PDA

View Full Version : Festool Domino in action

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok Fellars, i know you are all hanging out for the arival of the Domino (and you like pics) and it appears thats still a while to go, so ill whet your appetite and show you how it dose the 3-way miter thats shown on my Blackheart Sassafra Cabinet i posted. It simple because the Domino is increadably accurate. What a pure joy to use. Im in love with mine, shes my new baby:o

This was based around the article in your excelent mag FWW No169 pg; 54. The reason i morticed from the top was because when the miters were cut the mortice if done on the side all but dissapeared as the Domi can only cut to a depth of 28mm, so i had to come in from the top

First pic shows the 6mm mortices cut in the top (I timed it, not rushing and it was 2min and 25 seconds to do 6 perfect morticeshttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ) and you have a choice of 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm mortices with the Domi.

2nd pic shows the miters cut and the three loose tenons in (to lazy to miter them for this demo:o )

3rd pic shows two sides dry fitted.

4th pic shows all three after glue up.

Its fairly straight foward if your mortices are accurate and your saw can cut accurate 45 deg.

All in all great fun:D

Bob Childress
06-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Great photos. I saw these on the Aussie forum and was impressed.

Wondered if you would "fess up" with a real name. You Down Under types seem to go in for some rather esoteric user names and fascinating avatars.:D (Lignum is a nice wood, though.:rolleyes: )

That Domino looks like a great tool. I wonder what they'll charge us for them over here?

Scott Thornton
06-27-2006, 12:03 PM
That's great, thanks for showing that.

Is there a tool currently available in the US that could help make a joint like that? Or another method? That cabinet that Jack made was awesome, I want to do one like that now!

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Bob, Lig.... i mean Jack here;) Well as we all know Festool is way over priced. Great stuff, but :eek: $$$$$:eek: Anyway the quality is just superb so in the long run its only money and you get a little masterpeice in return. A quick calculation and its Aus $1200 (that includes our tax) = US $909

It is expensive, but im over that now and its the best thing in my humble little workshop:)

Bob, what do you think of Doug_the_Slug`s aviator:D

Sonny Porter
06-27-2006, 1:39 PM
Okay, for $900, I want to know what the Domino will do that a Beadlock won't.

I'm serious. I own several Festools (saw, table, vac, router, sander) and enjoy them but the main rationale for paying all that money was safety - I saw too much info on the long term consequences of dust exposure. In this case, what I'm seeing is a refined, small, combination Beadlock+Mortiser in a nicely finished locating cage. Drilling isn't the big dust generator that, say, sanding is. What would make a $900 tool worth that?

Chris Padilla
06-27-2006, 1:41 PM
Wow, what an awesome joint! I think I could make up a jig or two to make that joint possible. Very nice....

Scott Thornton
06-27-2006, 1:48 PM
Yeah, I think I could make that joint too with a bunch of nails...

I wonder if that could be done with biscuits?

Chris:

Your crown molding quote describes my last crown molding project!

Chris Padilla
06-27-2006, 2:03 PM
Yeah, I think I could make that joint too with a bunch of nails...

I wonder if that could be done with biscuits?

Chris:

Your crown molding quote describes my last crown molding project!

C'mon, Scott, be honest! Just your last one? What about the ones before it? :eek: :p Frankly, ALL of mine are like that! :D

Scott Thornton
06-27-2006, 3:18 PM
Well, my last one was just like that, the one's before would have had more caulk...that last one, just used one tube!

Bob Marino
06-27-2006, 4:22 PM
Bob, Lig.... i mean Jack here;) Well as we all know Festool is way over priced. Great stuff, but :eek: $$$$$:eek: Anyway the quality is just superb so in the long run its only money and you get a little masterpeice in return. A quick calculation and its Aus $1200 (that includes our tax) = US $909

It is expensive, but im over that now and its the best thing in my humble little workshop:)

Bob, what do you think of Doug_the_Slug`s aviator:D

Nah, that won't be the USA price.

Bob

Rich Stevens
06-27-2006, 6:27 PM
Hi there,

The Festool Domino joiner has been selling in Australia since late 2005. Like the original poster of this thread noted, these puppies aren't cheap - A$1206 plus A$350 for a set of cutters and an assortment of 'domino' dowels/biscuits (mind you, all these bits and pieces come in their own Systainer). In Europe the Domino sells for about E$650.

I have tried one out that belonged to a buddy of mine to join together 4 mitres for a cabinet plinth. I used 5mm x 30mm Dominos for the joint - the smallest size. The resultant joint was so tight that it required strong clamps to pull together. There are a multitude of adjustments and settings on this machine to suit various applications. I was suitably impressed with its performance but not the price...

While the Domino could change the way woodworkers approach joint making - especially solid wood, I don't think it will completely blow Lamello out of the water. Both joining techniques have their pro's and con's.

I am about to vote with my feet - last week I sold my Lamello machine. The Domino is now on the 'must get' list. Most of my work is in solid wood rather than sheet goods and the Domino has got the edge over Lamello in this regard. I am presently using the JDS Multi Router for mortise and tenon joints - for certain applications, the Domino is going to slash the time it takes me to machine a bunch of M/T's.

Rich
Melb, Australia :D :D

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 7:57 PM
If anyone is interested do a google on ubeaut domino and it will take you to a thread on Australias equivalent to Saw Mill Creek and the Domino thread is facinating reading. What is clear, is those who have them think they are the ducks nuts and wouldnt part with them for the world, and those who are mildly scepticle are more concerned on the hefty price and then comes those who are loyal to the likes of the woodrat etc who just wont have a bar of it.

About 16 or so years ago Dewalt/Elu/Black n Deker reliesed their Lamello version and up until then the majority of woodies were still doweling. I purchased one and couldnt believe just how good it was and i never used my morticing attachment or dowling jig again. Now almost 100% of workshops both amature and professional have them.

Its Deja view all over again with the Domino. And in my opinion (and some others in the industry here who have it) is the Domino concept will almost spell the end on the biscuit joiner. After 1 week i sold my Dewalt as i knew i would never use it again. It seems so primitave now.

When you have used a Domi you will realise its that good. The repetative extreem accuracy is second to none. Their are three lateral adjustments and when its on the first the resulting join is perfect on all four sides.

A good test for it was to join two pre-veneered MDF boards edge to edge. After joining and clamping and a good wipe off with the glue excess, you can close your eyes and run your hand over it and only just feel where the join is. This is a wonder tool worth every cent. :D Its the new King of the Woodworking Jungle, its the best thing i have bought in all my woodworking years... love it just love it:D :D :D

Rich Stevens
06-27-2006, 9:59 PM
Hey Jack,

Hello from another fellow Aussie woodworker...

Did you shop around for your Domino and if so, did you get a good deal?

Thanks

Rich :D

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey Jack,

Hello from another fellow Aussie woodworker...

Did you shop around for your Domino and if so, did you get a good deal?

Thanks

Rich :D

Good as you can get:D Festool hate discounting and will disipline outlets or sales reps if it happens:( but a good dealer will make up the discount with other goodies in the shop. i got mine from Prestige Power Tools - crn Bath & Barkly st Mordialloc. Good blokes and good service. Or you could try Anthony at http://www.idealtools.com.au/

Dennis O'Leary
03-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Or thereabouts.

:p

Terry Fogarty
03-28-2007, 5:28 AM
Yep you lot will love your Domino when you get it :D

That 3-way miter above i made early last year and is a great project for the Domino.

It has been recently re-worked for the new Festool USA manual that will be included with your Domino, so you will be able to have a go at a similar join once you read the manual.

The difference with mine and the version in the manual is the new version has to have the 3 peices of timber "fitted at the same time." Good for a demo, but frustrating in practicle use.

I made a 3-way mitered cabinet last month and with 2 sides, a back and top i found it very hard to glue the carcase up efficiently:eek: Frustrating. Luckily i had a dry run first and decided to eliminate "one" Domino tenon on the edge that was to be least weight/stress bearing. That worked and it was mush more efficient (their was also floating panels to take into account)

So at the end of the day i prefer mine just because its more flexible in the frenzied world of mad rushed glue ups:D

Ted Miller
03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Terry, The Dominos will be shipping to on all or preorders here on the 31st of this month. I have three jobs waiting for this new tool to arrive. Price here in the US is $660.00 with crosstops $720.00 and then the tenons with cutters in sys $200.00. I will work mine out the first week it gets here...

Loren Hedahl
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Okay, for $900, I want to know what the Domino will do that a Beadlock won't.

I'm serious. I own several Festools (saw, table, vac, router, sander) and enjoy them but the main rationale for paying all that money was safety - I saw too much info on the long term consequences of dust exposure. In this case, what I'm seeing is a refined, small, combination Beadlock+Mortiser in a nicely finished locating cage. Drilling isn't the big dust generator that, say, sanding is. What would make a $900 tool worth that?

Having owned and used a Beadloc some and only having played around with a Domino a bit in a store, my impression is:

With the Domino you may be able to mortise four legs in the time you need to setup the Beadloc for the first one.

So the value of the Domino would be in the added production possible.

Another benefit might be in the greater smoothness of the cut made with the Domino vs the drill bit in the Beadloc. I don't know whether this would be to any great advantage, or not.

Another difference is the size of the loose tenon. Beadloc has only two sizes; neither of them as small as the smaller Dominos. So for things like picture frames, small projects, etc. the Domino would be more appropriate. For larger items, you could just pair up or triple up Dominos.

Whether this is worth a "cool grand" for the stuff I do is a good question. That said, I'm pretty sure if I bought it at the introductory price, I could unload it for close to what I paid a year later, if that were my decision. That is true for almost any top quality tool.

Loren