PDA

View Full Version : OK I need help

Chuck Trisdale
06-28-2006, 12:26 AM
I am considering a large purchase for me. I am looking at bandsaws. I am even contemplating losing the TS and going with a large BS - well somewhat large. I have been looking around and have come up with one I kind of like - the Grizzly G0513. I want to know if I need to reconsider and move up or not. My budget really only lets me spend about 1000 total, so please help me spend some money.

Thanks Chuck

Larry Cooke
06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Chuck,

What are you going to use the saw for? I mean like making cabinets, cutting blanks for turning, or resawing?

Larry

Chuck Trisdale
06-28-2006, 12:36 AM
My problem is I have some large stock I want to make some legs out of... well. I go to cut it and Crud - my "little bitty" benchtop wont cut it. It is too thick.. height-wise. So, to answer your question... I would love to resaw on it. I just dont do much of it now based on my limitations on the BS. I have never considered it bc it just wasnt feasible to resaw on the old piece of junk (i am ashamed to even name the old BS ;) ).

Vaughn McMillan
06-28-2006, 3:11 AM
Chuck, I can't offer specific advice about the G0513, but you are correct in thinking that once you have a bandsaw with some real capabilities, you'll start finding all sorts of new things you can do, and start incorporating them into your projects.

When I first started looking for a bandsaw, I was sure I wouldn't need any bigger than 6" or 7" capacity. I let myself get talked into getting a 14" Shop Fox with the riser kit (max 12" capacity), and I've been glad to have the extra few inches available. I'd think the G0513 would be a very nice step up from your old saw. Curved legs would be easy, and you'd likely get into resawing, too.

I'd love to have a saw in the same class as the G0513, and I'll bet you'd be very happy with it, but for now the 14 incher will do for me nicely. In the future, I'd like a bigger saw, and will hopefully be looking in the 20" to 24" range.

Have fun with whatever you choose. :)

- Vaughn

Jon Farley
06-28-2006, 7:39 AM
I've had the G0513 for a couple years and really like it but since then Grizzly has also brought out the G0513X, which is the same saw, but upgraded with cast iron wheels, a bigger table and better fence. For the extra $$, the new "X" model would definitely be worth it in my book.

Fred Woodward
06-28-2006, 8:48 AM
I'm going through the same dilema with moving up in bandsaw size. I considered the Grizzly saws, Rikon 18", E16 at Mini-Max and the MM16. I haven't personally seen the Grizzly saw but the Rikon got very good reviews in comparison tests last year and that is a very nice looking saw. Woodcraft has it for $999 right now.
Both of the saws at Mini-Max were more money but they're beefier saws with a few features that the Griz or Rikon don't have.
I settled on the MM16 config with the 3.6 hp motor (they still had one in the warehouse :D ) and 14.5" resaw capacity. I can hardly wait!!

Chuck Trisdale
06-28-2006, 9:50 AM
Fred - you sound like me. I tend to settle on the most expensive option. But that thing does look awesome. I did go look at the Rikon - and it is a nice looking saw. I am going to have to look and see if I can find that review.

Jon - Thanks for the direction. I looked it up and if I go with the Grizzly, I am definitely going with the "X".

Vaughn - That is exactly what I expect will happen. I will get this thing in and next thing I will be doing is resawing. I have always been jealous of these guys' pics showing them slicing through logs, and WIDE boards in half. I cant wait. I just want to make the right choice...

I guess at this point in my price range I am down to the Rikon and the Grizzly "X". I just need to do a little more research