:emoticon(':roflmao:', 'smid_55'))http://www.signforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif (javascript:emoticon(':roflmao:', 'smid_55'))
I'm really optomistic that at least another 3rd will be done when I get home tonight, though I told her I'd finish it Saturday. Back when I had my appendix removed she tried to mow the lawn but couldn't get the engine started. Finally my son came home and started it for her but then he did the mowing.

Bob Childress
06-28-2006, 3:32 PM
My SWMBO is a sort of garden tool junkie similar to my power tool addiction. Thank heavans! Bought her a riding mower and she won't let me near it. A battery-powered weed whacker she thinks is just wonderful. Hedge clippers, etc. etc. She would probably dig post holes if I bought a power auger.:) (But I don't need any post holes.)

On top of that, she loves to SAND:D What more could you ask for?

Joe, I guess we both hit the jackpot. But my LOL would not have scraped the ceiling. Unless I bought her a POWER scraper.:rolleyes:

Mark Rios
06-28-2006, 4:09 PM
That's a wife that deserves EXTRA yummies. ;)

Chris Padilla
06-28-2006, 4:57 PM
I hope the ceiling scrape was done BEFORE the priming/topcoating! ;)

On a side note, the "popcorn" or "accoustical" ceilings in my house have asbestos in them....

Bruce Benjamin
06-28-2006, 8:13 PM
My wife does try to do some light home repairs from time to time but I usually discourage it. She once installed a towel hook in one of our bathrooms without asking me how to do it. Of course she didn't even try to hit a stud or use any sort of drywall anchor. And, of course it yanked right out of the wall and left a nice sized hole. So instead of telling me so I could fix it, (I was a painter for quite a few years) she finds some cheap hole patch spackle and does it herself. Instead of just filling the pinky sized hole she smears it over an 8" in diameter area smoothing out the texture on the drywall. Well, now instead of having a very small, practically invisible spot we have a nice big smooth spot in the middle of the knock-down spackle wall. Thanks for helping, dear! :rolleyes: She meant well but I've tried to convince her to at least ask for advice before doing it herself. I won't bother you with the details of the time she installed a new curtain rod in our bedroom without asking for help. Sigh...Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
06-29-2006, 7:53 AM
Update: I got home last night and the ceiling was all scraped except for the area above a couple of dressers and small desk that I had pushed together in the center of the room last weekend. I figured she couldn't move them by herself, so I went ahead and moved them out of the way.