PDA

View Full Version : Help! SawStop delivery question

JIm McMullen
06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, I did it. bought a Sawstop after much deliberation (tough decision between it and General 650--safety and customer service won the day for sawstop). Here is my dilemma: The delivery will be to my shop which will be accomplished by driving across my lawn with a F-150 towing a trailer with the saw (600#) on it. There a a cpl fairly tight turns to make and then down s gentle slope to the shop doors. The delivery people think they can do this without tearing up my lawn...what do you think??? Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I need your advice and experience. Thanks! Jim

David Giles
06-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Let's see. Spokane, WA. Does it rain much there? I see ruts in your future.;)
Congratulations on the new saw!

JIm McMullen
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm not watering either, but hoping for slight depressions, not ruts!?

Ken Werner
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I pull my utility trailer across my lawn alot. Moving manure, sand, mulch, hauling brush - you get the picture.

I don't drive on the grass when it's wet. And I always use 4WD. [I actually use my SUV for utility]. Rarely damage the grass, though it does get temporarily flattened. Pick the right day, and hopefully the F150 has 4WD.

Good luck with the Saw stop. Gotta tell us all about it when you get it.

Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Jim.......you'll probably be all right though nothing is absolute. I drive on my lawn occasionally without any problems with my F350. The trailer with saw on it will weigh a whole lot less than the pickup.

Roy Wall
06-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Jim,

Congrats on the new saw.....

Well, ruts are possible, but not the end of the world ... If it is dry as you say you'll be okay........

How about this idea _

Can they pull on your driveway, or out front in the street - then get the saw off the trailer and put it on a heavy duty "two wheeler" or hand truck? I know they make them.....you could probably rent one....and it should work well with a couple of hands...

Here's the pallet... about 3x3.....

Enjoy your new saw!!

JIm McMullen
06-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Actually, guess it doesn't matter, because I'm bringing that baby in regardless! FYI: bought locally from Woodcraft (they have sold 3 in 1.5 wks). The floor model had .002" flat table and extensions and no measurable runout at arbor or flange. Good looking machine--runs well, cuts well (all except fingers and hot dogs:) . Cheers! and thanks again. I'll let you know. Jim

Joe Jensen
06-27-2006, 12:35 AM
The saw is incredibly well packed. Mine had a damaged fence face and SawStop sent a replacement via fedex. great people...joe

David Giles
06-27-2006, 9:34 AM
You're right. Any depressions could easily be stomped back. I assume that you have a way of moving that beast around the shop floor, but if not, I've found that a piece of waxed hardboard slides easily across concrete.

Rick Gibson
06-27-2006, 9:43 AM
Had a guy back a bucket truck over my lawn last fall to take down a tree, never know he'd been there now. If you are really worried you could always have it delivered to my place, I'd take real good care of it for you.:) Congrats on the new saw.

Steve Hayes
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
If you can come up with some old plywood lay it on the ground and let the truck drive on it. Done it before and it really helped.

JIm McMullen
06-27-2006, 4:58 PM
Appreciate all your help. Due to arrive tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Jim

Per Swenson
06-27-2006, 6:29 PM
Jim,

Relax, Everything is gonna work out no problem.

I sweated, tossed and turned, and forgot to feed the cat for

a week until the day it was delivered. Never mind that I, err we, have brought

much heavier and awkward stuff to the bottom of the house.

Granted it is alway's a Moe, Larry and Curly moment but....

Per

Ben Grunow
06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
You will be very upset when your wife makes you stop Sawstopping and fix the grass before her parents come over for the 4th of July. How about this: make or rent 2 or 3 heavy dollies (3' square with HD casters) and screw them all together with some 3/4 ply on top. Put the saw on the dolly and roll it across some more plywood on the lawn. You could buy 2 sheets of 1/2 ply and leap frog them along. THis approach will require 4 able men to move the saw from trailer to dolly and control it on the hills but might be better. 3 of us moved my Sawstop about 40' and we could have carried it that far if there were 4. Just MHO. Good luck and congrats on the saw- you will love it.