PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14" bandsaw differences: 1 HP vs. 1.5 HP models

Andy Fox
06-26-2006, 1:06 PM
Here's my regularly-scheduled weekly bandsaw post..... :)

Is Delta's 1.5 HP (28-248) 14" bandsaw ("X5 replacement"?) the same as the 1 HP (28-206) saw, except for the motor?

I've seen the X5 and especially like the easy to adjust (micrometer adjustment) block guides, simple but sturdy post, table tilt mechanism, and the indexed tensioner. Does the 1 HP (28-206) have all of these? I'm happy with 1 HP, but don't want to give up other features. Anyone had a chance to see or use both of these in person?

(I'm comparing model 28-248 (identical to X5?/replaces the X5?) vs. the 28-206 at: http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=903)

Rick Thom
06-26-2006, 8:15 PM
Yes, the 206 has those features.
I bought a 206 this spring and have to say I'm disappointed in a couple of items. Dust collection is via side mounted 4" port located 1/2 way up lower case. Absolutely useless, may have to improvise for a better solution. I have the 6" riser installed. There is a lot of play in the upper guide assembly holding the bearing and cool blocks. This makes it impossible to properly adjust the blade/block clearance. Lacks the precision I expected.

Aaron Beaver
06-27-2006, 7:43 AM
When I bought my bandsaw I looked at the X5 but ended up going with the 14" Powermatic and have not been disappointed.

Andy Fox
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe not many have seen the 28-248 yet....maybe it's new? A better question might be: How does the 28-206 compare to the X5? I saw the X5 and like it, but it's out of my price range, so I'd like to get the 28-206 if the only thing I'm losing out on is 1/2 HP.

Rick, lack of precision in the upper guide assembly (not parallel with blade) is one reason I'm thinking of returning my current saw, so the 28-206 might not be an improvement. It looks like there are some set screws to square up the guide post which might allow slack, but it sounds like you're saying the actual guide assembly is loose even when all screws are tight? That wasn't the case on the X5 I played with, so that's a big difference with the 206.

I found the American Woodworker October, 2004 review interesting: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_Bandsaws.pdf

The review says (p. 77) that the X5 is made in a different factory to higher standards, and it seems to say that only the X5 has the indexing tension lever with positions for each blade size.

Rick Thom
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Andy, when the 6" riser is added, a longer post (@12") and blade guard is used to permit the blade guide assembly containing the cool blocks and rear bearing to be raised and lowered based on the height of the piece of material being sawn. The post, which is @ 1" in dia, rides in a bore drilled into the cast iron upper housing, and is secured with a thumbscrew at the height chosen. That post desn't fit snuggly in the bore and when secured with the thumbscrew can be moved almost 1/4" laterally when fully extended. Poor machining, needs (longer) sleeve, needs alternative to single thumbscrew... who knows??
I'm considering removing the riser block to see if it's any better.
Just on the dust collection alone, I'll probably end up popping a 2" or 4" hole through the side door and installing a second dust port. Not rocket science.
I'm not aware of any difference design-wise between the X5 and 206 beyond the 1/2 hp, but it may have better QC as well.

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2006, 2:00 PM
Andy, when the 6" riser is added, a longer post (@12") and blade guard is used to permit the blade guide assembly containing the cool blocks and rear bearing to be raised and lowered based on the height of the piece of material being sawn. The post, which is @ 1" in dia, rides in a bore drilled into the cast iron upper housing, and is secured with a thumbscrew at the height chosen. That post desn't fit snuggly in the bore and when secured with the thumbscrew can be moved almost 1/4" laterally when fully extended. Poor machining, needs (longer) sleeve, needs alternative to single thumbscrew... who knows??
I'm considering removing the riser block to see if it's any better.I've got a year-old 206 (without the riser): the post on mine is almost too snug in the bore, but there's no play whatsoever when tightened. Also, you say "thumbscrew": mine has a big triangular knob about 2-1/2" in diameter.

Have you measured the post and hole to see what kind of clearance is actually there? Might just need to call up Delta and get a new post.

Rick Thom
06-27-2006, 2:52 PM
Lee, you are probably right on both counts. Haven't mic'd it but it's very sloppy. Smacks of slack QC. I should probably get after local Delta dealer I purchased from.

CPeter James
06-27-2006, 3:01 PM
That sloppy fit is typical of Asian built products. Everything seems to have about 1/16" running clearance. My DJ20 jointer cross slide is loose because of it. Everything I look at in the stores is like that. No close tolerances, maybe they want to be sure that it can go together the first time and they don't have machines that can do tight fit. Who knows?

CPeter

Carl Crout
06-27-2006, 4:19 PM
Maybe not many have seen the 28-248 yet....maybe it's new? A better question might be: How does the 28-206 compare to the X5? I saw the X5 and like it, but it's out of my price range, so I'd like to get the 28-206 if the only thing I'm losing out on is 1/2 HP.

My X5 is 1.5hp on 120V but 2 hp on 240V......:)
check the specs....... you may be losing 1hp...........