PDA

View Full Version : New blade for my cutoff saw

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-27-2006, 2:58 PM
OK this may not belong here, as this is not really wood working, but I know many of you don't "Only" do wood working.

I have to make up some shelves for inside the walk-in beer fridge at the L shop, they will each hold 8 or 9 cases of beer . The shelves will be made from square tubing and angle iron. In the past, I used a metal cut off saw with an abrasive blade on it, works, but it makes an awful mess, stink and a lot of hot metal to deal with. The metal always needs some griding after as well, as there is always a "Burr" on the edge of it.

Well I got this new blade for my saw, it is tungsten tipped, and at $120 it is not cheap, but it sure cuts steel like no ones business.

You can see the blade here

another view.

There is no heat and very few sparks and much less mess to deal with, as well as no smoke to bother me.

One thing is that for the square tubing, you have to cut it turned at a 45, so that one corner is up and one is down, not the flat of the tubing down, so I made this little jig....

just some 3/4" plywood cut at a 45 for support

Worked like a charm

here is the stack of my steel.

The new blade was quick and easy, and cuts nice smooth nearly burr free cuts, nice and square too!

I like it!

Oh, I will be using some thin plywood for the shelves for the beer to sit on, so I guess there is some wood involved!

Cheers!

tod evans
06-27-2006, 3:03 PM
stu, those blades are a big hit here too. milwaukee and makita are two companies i know of who are manufacturing skillsaws set up to cut metal using this technology. if your chopsaw was designed for abrasive blades put a piece of screen wire over the cooling fins to protect the motor..02 tod

06-27-2006, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the tip Tod!

Cheers!

Mark Rios
06-27-2006, 3:21 PM
Stu....I JUST GOTTA say..................in my book, you are the MASTER of the improvised jig.

My hat (if I wore one) is off to you sir!

;) ;) :cool: :cool:

Cecil Arnold
06-27-2006, 4:16 PM
Mark, I thought Carns made your hats.

Chuck Trisdale
06-27-2006, 4:17 PM
What else did you say?;)

Mark Rios
06-27-2006, 6:35 PM
Mark, I thought Carns made your hats.

Cecil, Sorry, I don't know what/who "Carns" are/is.

Stu, what is that in the background? It looks like it has a little screen on it, about 3x4? Is a digital readout of some sort?

Don Baer
06-27-2006, 6:40 PM
Stu, what is that in the background? It looks like it has a little screen on it, about 3x4? Is a digital readout of some sort?

Mark, I think you looking at the display on his DVR Lathe in the background.

Mark Rios
06-27-2006, 6:49 PM
Mark, I think you looking at the display on his DVR Lathe in the background.

Aaahhh, a lathe. I see it now. And there is something mounted on it? With a tool rest(?) in place? Thanks.

Does the "D" in DVR stand for digital? Is there actually some sort of readout on the lathe? What is it for? Should I start another thread for all these questions? :D

Thanks very much Don.

Larry Cooke
06-27-2006, 6:52 PM
What else did you say?

I was following him all the way until "walk-in beer fridge" the rest was a blur...

Seriously Stu, those are cool blades. I do enough metal fabbing that I may have to look into getting one of them. How long do they last? I'm thinking that as many as of carborundum blades I go though I just might be able to justify one.

Larry.

Perry Holbrook
06-27-2006, 7:27 PM
I spoke to the Lennox rep at a show about those blades. He said that some chop saws don't have enough torque to use them. Did you have an issue with that?

Perry

06-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Larry, this one cost about $120 here in Japan, the the abrasive blades I use cost about $8 a pop, so I'll have to get 15 abrasive blades worth of use of out it, which I think I will, but the important things for me are; No smoke, Much less mess, No heat, cleaner cut.

The heat thing is really cool (I know, bad pun) but you can pick up the metal right after you cut it and it is cool to the touch.

I cut all that steel and some other stuff too, and I can see no wear of any kind on the blade, looks just like it was new.

The saw cuts easier with this blade than the abrasive one, in fact, with the abrasive blade in place, I could easily bog this saw by trying to force feed it too fast, with the new blade, it just cuts.

Here is a little video of the saw slicing through some 1/2" thick plate steel I used for mounting my DVR lathe to my lathe stand.

Cutting 1/2" thick plate steel (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/half_inch_plate_cut.mpg) <-right click and save 512 KB file

Hot knife through butter covers it I think. :D

The blades they had at the store were of two type, one for the faster saws like mine (3800 rpm) and ones for the slower saws (1300 rpm) that these blades are made for.

It sure works fine.

Cheers!

Larry Cooke
06-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Hot knife through butter covers it I think. :DHoly smokes! (Or lack there of...) Wow, that was awesome. I couldn't cut through 1/2" like that with my abrasive blades. Well, it looks like I need to get me one of them blades for sure.

Thanks for the demo Stu!

Larry

Nissim Avrahami
06-28-2006, 5:08 AM
Hi stu

Very nice set-up
I don’t think it’s expensive, my Makita 260 mm dia for the table saw was 12,000 Yen, so this “nyupasu, sutenresu tetsu koo yoo” 305mm looks to me very reasonable price for Japan, and what’s the beautiful cut.

niki

06-28-2006, 5:42 AM
Hi stu

Very nice set-up
I don’t think it’s expensive, my Makita 260 mm dia for the table saw was 12,000 Yen, so this “nyupasu, sutenresu tetsu koo yoo” 305mm looks to me very reasonable price for Japan, and what’s the beautiful cut.

niki

Well, the regular list price is more than that, but Joyful Honda sells stuff at 65% of the MSRP. The MSRP would be around 18,500 yen ($175?).

It sure leaves a nice finish on the cut too.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
06-28-2006, 9:56 AM
Very good. I would have used a hacksaw, lotsa energy and lotsa beer.

06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Very good. I would have used a hacksaw, lotsa energy and lotsa beer.

The problem with that approach is that the cuts would not end up square:rolleyes:

Mark Rios
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
The problem with that approach is that the cuts would not end up square:rolleyes:

Because of the hacksaw or because of the beer?

:D :D :D

06-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Because of the hacksaw or because of the beer?

:D :D :D

Yep........... :o

Julio Navarro
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Can you post more info on that blade, Stu?

What is the name of this type of blade, material, manufacturer?

I dont think the BORGS have it yet, any idea where they can be bought from?

P.S. The cyclone should be ready to run this weekend, I finished the transition (evolution) from the 9" by 4" intake to 6" dia duct and will be constructing the drum today and tomorrow. The duct work should be finished by Sunday then just wiring that baby up.

tod evans
06-28-2006, 12:08 PM
julio, any "real" tool store has `em in stock so do most welding supply houses.02 tod

Julio Navarro
06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
julio, any "real" tool store has `em in stock so do most welding supply houses.02 tod

I wish we had real tool stores around here. My welding supplier is to darn far a way.

Its a rough life, I know.

I still dont know what those blades are called, at the risk of sounding to clueless.

tod evans
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM
julio, amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009H5NUG/qid=1151511278/sr=8-11/ref=sr_1_11/102-8637614-5732162?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

[edit] here`s milwaukees offering;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000WUQI4/qid=1151511478/sr=8-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8637614-5732162?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

Julio Navarro
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
thanks Tod

Frank Fusco
06-28-2006, 3:50 PM

With enough beer, who cares? :D