PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Issues Help

Ben Roman
06-26-2006, 1:57 PM
Hello All,
I need to know if this is normal. Whenever I run my jointer on a board it seems that by the time I get a board flat it is a wedge shape. Then when I run it through the planer the board is too thin for my project. Am I starting on the wrong side of the board? I board had a bow in it but not too bad any suggestions will be appreciated .If anyone in the austin round rock area would like to stop by georgetown area I will provide food and beers ! I need to learn how to tune up machines ! Or correct my user error !!

Ben

Andy Fox
06-26-2006, 2:08 PM
1. Check your feed technique. Are you pressing down at all on the infeed side? If so, stop that! :)

2. Check your jointer setup with an accurate straight edge or dial indicator. Is the top of the outfeed table even with the tops of each of the knives?

3. If you don't need the entire length of the board, rough cut it down to 2-4" over finished length before surfacing. It's easier to manage this way too.

4. If you do need the entire board uncut, find a flatter or thicker board.

Tom Jones III
06-26-2006, 2:53 PM
Most likely your outfeed table is too low (maybe it is too high, I never remember which). Get yourself the book "Mastering Woodworking Machines". There is a good section on setting up your jointer with a paragraph that I have highlighted so I can find it quick.

Brian Hale
06-26-2006, 4:20 PM
Turn the board end-for-end every other pass and apply just enough downward pressure (outfeed side only) to keep the board on the table.

If the board rocks corner to corner on a flat surface, let the jointer eat those high points first by applying pressure over those spots.

Brian :)

Ben Roman
06-26-2006, 5:42 PM
The Board seems to bind a little when it first cuts and goes to the outfeed table. It takes a little pressure to get it to move onto the outfeed table is it too high on that side ??

Ben

Vaughn McMillan
06-26-2006, 5:53 PM
The Board seems to bind a little when it first cuts and goes to the outfeed table. It takes a little pressure to get it to move onto the outfeed table is it too high on that side ??

Ben
I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds to me like your outfeed table is a smidgen too high. That could also be causing the wedge issues you're seeing.

- Vaughn

Ben Roman
06-26-2006, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the tips guys ! I will go home and check it out tonight and post the results.

Ben

Dan Forman
06-26-2006, 9:31 PM
This is a great tutorial on setting up a jointer. http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Tuning%20Tools/Jointers/Jointers.html

Dan

Ben Roman
06-28-2006, 3:24 PM
Well i finally got it figured out. THe outfeed table was a touch too high. I re adjusted the outfeed table with a straight edge and rotated the knives so they barely scrape the straight edge. The jointer now cuts awesome !!!

Ben