PDA

View Full Version : Lifting heavy stuff

Alan Tolchinsky
06-27-2006, 8:09 PM
Hi All,

I'm just starting to put together a shop in Raleigh N.C. and the first thing I want is A/C. :) I guess I'm spoiled by my Md. basement shop. Anyway I have to lift this 100 lb. a/c unit about 6 feet. It's about 24" x 22". Does anybody have a safe way of lifting this baby up? I'm thinking chain hoist but would welcome any other ideas or suggestions doing this. My weight lifting days are long gone. :) Thanks in advance.

Brian Hale
06-27-2006, 8:16 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to meet the new neighbors ;)

Brian :)

Steve Clardy
06-27-2006, 8:36 PM
Rental stores have engine hoists

Jim Becker
06-27-2006, 8:36 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity to meet the new neighbors

Exactly what I was thinking...

Ken Werner
06-27-2006, 8:37 PM
could you borrow or rent a sheetrock jack?

That's how I hung my Delta air cleaner from a 10 foot ceiling.

Ken

Aaron D Miller
06-27-2006, 8:50 PM
Where are you in Raleigh? Im also in town and could easily be persuaded to help. Send me a PM and let me know when.

Del Williams
06-27-2006, 9:23 PM
Another volunteer for lifting - depending on when and where. I work in Raleigh but live in Chapel Hill.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2006, 9:32 PM
Sounds like another Creeker gathering to me! Lucky you!

Thomas Canfield
06-27-2006, 9:58 PM
When I installed my dust collector (Oneida 2 HP), I installed a beam for a block and tackle that was left in place to be able to service the unit when the time comes. As hard as it was to install now, it will be harder in later years as the age keeps increasing. Keep the maintenance in mind with any solution that you come up with.

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 9:58 PM
Where are you in Raleigh? Im also in town and could easily be persuaded to help. Send me a PM and let me know when.

Now how friendly is that....the guys first post on SMC is an offer to help.

Welcome to the creek Aaron!

Mike Cutler
06-27-2006, 10:55 PM

That's totally cool.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek Aaron. Please'd to meet ya'.

I was going to mention a transmission jack, but it looks like help is on the way.:cool:

Jim O'Dell
06-27-2006, 11:07 PM

My thoughts as well, Steve. And I'll add my welcome and good 'ole attaboy. Sounds like a good way to combine 2 ways to do it, meet Creekers, and neighbors. Jim.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks a million guys. I really appreciate the offers to help. I'm in North Raleigh if that makes a difference near rt. 1. I'll contact those who offered when I get home to Md. Boy the gasoline bills are driving me nuts with this trip. Thanks again. Alan in Md./N.C.

Allen Bookout
06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Aaron and Del,

What great guys!!!!! I think that this is just TERRIFIC!!!!!

North Carolina must be proud to have citizens such as you.

Allen

Peter Mc Mahon
06-28-2006, 7:08 AM
6 pack of RedBull?

tod evans
06-28-2006, 7:54 AM
welcome aaron!

Frank Fusco
06-28-2006, 9:53 AM
I used my daughter's boyfriend (now husband). Young, big, strong.

Dan Stuewe
06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I used my daughter's boyfriend (now husband). Young, big, strong.

and I'm sure it didn't hurt that you would make sure to be cleaning your rifle when he came a call'n - at least that is what my father-in-law did. You also had him right where you wanted him since he still needed/wanted to impress you. Hey, now that's an idea. When my girls get old enough to date (let's see 30 minus 7 and 4 is 23 to 26 years from now) I'll have to make some plans on buying heavy equipment and re-arranging it every so often! (better not let the girls see this, it may give them an idea to talk me into letting them out of the house sooner!)

Sam Chambers
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
My formula for this kind of thing looks like this:

Option 1: 2 Teenagers + $20 cash (Works best when one of them is interested in dating your daughter. :D )

Option 2: 2 adult neighbors + several beers (to be consumed after heavy lifting)

Good luck!

Perry Holbrook
06-29-2006, 6:40 AM
Aaron and Del,

What great guys!!!!! I think that this is just TERRIFIC!!!!!

North Carolina must be proud to have citizens such as you.

Allen

I'm proud to say that North Carolina is just full of helpful people, Aaron and Del appear to be fine examples.

Perry

George Summers
06-29-2006, 8:30 AM
Alan -

Will you be in town (Raleigh) on Tuesday, July 18? That is July's meeting night for Triangle Woodworkers Assoc. just down the road from your new place.

George

Frank Fusco
06-29-2006, 9:18 AM
and I'm sure it didn't hurt that you would make sure to be cleaning your rifle when he came a call'n - at least that is what my father-in-law did. You also had him right where you wanted him since he still needed/wanted to impress you. Hey, now that's an idea. When my girls get old enough to date (let's see 30 minus 7 and 4 is 23 to 26 years from now) I'll have to make some plans on buying heavy equipment and re-arranging it every so often! (better not let the girls see this, it may give them an idea to talk me into letting them out of the house sooner!)

That's funny because I actually was cleaning guns almost everytime she brought him here to visit. I guess, at one point he got kind of freaked. Incidentially, I digress, he just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq (Air Force). He came back with a boatload of awards and commendations and did such a fine job that he was promoted seven months BEFORE his date of eligibility for promotion. He made us, Arkansas and America proud.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-29-2006, 9:48 AM
Alan -

Will you be in town (Raleigh) on Tuesday, July 18? That is July's meeting night for Triangle Woodworkers Assoc. just down the road from your new place.

George

George, Thanks but I'm back in Md. again. I appreciate the offer though. Alan