PDA

View Full Version : white House

Rich Stewart
06-27-2006, 9:20 AM
Anybody got any pull at the White House? I sure would like a piece of that 130 year old elm tree that fell over in the recent deluge. What's their email address?

Tom Hamilton
06-27-2006, 9:22 AM
gbush@whitehouse.gov?;)

Rich Stewart
06-27-2006, 9:35 AM
Thanks. Going to write right now.

skip coyne
06-27-2006, 9:56 AM
try calling your congressmans office , they may be able to help you . they love doing easy stuff for voters (BTW tell them their doing a great job..evan if you have to lie a little :rolleyes: )

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I suppose a couple dozen guys with chainsaws just showing up at the gate is a Bad Idea? :eek: :D

Rich Stewart
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Lie a little? Haha

Mike Vickery
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
One of the guys on another forum called the national forest service and they said it was going in the chipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raymond Overman
06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Headline: "Coalition of Lobbyists for Reclamation of Historic Trees Assist Cleanup"

Washington, D.C. - After a short email campaign to Congressmen, Senators, and the President, a grassroots coalition of wood turning enthusiasts showed up on the White House lawn to assist in the cleanup efforts after recent storms. Chainsaws at ready and pickup trucks backed up for the haul, smiling faces lent a hand removing the debris. A spokesman for the group said, "We feel that it is our civic duty to insure the proper use and disposal of national historic trees surrounding the White House and are proud to serve our country while participating in this effort."

Local officials noted that it was the "darndest thing they have ever seen, almost like ants at a picnic." The cleanup was completed within a few hours.

One incident marred the otherwise great event when an overzealous attendee applied his chainsaw to a column on the front porch of the White House. Secret service agents quickly removed the person to an undisclosed location. No names have been released at this time and White House officials have refused to comment.

Rich Stewart was noted as saying, "I can't wait to get to my computer. What a gloat this will be on SMC."

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I suppose a couple dozen guys with chainsaws just showing up at the gate is a Bad Idea? :eek: :D

ROFLMAO!!!!

Only if you don't want any worries for the rest of your life and three square meals a day.

Karl

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
ROTFLOL:D :D Raymond that is a hoot. I am cleaning my screen from coffee spew.

Dick Strauss
06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Rich,
One of my neighbors had a large 50' red elm come down in our last batch of storms. I tried to contact the owners several times but couldn't reach them. I tried again last night only to find that the tree removal service had been there. Needless to say I was disappointed! It was so close I could taste it....

PS-I'll still try to see if I they will let me have a piece of the 24" diameter stump...

Tony Falotico
06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Headline: "Coalition of Lobbyists for Reclamation of Historic Trees Assist Cleanup"

Sorry Raymond, it's not that easy........ lets see, first it will have to be declared surplus property. In order to do that a study will have to be commissioned, done by an independent agency to determine any possibility of "current or future need" for the tree. If the study shows no current or future need, it must be advertised for 60 days to determine if any state or local government needs it. If so, ownership is immediately turned over to the local authority.

If no local need is found, three independent appraisals need to be done. The highest and lowest are thrown out, then the average of the remaining one is used. This must then be compared to fair market value to make sure it is within allowable tolerance. If the appraisal is approved then the tree is declared surplus. This can only happen after three readings at three public hearings that must be advertised four times 30 days in advance. If no public objections are filed after 90 days, then the tree can be declared surplus.

Once it is declared surplus, it must advertised for bid. Advertisements must be for 60 days, followed by a pre bid meeting where terms and conditions of the sale are explained to prospective bidders. Bids are received and opened and left for 15 days public inspection to assure validity. If no protests are filed, after approval by both houses of congress a contract for sale is drawn up for the highest bidder, reviewed by both parties, and if acceptable is executed. If a contract for sale is not successfully entered within 180 days, it goes back to being re-bid.

THEN, the successful purchaser must submit an environmental impact statement and apply for removal permits.............

Rich Stewart
06-27-2006, 2:14 PM
I just figured they would rent a chipper for 450,000 dollars per hour from their usual sources and then get 50 of the highest paid public servants they could find, call them out in the middle of the night on triple overtime. Didn't know they had to do all that other stuff first.

Gary Max
06-27-2006, 4:59 PM
Raymond---all I can do is say---Thank-you
That was funny

Richard Jones
06-27-2006, 5:25 PM
CLASSIC..............

Excellent, what a hoot!!

Rich in VA

Washington, D.C. - After a short email campaign to Congressmen, Senators, and the President, a grassroots coalition of wood turning enthusiasts showed up on the White House lawn to assist in the cleanup efforts after recent storms. Chainsaws at ready and pickup trucks backed up for the haul, smiling faces lent a hand removing the debris. A spokesman for the group said, "We feel that it is our civic duty to insure the proper use and disposal of national historic trees surrounding the White House and are proud to serve our country while participating in this effort."

Local officials noted that it was the "darndest thing they have ever seen, almost like ants at a picnic." The cleanup was completed within a few hours.

One incident marred the otherwise great event when an overzealous attendee applied his chainsaw to a column on the front porch of the White House. Secret service agents quickly removed the person to an undisclosed location. No names have been released at this time and White House officials have refused to comment.

Rich Stewart was noted as saying, "I can't wait to get to my computer. What a gloat this will be on SMC."

skip coyne
06-27-2006, 5:41 PM
Sorry Raymond, it's not that easy........ lets see, first it will have to be declared surplus property. In order to do that a study will have to be commissioned, done by an independent agency to determine any possibility of "current or future need" for the tree. If the study shows no current or future need, it must be advertised for 60 days to determine if any state or local government needs it. If so, ownership is immediately turned over to the local authority.

If no local need is found, three independent appraisals need to be done. The highest and lowest are thrown out, then the average of the remaining one is used. This must then be compared to fair market value to make sure it is within allowable tolerance. If the appraisal is approved then the tree is declared surplus. This can only happen after three readings at three public hearings that must be advertised four times 30 days in advance. If no public objections are filed after 90 days, then the tree can be declared surplus.

Once it is declared surplus, it must advertised for bid. Advertisements must be for 60 days, followed by a pre bid meeting where terms and conditions of the sale are explained to prospective bidders. Bids are received and opened and left for 15 days public inspection to assure validity. If no protests are filed, after approval by both houses of congress a contract for sale is drawn up for the highest bidder, reviewed by both parties, and if acceptable is executed. If a contract for sale is not successfully entered within 180 days, it goes back to being re-bid.

THEN, the successful purchaser must submit an environmental impact statement and apply for removal permits.............

by wich time it will have rotted away ....:rolleyes:

Raymond Overman
06-27-2006, 8:01 PM
Yes Tony, you're correct. The red tape would not be worth it. That's why it's mulch now. All I can say is the saying "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" applies here when there are so many wood turners out there starving for wood. Something really should be done.

Loy Hawes
06-28-2006, 6:48 AM
Some perps have already been spotted on site!

:D :D :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-28-2006, 1:35 PM
ROFLMAO! That's great!

Raymond Overman
06-28-2006, 2:02 PM
On another forum (WC) there is an discussion about the tree. The Capital Area Woodturners have had some success in getting wood from Mount Vernon but have not been able to obtain any from The White House.

It sounds like they had to meet a lot of stipulations before they could turn the wood and couldn't benefit from the experience at all. After reading the story, I couldn't tell if they could actually sign their names to the pieces they turned or not.