PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle Oak burl

"Roy Haney"
06-28-2006, 6:30 AM
Since I own a sawmill I get to see some interesting things.
A logger just pulled out of the woods a four foot across burl that girthed a 18" log. This thing is enormuss. The land owner wants to do something with it but is lost on how and doesn't have the equipment.
Any ideas?

Barbara Gill
06-28-2006, 8:46 AM
I had a cherry burl that was about that large. I had to slice off a little bit of the outside from each side with my chainsaw so that my sawmill head could pass. The burl had some of the trunk of the tree attached so that many of the slabbed pieces were in the shape of a tree. I cut them 1 1/2"- 2" thick. Slabbed like that they have a special value to flat woodworkers making the value very high. There was enough left for quite a few plate blanks. I sold the large blanks by the pound since I had the ability to weigh them. You will have to do a little research to decide a good price per pound.

Gary Max
06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Heck the first thing I did after I read the post---Mapquest.
Dang that's 200 miles away--- 400 mile round trip.
Just to much of a road trip after last week but I sure could do just about anything with that burl.
I would make several thing out of it.

"Roy Haney"
06-29-2006, 7:26 AM
If I had to guess this thing probably weights 1000. pounds.

kevin nee
02-21-2017, 3:17 AM
I had a big oak Burl. I quartered it and brought it to the bandsaw mill. Determined thicknesses of cuts after seeing what's inside. I cut with the grain of the tree.

kevin nee
02-21-2017, 3:27 AM
I had another one, no way to lift it onto th truck. Cut it up with a chainsaw. Sawmill is first choice much better finished product.

354505 354506

William Bachtel
02-21-2017, 1:15 PM
Cool I love Burl. I have had several burls over 1200 each, Walnut, Red Oak, and Maple, lot of work, but a lot of burl. Cool

John Hart
02-22-2017, 8:00 PM
I really don't like to turn oak but I make an exception with oak Burl. It's difficult because it moves as it dries but the results are stunning.
I would cut it up into a bunch of blanks, seal them in wax and make very special things