PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Hickory bowl

Dominic Greco
09-15-2003, 1:12 PM
<P>Yeah, it's me again. ;)
<P>Here are some shots of a Walnut and Hickory bowl I turned over the past couple of weeks.

<P>The bowl measures 10 3/4" OD x 4" high. The base measures 3 1/2" in diameter, while the walls are about 3/8" thick.

<P>This bowl started life out as a solid roughed out bowl which was air dried for about a year. It measured about 9" od x about 1 1/2" high.

<P>I turned it true about a month ago and let it acclimate to the shop. After a weeks time I trued it up again, and let it sit for a couple of days more. Upon inspection, I found it hadn't moved. I judged it ready.

<P>I had planned on adding alternating Maple and Walnut rings to it. But I decided that Hickory would make as nice a contrast as Maple. I also decided to add 1/8" thick spacers of contrasting wood to each ring. The first ring was Hickory with a Walnut spacer. The next was Walnut with Hickory spacers. You get the picture from there.

<P>On a tip from Wally Dickerman, I kept the topmost ring Walnut, with no contrasting spacers. I think this really helps to "frame out the piece".

<P>For some reason, when I dry sand Walnut, I don't get as nice a finish as when I wet sand. So this bowl was wet sanded with mineral oil to 1500 grit. I made sure to wipe off the excess mineral oil with mineral spirits before allowing this bowl to dry for a week.

<P>After that time, I applied a coat or two of Woodcraft's Urethane Oil and allowed this to cure for a couple of days. After which the bowl was then buffed with the Beall System.

<P>Thanks for viewing
<p><font color="#000099"><b><i>See ya around,</font></b></i>
<p><b><font color="#000066"><font size=+1>Dominic</font></font></b>

Lee Schierer
09-15-2003, 1:37 PM
Looks good from the cheap seats....... Nice looking bowl. I like the contrasting woods. Is this a home bowl or is it sold?

chris toomey
09-15-2003, 2:07 PM
simply awesome!

Jim Becker
09-15-2003, 2:32 PM
That's really attractive, Dominic! Good contrast and a pleasing pattern.

Brad Schafer
09-15-2003, 7:21 PM
Dom, that is one outstanding piece of turning.

Danged lathe guys,

b (no lathe - YET)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-15-2003, 7:25 PM
Outstanding, as always Dominic. Now THAT'S where I wanna be someday! :D Absolutely beautiful bowl, all the way around. Thanks for sharing the Photo Dominic, I always enjoy viewing your fine work.

Jim Baker
09-15-2003, 8:09 PM
That's an incredible bowl with a really pleasing pattern, Dominic

Dominic Greco
09-15-2003, 9:01 PM
Is this a home bowl or is it sold?

<P>Mostly everything I turn from here till Xmas will be up for sale. I have a couple of people here at work who have requested large salad bowls. But for some perverse reason, they always favor the opposite color woods I have made my most recent bowl from. And always the wood I'm extra low on. :D

<P>If it's a dark bowl
<P>"Oh thats nice! Do you have any in Spalted Beech?"

<P>If it's a light colored bowl
<P>"Oh thats very nice! Do you have any in Cherry?"

<P>ARRGH! :mad:

<P>See ya around,
<P>Dominic

Dominic Greco
09-15-2003, 9:02 PM
Thanks for all the compliments everyone! They are much appreciated.

John Miliunas
09-15-2003, 9:11 PM
Excellent work, as usual, Dom! I gots to learn me how to do them one 'o these years! Oh, and I think Wally was right on about the uppermost ring. It really does put all the real beautiful work in a frame of its own! Nice job! :cool: