PDA

View Full Version : Turning newbie - IA/WI/MN Ash/Hard Maple/Hickory supply

Hank Stankovich
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
New to turning, but have been refinishing woodworking for years. I absolutely love working with wood and want to start "making" things instead of "restoring" pieces. My dad is into Antiques and that is what got me started initially.

Really into turning baseball bats and have connections in the local/college/professional baseball worlds. I want to start bat making as a hobby first (and for my own personal use), with potential to turn it into a small side business with some of my connections years down the road.

My main problem is finding wood at a reasonable price locally.

I have been looking for 12/4 width 3" and 36' length northern ash, maple and even hickory. Is this correct stock size (2.25 bf?) for bat making? I am sort of unsure of size due to my lack of experience. Internet lumber seems expensive for what I want when shipping is considered and Idon't trust what I can't see myself as far as quality is concerned (I think that is smart?).

What is price range for a board foot of northern ash, hard maple or hickory? I am clueless here as well. Some sites have "baseball-sized" stock, but seem expensive at $25 before shipping iscalculated.

I am located in eastern Iowa and would drive a fair amount to pick up a couple pallets of quality said wood.

Any ideas? Would local lumber supplier be able to meet my needs? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

John Olson
06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I came from Warren, Pa. They used to cut the blanks for the Lueville slugger from the forest around my town. One of my friends fom high school spent the summer cutting and loading trains with the wood. I haven't been back into the woods of Warren in over twenty years. Live on Long Island N.Y. now.