PDA

View Full Version : New Jet mini

Steve Hayes
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Just picked up the new Jet mini/Nova midi chuck special. Noticed that the spindle has about 1/8" of horizontal movement. I can push on the handwheel and see this. Is this normal?? Can someone check their's and see if they have it also.

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2006, 10:27 AM
No play at all on mine, in any direction. Which way are you pushing it, radially or axially?

If it's end-play, could be the handwheel and/or the collar on the spindle end need to be tightened. Is there a gap between the casting and the handwheel or collar?

Steve Hayes
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Let's say you grab the threads on the headstock and pull you can move it app. 1/8 inch.

Jim Underwood
06-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I had this problem and a non-concentric lower pulley on mine. I also had a "knocking" noise in conjunction with the endplay when the lathe speed spooled down.

You should not have any endplay in the spindle. You might be able to adjust it by loosening the set screw in the handwheel and moving it to take up the slack.

I returned mine to WoodCraft for another one. I no longer have any problems.

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Return it to Woodcraft they should make it good.

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2006, 8:33 PM
Congrats Steve. Doesn't sound right. I would take it back and exchange it, you will always wonder if it is right.

Corey

Gary DeWitt
06-27-2006, 9:09 PM
I'm absolutely sure it's not right, there should be no discernable play in the headstock at all. I'd take (or send) it back rather than try to fix it. This has to be the most critical area of a lathe.

Steve Hayes
06-28-2006, 9:11 AM
Spoke to Jet and they said to loosen the screws on the handwheel and make for sure it was tight. It was so I called Woodcraft and will be exchanging it Friday.

Frank Fusco
06-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I've seen similar posts with same problem on other forums recently. Maybe the QC on the legendary Jet mini is slipping. A lathe that wiggles, waggles and isn't true is scrap IMHO.

Steve Hayes
07-05-2006, 9:47 AM
Update!
Took the lathe back and we opened another and guess what, same issue. After opening the fourth one we gave up. Remember, this is the one with the free chuck so we opened a regular one and guess what, rock solid no movement at all like it was supposed to be. They are pulling all of the ones with the chuck and will check to see what the defect is and will call Jet. If you bought one with the chuck, check it. You may need to return it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I've seen similar posts with same problem on other forums recently. Maybe the QC on the legendary Jet mini is slipping. A lathe that wiggles, waggles and isn't true is scrap IMHO.

That or a boat anchor!

Steve, this sucks, I sure hope you get it all resolved soon.

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
For what it's worth...

Take a look at page 6 of this document:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_708351-VSR.pdf
(It's the installation instructions for the VS retrofit kit...it's the only place I could find where they describe how to remove the spindle to change out the drive belt.)

Looks like, short of a gross machining defect, there's only a couple of things that can go wrong, all easily fixable.

Steve Hayes
07-10-2006, 9:40 AM
Update, did my weekly run by Woodcraft and the verdict on the lathes, so far 15 was the spindles were machined 3/64 to long. Jet at first was not to concerned but the guys at Woodcraft were so it was escalated and hopefully now something will be done. They are really concerned cause they have over 20 of them on the floor for sale. Thanks to the guys at Woodcraft!

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Congrats Steve and glad you got it resolved.