PDA

View Full Version : searching help

Tom Jones III
06-28-2006, 9:59 AM
I'm trying to decide on a new BS and rather than post the usual daily thread I'm trying to use searches to drag up the carcase of this dead horse. Unfortunately searching for posts talking about the Jet 18" BS is harder than I thought. The search engine excludes the word "Jet" and excludes 18. The model number only turns up 2 threads.

Any tips on how to search for posts with comments on this subject?

Aaron Beaver
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Hard to do multiple word searches from what I can tell, sometimes I wish the search engine had an option for "exact phrase" or something similar instead of just searching Title & Thread.

Chuck Trisdale
06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
So I eventually just posted my question below about the Grizzly BS. I guess it just creates more threads for us to discuss though!! :D

Which ones are you looking at? Obviously a Jet - which one(s)

Tom Jones III
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm looking at the Jet 18" and the Delta 18" and also the Grizzly G0514X 19". The Jet 18" looks pretty nice for the price ($1099) which includes delivery right into my shop and on my schedule not just an 18 wheeler parked at my curb at some random hour.

I've seen the Jet 18 at my local shop (The Cutting Edge) and they have a Delta 18 which is still in the crate. I'll take a look at the Delta when it is unpacked.

Chuck Trisdale
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Do most of them just pull up and not bring it in? I am ignorant to this aspect. My shop is in the garage - 20 feet from the main street. Someone is always at the house, but it usually isnt me during the day - so it is going to be a problem if they won't bring them in. Hey - it may make my decision easier.

Or is it bc you are buying from the local dealer that you can pick the time and they bring it in the shop?

Tom Jones III
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
All of what I have to say is based on reading through threads here and elsewhere. If you are considering Grizzly I suggest you check through threads yourself and then give Grizzly a call.

From my reading of the threads it appears that the quality of Grizzly tools is really improving ... to the point that they are at least as good as Jet/Delta and some people would argue that they are getting better. People seem especially excited about their jointers and BS. There are two reasons why I lean away from Grizzly, first I want to spend some time with my hands on a $1000+ tool before I buy it, and second I just don't want the hassle of delivery problems.

Past threads have included a few stories of missed delivery dates, then a large truck pulling up at the curb but the truck doesn't have a lift gate. Some threads have indicated for an additional charge you can get lift gate service, but some of those stories indicate that sometimes they don't come with a lift gate then you have to wait until they come back. Even then you've got a 400-800 lb tool sitting on the street in front of your house. I've read a few threads where the driver helped get the tool off the street, but I've not seen enough of those threads to convince me that it is a common occurrence.

The local shop, Cutting Edge in Houston, has decent and sometimes great prices and for $35 they will set the tool in the exact spot you show them, at the exact time you scheduled. With both my TS and lathe they even did the major assembly for me before they even delivered it. There is unlikely to be a problem with the tool b/c they've already set it up in their store. Should there be a problem with the tool there are no concerns about shipping a warped cast iron table back or any of that trouble.

If Grizzly offered delivery service like this, even for considerably more money, then I would be much more tempted to buy Grizzly.

Scott Donley
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm trying to decide on a new BS and rather than post the usual daily thread I'm trying to use searches to drag up the carcase of this dead horse. Unfortunately searching for posts talking about the Jet 18" BS is harder than I thought. The search engine excludes the word "Jet" and excludes 18. The model number only turns up 2 threads.

Any tips on how to search for posts with comments on this subject? For a advanced search, read this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27143

Brian Buckley
06-29-2006, 7:54 AM
Tom,
You might also want to check Circle Saw in Houston. They will assemble the tool and check everything out before delivery. They are not cheap, but will give you good old fashion service. They are also a very nice bunch of people.

Brian

tod evans
06-29-2006, 8:16 AM
kudos to you tom! for supporting your local businesses. tod