PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Help Needed........

Tony Falotico
06-27-2006, 9:59 PM
I re sawed two 9" wide 1/8" veneers from maple and want to attach them to a substrate to form a 15" shelf (book match style). I can't seem to get the edges straight to form a seamless joint. I've tried sanding with a block with no success, then tried trim cutting with a straight edge and razor. Still can't seem to get it right.

What techniques do you use to straighten the edge of veneer for edge gluing ??

Jamie Buxton
06-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Handplane. Put the veneer down on a piece of plywood or something to elevate it off the bench, and leave the edge you want to plane hanging just off the plywood. Put some more plywood or whatever on top to hold the veneer in place. Put the plane down on its side, and stroke it along the edge of the veneer. You can even do both veneers at the same time. Put them face to face like they were before you resawed them.

Or if you have a jointer (a power one, that is), it will do the job just fine.

Phil Winn
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I resawed some Ropey Mahogany to veneer some plywood shelves-to make the edges straight I used a router with a bushing...
Thanks,
Phil

Dave Fifield
06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
At 1/8" thick, you should be able to put them through a table saw using a fine toothed blade to make the edges straight. That's what I'd do.

Dave F.

Steve Schoene
06-27-2006, 11:26 PM
The hand plane used exactly as Jamie described is you best option in my opinion. I just can;t see getting an invisible glue line any other way.

Matt Meiser
06-28-2006, 7:41 AM
David Marks usually uses his jointer for veneer that thick.

tod evans
06-28-2006, 8:07 AM
tony, as thick as your leaves are i`d go right to the tablesaw..02 tod

Tony Falotico
06-28-2006, 9:14 PM
Thanks all, but I did mislead y'all......... the veneers are 1/16th inch (senior moment) have no idea why I put 1/8" .........

Anyway, I tried Jamie's handplane method, and it worked great, Edge glued the two veneers together and taped them, clamped a board across the joint so they don't curl, and I'll see what they look like tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply's, I'll let y'all know how they come out.........