PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Hitachi router

Bob Reda
06-27-2006, 5:42 PM
Amazon has the Hitachi 3 1/4 hp plunge for $159..Use JUNETOOL coupon and the free shipping;I got it for $127:D

Bob

Matt Guyrd
06-27-2006, 6:46 PM
I see this router frequently, it seems. Is it any good? I know it has a beefy 3 1/4 hp motor.

Anybody have this router (or not) that can provide some feedback on this tool? Pros and cons?

Thanks!
Matt

Mark Rios
06-27-2006, 6:57 PM
Matt, there are a number of threads on this router, one not tooo many days ago. Just do a search of Hitachi M12 and you'll probably get a bunch.

Many have it mounted in their router table. Many also seem to feel that it's best suited for the table because it feels a little too top heavy while using it by hand, according to the many posts.

Here's one thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38329&highlight=hitachi

Joe Unni
06-27-2006, 8:31 PM
Bob,

You beat me to it!! I just placed my order.

Very much looking forward to having a dedicated table router.

-joe

Rob Bodenschatz
06-27-2006, 8:41 PM
Ordered mine yesterday & it arrived today. Plan to dedicate it to a table (yet to be built).

Matt Guyrd
06-27-2006, 10:06 PM
You know, Mark...there is a good many times when I read someone's post where they are asking a question and I say to myself..."I wonder if this creeker searched the forums...I read about this frequently."

And here I go...posting a question without even considering searching the forum. What a knucklehead I am! :o Thanks for pointing out my short-coming. I'll give a good look on the forum.

Either way, I guess a 3 1/4 hp router for $127 is likely to be a good deal regardless of the manufacturer...assuming a relatively well-known name.

Thanks again!
Matt

Mark Rios
06-27-2006, 11:44 PM
You know, Mark...there is a good many times when I read someone's post where they are asking a question and I say to myself..."I wonder if this creeker searched the forums...I read about this frequently."

And here I go...posting a question without even considering searching the forum. What a knucklehead I am! :o Thanks for pointing out my short-coming. I'll give a good look on the forum.

Either way, I guess a 3 1/4 hp router for $127 is likely to be a good deal regardless of the manufacturer...assuming a relatively well-known name.

Thanks again!
Matt

Sorry Matt, I didn't intend to point out ANYONES shortcomings. There was just a whole butt load of good things said about the router in the other thread and I thought you could benefit by what was already discussed.

It sounds like, from your post, you and I are4 all okey dokey but just in case, I apologize if my post sounded uhhhh......scolding(?) or anything like that.

BTW, until June 30, you can get an EXTRA 20% off of this router (and other tools as well) in addition to the 10% off. This deal is listed on the same page as the router under the heading "Product Promotions". Price comes down to somewhere around $116!

Matt Guyrd
06-28-2006, 8:15 AM
Mark...no apologies necessary! I was just kicking myself for not searching first. And your original post was much appreciated, including the link. I did not consider it a scolding in anyway.

I'll be taking a closer look at the threads regarding the router. I could use a dedicated router for my, albiet cheap, router table. And with 30% off to boot!

Thanks for the follow-up and clarification, although it was not expected.

Matt

Matt Guyrd
06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Pulled the trigger. Purchased the router off Amazon. I was able to get the 20% (JUNETOOL) off, but the additional 10% (SAVTENPTJUNE) would not work. Contacted Amazon via phone and they took the additional 10% off. Final price was $116.

Also purchased the Bosch ROS 1295DVSK (mentioned in another post). Same thing...got the 20% off but needed to address the additional 10% while on the phone. Final price was $58.

To round out the purchase, I bought Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" ($25) and a pair of Peltor H10A earmuffs ($20).

Matt

glenn bradley
06-29-2006, 1:06 PM

I don't see how you could go wrong. A lot of Creekers love this router!

George Summers
06-29-2006, 4:33 PM
Could it be that they are on sale because of the new M12V2 introduction?

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=557&arrPath=1,12,61,p557,

the only thing I don't understand in their specs is:

Quote - Equipped with an improved collet chuck that secures the bit into the armature shaft for maximum hold - Unquote

Does that mean that they are like the Craftsman and other cheap routers where the collet is part of the motor shaft and when it wears out, you throw the whole router out instead of buying a new collet?

George