PDA

View Full Version : Project complete: Grandfather clock

David Duke
06-26-2006, 7:02 PM
It's been complete for a couple of weeks just had to wait until it was delivered. I built this as a retirement gift for a very dear friend of mine, Leon Cubillias. I have know this man for over 20 years and he has given so much to our community especially the children it is truly a honor to be considered his friend. Leon came to our school district 29 years ago as a substitute teacher, he became a full time teacher, asst. principal, principal, curriculum coordinator, asst. superintendent and finally 13 years ago our superintendent during which time he has touch many people in a very positive way. I could go on and on about the many positive things he has contributed to our community but won't since this a WWing site, not a place to brag on someone that no one else here knows.

So on to the clock, built out of cherry the overall demensions are 78"h x 25"w x 14.5"d, built complete from rough material I made all the molding and columns, the only manufactured products were glass, plywood back, hardware and clock works. The finish was BLO, 3 days in the sun to give it a tan, 3 coats of sprayed on garnet shellac, 8-10 coats of Target Coatings USL gloss Lacquer, then buffed with 0000 steel wool and paste wax.

Thanks for looking

Rich Stevens
06-26-2006, 7:09 PM
David,

I take my hat off to anyone that can gather the energy, time and talent to produce something like a Grandfather clock. Yours looks very good and I cannot even begin to think how much work has gone into it. Your friend must be so proud of this gift.

I too have plans to build one someday - however I don't think my talent is up there yet to tackle something this complex. One day...

Rich

Ken Garlock
06-26-2006, 7:21 PM
That is truly a beautiful clock. I know you friend will like it very much.

Vaughn McMillan
06-26-2006, 7:43 PM
Very nice job, David, and I think it's great that a bunch of you went in together to make this gift a reality for your friend.

- Vaughn

John Shuk
06-26-2006, 8:18 PM
Gorgeous..Stunning....and the clock is nice too. Very nice work. Looks great in it's place as well.

David Duke
06-26-2006, 8:50 PM
Very nice job, David, and I think it's great that a bunch of you went in together to make this gift a reality for your friend.

- Vaughn

Glad you mentioned it Vaughn, I had mentioned in the "Weekend Accomplishments" thread but forgot to say anything here; my fellow trustees helped out in buying the clockworks, hardware and glass. As far as the cherry most of you wouldn't remember but I had a real big wood gloat back I believe in January, got over 200bf for 250.00, so my contribution other than labor was the lumber.

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone.

John Timberlake
06-26-2006, 8:58 PM
Great job on both counts. Nice job on the clock and wonderful to know that some people still appreciate an educator like this. Keep up the good work.

Jim Becker
06-26-2006, 8:59 PM
Wow...that's spectacular, David!!

Richard Wolf
06-26-2006, 9:04 PM
Very nice job.

Richard

Roy Wall
06-26-2006, 9:10 PM
David,

That is a beautiful piece!!!!!! A great present for a wonderful friend......makes this gift all the better....you did a great job!

Tyler Howell
06-26-2006, 9:22 PM
Well done David:cool:

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 9:33 PM
That is a beautiful clock David. Bravo to you!

Corey

Mike Canaris
06-26-2006, 9:34 PM
Wow! That is awesome...any construction pics?

Ron Jones near Indy
06-26-2006, 9:39 PM
That is very, very nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 9:39 PM
Very, very nice David! And congrats to you and your dear friend!.........Family and friendship.........little else matters!

David Duke
06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Wow! That is awesome...any construction pics?

I have a few...........I'll post tomorrow all the files are in the office.

Cecil Arnold
06-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Really awesome looking work David

Larry Cooke
06-27-2006, 12:40 AM
David,

Really great thing you and your freinds are doing there. Clock is very nice indeed! I'm sure he'll enjoy it very much.

Larry

Jim Bills
06-27-2006, 9:37 AM
David, Outstanding work, as usual.

Jim

Wes Bischel
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
David,
Beautiful clock - and a very generous gift.

Wes

Larry Crim
06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
just awesome! I plan to do one in the future hope mine is that nice.
Larry

tod evans
06-27-2006, 11:24 AM
nice work david!

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
WOW!!!!

Karl

Eddie Watkins
06-27-2006, 1:03 PM
David,
excellent clock, excellent gesture!!

Eddie

lou sansone
06-27-2006, 2:52 PM
nice looking clock. those arched doors were fun to build I am sure. what type of hinge did you use ?

best wishes
Lou

Brett Baldwin
06-27-2006, 2:53 PM
Beats the heck out of a silly wrist watch. An excellent gift that looks great.

David Duke
06-27-2006, 3:15 PM
nice looking clock. those arched doors were fun to build I am sure. what type of hinge did you use ?

best wishes
Lou

Just a standard 3/8" offset, no-mortise hinge with a finial tip in polished brass, in making the arched door and bonnet I made templates and used a pattern bit.....wasn't bad after I got the templates cut and if I were to make a second clock I probably could knock off 6-8 hours by using the ready made patterns.

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 3:27 PM
Magnificent and for a good man!! You're one also to do it!! Nice job!!!

David Duke
06-27-2006, 3:40 PM
Beats the heck out of a silly wrist watch. An excellent gift that looks great.

Actually the idea for a clock began with a watch; 2-3 years ago I was thinking about Leon knowing it wouldn't be too many years before he would retire and began thinking of various things that are traditionally given. Of course a watch popped into my simple mind and being a woodworker :D :D that thought evolved into a clock :D , the seed was planted then. When he decided to retire earlier this year my thoughts from years past came back and that is when I contacted his wife and my fellow trustees and began putting the plan into action.