PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Mirror

Noah Alkinburgh
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Finally finished a mirror I started almost a year ago. There are so many mistakes in it that its not funny. However the 16 year old girl I gave it to loves it. She doesn't see the flaws just the good stuff.

It is made from white oak scraps that my brother gave me. He uses it to make cannon boxes for the military. I finished with Watco Danish Oil and then Deft semi-gloss. Thanks for looking.

Lee Schierer
09-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Nothing like the smile on a happy customers face as payment in full for a project. Makes the time in tha shop all worthwhile.

Lee

Jim Becker
09-15-2003, 11:30 AM
She has good taste in woodworkers...and in schools! :D (PSU '79)

Nice job on the mirror and don't worry about the little things that only you know about. We are our own worst critics!

Brad Schafer
09-15-2003, 11:34 AM
nice mirror, nice shirt.

b (big Joe Pa fan)

Todd Burch
09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Great job Noah!

Todd.

Tom Sweeney
09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
It aint easy to get a 16 year old girl to smile like that (at least not if you're over 18 ;) ) Trust me I've got a 15 year old - though she smiles more than avg.

I think the mirror looks great.

1 year though - what are you trying to break my record (you didn't) :rolleyes:

Wes Bischel
09-15-2003, 3:43 PM
Noah,

Really nice - especially from "scraps" - that usually makes the design part of the project that much more challenging! As far as mistakes, I agree with what's been said already. Only you know, and if you're smart, "you ain't tellin'" .

Oh, too bad about the shirt. ;)

Wes

Noah Alkinburgh
09-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses!

In regards to Penn State...her mom and dad both graduated from there and her brother is now in the honors college studying engineering...so yeah she is a big fan :D

I have a question for you guys. I thought the inclusion of the knot/grain added to the overall appearence of the mirror by adding a visual effect. What say you? Does it detract? Does it add? Is it a matter of personal preference? I know she likes it so that is all that matters in this case but I would like to know for future reference.

Noah

Tom Sweeney
09-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Mind you I have no taste :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a matter of adding to or subtracting from how nice it is. For me the knots distract from the shaker look. When I think of shaker stuff I think clean & orderly. I think it looks more southwest style or rustic, but with shaker pegs, - but either way it looks nice. I know there are some experts here in shaker style so I will defer to their opinions.

Brad Schafer
09-16-2003, 11:12 AM
I have a question for you guys. I thought the inclusion of the knot/grain added to the overall appearence of the mirror by adding a visual effect. What say you? Does it detract? Does it add? Is it a matter of personal preference? I know she likes it so that is all that matters in this case but I would like to know for future reference.

Noah

To my eye, it looks okay - I don't mind a knot or pronounced grain as long as it's not ostentatious or gratuitous. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it looks fine,

b

Noah Alkinburgh
09-16-2003, 2:28 PM
Mind you I have no taste :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a matter of adding to or subtracting from how nice it is. For me the knots distract from the shaker look. When I think of shaker stuff I think clean & orderly. I think it looks more southwest style or rustic, but with shaker pegs, - but either way it looks nice. I know there are some experts here in shaker style so I will defer to their opinions.

Hey Tom, great thought. I guess I should have said in the Shaker style and not a shaker mirror. Although they were a people who used whatever they had on hand. ;) Really though that was something that didn't cross my mind in laying out.

Noah

Wes Bischel
09-16-2003, 2:45 PM
Noah,

I guess the purist would say no knots. But I think what you have done with the knots looks good and adds to the overall aesthetic of the piece. Another thing to consider is the surrounding pieces in the room for which it is proposed - how well does it fit. Actually come to think of it, you already received the answer to your question - in the second picture you posted - that's what really matters!

As for Penn State - my cousin, uncle and aunt are all alum., and all live in Illinois. And as you know 7/10 of Lancaster Co. are PS fans - the other 3/10 are transplants. I'm a graduate of U of I so I guess I am obligated to poo poo the latest addition to the Big Ten. (come to think of it, I lived across the street from the football stadium - never went to a single game - and one of those years the Illini went to the Rose Bowl. Hmmm :p )

Wes

Phil Phelps
09-16-2003, 4:09 PM
....and the mirror too. Man I wish I was sixteen, again.

Jim Baker
09-16-2003, 5:19 PM
I like the mirror, Noah. I think the knots are a mater of personal preference.

As far as adhering to the "rules" of a particular style are concerned, don't worry about it. If you like it or if your customer or recipient of the piece likes it, that's what counts. No matter what the subject in life, if we all agreed or did it in the same way, there wouldn't need to be so many of us doing it. Go with what you like, Noah.

Sorry, no PSU connections here. My family is mostly Illini and my in-laws are deep Purdue people.

Jim Becker
09-17-2003, 12:06 AM
I have a question for you guys. I thought the inclusion of the knot/grain added to the overall appearance of the mirror by adding a visual effect. What say you? Does it detract? Does it add? Is it a matter of personal preference?

The bottom line is that it is personal preference...and that being said, my own inclination would be to not include prominent features, such as the knots in this type of piece. I would use either straight grained or figured wood that was relatively complimentary to the shape. One of the things I really like about the Shaker style is the emphasis on the beauty and simplicity of the form. I like to see that first and when there is a "feature" in the wood, like the knots, they draw your eyes in immediately and you have to stop and look again to find the form.

Below is a simple cherry mirror that although different from yours, sort of illustrates what I am trying to express. The material has a bit of figure which gives some interest but otherwise is devoid of anything that stands out by itself. The only accents are the square pegs that hold the through tenons (yea, they're glued...it was before I knew what I know now and that the pegs could have done the job alone), but they are small and relatively in the background until you look at them closer. If I was at home, I'd do a doctored version of the photo and fly in some more pronounced features to show a comparison...but I don't have the software nor the original picture with me here where I am right now.

http://sawsndust.com/images/gallery/mirror1.jpg