PDA

View Full Version : Sassafras cabinet from Australia

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 7:39 AM
Howdy everyone:) Thought id pop in and show you a pic of a Low-line Plasma unit i made from Blackheart Sassafras. Its a pretty wild timber so care has to be taken keeping it simple.

Its 1500 X 550 (H) X 520 (D)
The main frame is Solid Goldern Sassafrass and is three-way counter top joined. That was fun i can tell youhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif but it worked out ok in the end. The dividing between the doors and drawers are also mitered in as is the bottom rail wich compliments the 3-way join.

As Blackheart is so hard to find solid, i veneered up the side, top, door and draw fronts. To add the nice hand made final touch, instead of getting your standard crapy hardware, i made the handles from some Brazilian Walnut and good `ol Aussie Blackwood.

The unit has had five coats of mini wax wipe-on poly rubbed back with 400# inbetween. Wipe-on poly looks great with light creamy timbers.

And Masonite works a treat as a backdrop for the pichttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Oh you have a great forum here. Great info:D :D
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Tyler Howell
06-27-2006, 8:08 AM
Lig,
That is Awesome.
Well done.
PS welcome to the creek.

Mark Singer
06-27-2006, 8:14 AM
Excellent work and very nice design! Glad you joined us!

Bob Childress
06-27-2006, 8:19 AM
Awesome wood and loverly work. :D

Welcome to SMC and come back often. Woodworking is about as international a love as there can be.

Again, splendid workmanship. :)

Bob Reda
06-27-2006, 8:28 AM
Nice work!

And welcome to the creek

Bob

Nissim Avrahami
06-27-2006, 9:40 AM
G’day mate

Welcome to the forum.
As always, grate work and beautiful design

Cheers
niki

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Lig..............Beautiful work and .........Welcome to the Creek!

Scott Thornton
06-27-2006, 9:45 AM
That is an amazing piece of furniture! Excellent.

Welcome to the Creek!

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 9:59 AM
G’day mate

Welcome to the forum.
As always, grate work and beautiful design

Cheers
niki

Howdy Niki:D Fancy meeting you here, havnt seen you for a while:D .
And thanx for the warm welcom from the rest of you:D This is a ripper forum. But its going to take me weeks and weeks to go through all the old posts:eek: But it will be fun

Jerry Strojny
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Wow, that's some cool wood. Great job on the joints too. I need to practice more.

Welcome to the Creek!!:)

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Woodworking is about as international a love as there can be.

Your right Bob :D And the world would be a better place if everyone was a woodworker:)

Chuck Trisdale
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Your right Bob :D And the world would be a better place if everyone was a woodworker:)

Then we wouldnt have enough wood for ourselves:D

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
lig, welcome to the "Creek". I can see you've done a wee bit of reading and looking before your first post, so you knew we like pictures.

Beautiful piece of furniture. Keep them coming. :D

Karl

tod evans
06-27-2006, 11:33 AM
nice work lig!

lou sansone
06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
welcome to the creek. nice work.

lou

Brett Baldwin
06-27-2006, 2:59 PM
Very nice looking piece Jack. The hand-made handles are a great touch. Looking forward to your next one.

Mike Chrest
06-27-2006, 4:08 PM
Low-line Plasma unit? Translation please.;) Liquor cabinet?
Mike
I want a Dommino! Beautiful wood and workmanship!

Terry Fogarty
06-27-2006, 7:35 PM
Low-line Plasma unit? Translation please.;) Liquor cabinet?
Mike
I want a Dommino! Beautiful wood and workmanship!

Howdy Mike:) Here in Australia its called that because its low to the ground and a Plasma TV unit sits on it. Basic but true:D Very popular they are

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Welcome to SMC and that is a quite a work of art! Nice job.

Corey

Tony Ward
06-28-2006, 2:44 AM
Well done Jack,

What you refer to as Australian Sassafras looks like our southern or Tasmanian Sassafras, (Latin: Atherosperma moschatum) which is only grown in the high rainfall areas of Tasmania.

It is one of my favourite timbers to work with because of it's fine finish.

Terry Fogarty
06-28-2006, 2:57 AM
Well done Jack,

What you refer to as Australian Sassafras looks like our southern or Tasmanian Sassafras, (Latin: Atherosperma moschatum) which is only grown in the high rainfall areas of Tasmania.

It is one of my favourite timbers to work with because of it's fine finish.

Tony:D Its me Lignum:D Not alowed to use my Nic:( Howdy:D

Ron Blaise
06-28-2006, 5:15 AM
Howdy everyone:) Thought id pop in and show you a pic of a Low-line Plasma unit i made from Blackheart Sassafras. Its a pretty wild timber so care has to be taken keeping it simple.

Its 1500 X 550 (H) X 520 (D)
The main frame is Solid Goldern Sassafrass and is three-way counter top joined. That was fun i can tell youhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif but it worked out ok in the end. The dividing between the doors and drawers are also mitered in as is the bottom rail wich compliments the 3-way join.

As Blackheart is so hard to find solid, i veneered up the side, top, door and draw fronts. To add the nice hand made final touch, instead of getting your standard crapy hardware, i made the handles from some Brazilian Walnut and good `ol Aussie Blackwood.

The unit has had five coats of mini wax wipe-on poly rubbed back with 400inen. Wipe-on poly looks great with light creamy timbers.

And Masonite works a treat as a backdrop for the pichttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Oh you have a great forum here. Great info:D :D
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
I didn't know you had Sassafras down under too. It's relatively common here in the south but doesn't grow very large, although I have seen some very large specimens. We make Sassafras tea from the sweet roots. I wonder if the trees are related? Great work & welcome to the forum :D
Ron

Larry Crim
06-29-2006, 4:00 PM
That is sweet jack I really like the contrast in color, very well done.
Larry