PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good lathe / turning "Primer"

Larry Fox
06-27-2006, 5:25 PM
I have asked a few questions about specific lathes here lately so I have come to terms with the fact that I am interested and very likely "in the market". I "lost out" on two Yates lathes which were local pickup and, while not happy at the time (especially about the second one), I am now viewing it as a positive. Removing the "urgency" of a specific deal allows me the time for research which puts me squarely back into my comfort zone.

So, an admission and a question.

The admission: I see things that the artists on this board turn and I know that these things are REALLY cool. These things look awfuly fun to make. I want to learn to make these things. I know they are made on a lathe by essentially poking spinning wood with long, sharp and expensive metal sticks but that is about it.

My question: Can anyone recommend a good primer which talks about the important parts of the lathe and discusses the function of each as well as the tools involved in turning (the aforementioned sharp metal sticks) etc?

This will be a suplement to my flat work which will likely remain king for some time to come so I am certainly not looking to go whole hog and sink a lot of $$ in right away.

I know I can look an Amazon and find tons but that is sorta pot-luck.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2006, 5:33 PM
I'm kind of partial to the Richard Raffan books. "Turning Wood" (ISBN 1-56258-417-7) pretty much touches on every aspect of the 'sport'.

Don Baer
06-27-2006, 5:37 PM
I agree with Lee. It's a great place to start.

Also find out if there are any turning clubs in your area and attend one of there meeting. Spiiney guys just love to so what it's all about.

Larry Fox
06-27-2006, 6:08 PM
Thanks Lee and Don. I ordered a used copy from Amazon - $11.00. I will give it a read. THIS one I have to sneak into the house - wife grumbles every time I mention turning. :-/

Mark Pruitt
06-27-2006, 6:11 PM
You can purchase three of Raffan's books - Turning Wood, Turning Boxes, & Turning Bowls - all in a set which lessens the combined cost. All are worth having. Also, Raffan has some DVDs which are definitely worth having. Nothing like watching him in action.

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2006, 6:18 PM
Larry,

I agree with Mark and Lee. His DVD's are good and so are his books. Good starting point.

Andy Hoyt
06-27-2006, 7:43 PM
Visit a local club meeting and talk to folks face to face.

Go here (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List) to find the chapter nearest Glenmoore