PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Design Software

Todd Burch
09-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Anyone using any 3D Cabinet/Furniture Design software that employs nice rendering? (That also is navigable, intuitive, updated on a regular basis, allows trials, has good support, is well documented, is not buggy, is flexible, yada, yada, yada).

Thanks, Todd.

Bert Johansen
09-18-2003, 4:48 PM
Anyone using any 3D Cabinet/Furniture Design software that employs nice rendering? (That also is navigable, intuitive, updated on a regular basis, allows trials, has good support, is well documented, is not buggy, is flexible, yada, yada, yada).

Thanks, Todd.

Hmmm . . . I once knew a guy who used the perfect software for 3D rendering. It was a No. 2 pencil, if I recall. :D

Couldn't resist--sorry!

Bert

PS. This question comes up often, and while there are many options, the good ones tend to be pricy. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.

Paul Kunkel
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM

Thanks, Todd.
Well, you're asking alot, Todd. Try a free trial of Decotech home. From pulsarsoft.com I have an old version that I use with Virtual PC/Win95 on my Mac and it'll do floorplans, 3D renderings, cutlists, & pricing. Don't know what the current pricing is, but they do have a trial. Good luck!
:D

Chris Padilla
12-11-2003, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Todd.

I just picked up Archtectural Series 18 from Punch! Software (http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm) and so far, I do like it but it has its shortcomings.

I am designing an EC around a newly refaced fireplace and my wife and I were having a hard time visualizing the rather massive (wall to wall, floor to ceiling) EC we had in mind.

This s/w is more for home designing but it has features for helping to design kitchen cabinets and such and one thing for sure, it has VERY NICE 3-D rendering and the ability to walk or fly around your house is very cool.

If you are good, in general, with computers, I think you could manage to learn to like this product. I have found the manual way too basic...it needs more tips. However, the online support from the community is very good and helps a lot.

Overall, this product isn't exactly what you are looking for but take a few moments to read about it at the website and see what you think. Shoot any further question you have at me...I've been toying with it for about 2 months now.

Chris

George Skinner
12-11-2003, 8:22 PM
For those of you that are a business try ECabinets (http://www.ecabinetsystems.com) it is a very good cabinet design program that will allow you to make custom cabinets in your designs. It also does cut sheets etc. They are coming out with version 3 which is supposed to give some ability to do furniture design. You can also buy many materials through their system. The best part is it is free, purchasing hardware and other items through their system is how the program is paid for but you are not required to purchase anything from them. I have used it a little but have been waiting for version 3. The best part about this program is they listen to what you want it to do and are always updating it.

George

Mark Singer
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
I use TurboCad for my furniture designs. It is not a rendering program. It does have 3 D. It is simple inexpensive ($150) . I love it and it is easy to learn. I can design to full scale and plot to my large HP plotter and I have a full size paste on template. It is great for laying out plywood sheets to minimize waste. It is great for viewing proportions to scale and modifing.

Charles McKinley
12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Todd,

I would ask over at wood web on the CAD forum or the cabinet forum. Scan some of the post to see where it would be most appropriate.

Joe Suelter
12-16-2003, 12:49 PM
George, thanks for posting this link...a friend told me about this site, but couldn't remember the name. Sounds like a nice program...I'm going to give it a shot! Thanks again.