PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2006, 9:50 AM
Good Morning,

It's back to work today....but the weekend was very good.

Friday, Mark Cothren and I left for Knoxville, TN to a BBQ held by Dick Parr.

Saturday was spent spinning stuff on the lathe and talking shop as well as
getting to see a Big Mike Stafford Box Making Demo. That was a real treat.

Sunday was breakfast with everyone, cut up some wood, load up and head back to Arkysaw.

Many thanks to Dick and Micky Parr for a most WONDERFUL time at the BBQ!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Doyle Alley
06-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Not a good weekend. We had a huge lightning storm on Sunday and the house took a hit. It must have struck the power line because it took out the whole left side if my breaker panel. Odd that it only hit one leg. Cycling the breakers got back the power. In the garage, the capacitor for my well pump was blown apart. Fortunately, putting it back together got the well back on line. The A/C unit wasn't so lucky. I'm waiting for the repair guy to come check it out. The phone line was dead - repair man fixed that this morning.

Other than the unknown damage to the A/C, I'm down at least 1 phone answering machine, 2 phone radio clocks, and 1 Dish Network receiver. Fortunately, the computer is on a UPS and the big screen TV and stereo electronics are on a power conditioner. No damage to them.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Just drooled over my keyboard and tried numerous home remedies to get the GREEN out of me over the Knoxville and S. Wisconsin get togethers!

Karl Laustrup
06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, our get together didn't involve turning or cutting anything. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38632

Just a lot of good food and good times with good friends. Too bad the two get togethers weren't a little closer. We could have made it one big get together. :)

Karl

Scott Coffelt
06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
We had ball practise on Saturday morning, house cleaning during the day, though I was able to buy a sheet of birch ply for a bathroom vanity. Had Brother and SIL over for a nice dinner Sat night.

Sunday I got to find the shop in I do not know how long, so I got it picked up (too many tools laying around from other projects, vac'd up some sawdust that escaped the cyclone and then finally got the Festool out to begin breaking down the ply for the cabinet. Got most of the carcuss cut up and assembled, hope to find some time this week to wrap up that portion.

Snuck in a little racing, golf and soccer on the teli. Finally, we had my niece and her boyfriend over for dinner on Sunday night. Overall, I would say it was a good weekend.

PS: I am volunteering for the Senior golf tourny in KC this week, son's ball game tonight, golf league on Wednesday and the races (Truck & IRL) hitting this next weekend, so my hope of progressing on the above is in dire jeopardy.

Mark Cothren
06-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll chime in with Dennis... it was a long, but GREAT, weekend!

Dick and Mickey are absolutely wonderful hosts!!! They opened up their house (and camper) to us and made us feel right at home. I can't thank them enough.

Also appreciate Joe Tonich sharing his camper, too! Nice to be able to camp in the hard... made us Arky rednecks feel right at home...:D

I'll end with this... everything and anything you've ever imagined about what Andy would be like in person? It's waaaay worse than that...:eek: ;)

Steve Hayes
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
The wife and I went to the antique shops half a day Friday and all day Saturday. Found a great deal on three matching stained glass windows. Sunday finished the third and last hand rails and ballusts for the front porch. Then fired up the grill and had some great fajitas. Oh I forgot we adopted a strawberry finch on Sunday.

Michael Stafford
06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I had a great time at the Knoxville Turn-a-thon. What a great group of guys. Turned a lot, laughed a lot and ate a lot....Here is one more group photo sans Big Mike. You never met a nicer bunch of men....

Don Baer
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Well I didn't get to go to any creeker outings and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn either..:(

I spent saturday taking care of all of the little things the house inspector found wrong with the house that I am selling. Sunday I watched the race and turned a little funnel. :(

Earl Reid
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
We had a wonderful, busy, weekend. Several mounths age we were asked to take part in a educational program at the Holden Arboretum in Kirtland Oh.. Toothpicks to Violins, was the topic. I had a display of some of the smaller items in my collection and making Pens, I turned a few pens and talked to a lot of young folks and the parents about woodworking , using smaller pieces of wood. I was able to promote the FPP and recieved donations. I met a lot of people, It was a wonderful experience.
Also our family started arriving for our granddaughter's wedding next weekend.:) :)

Have Fun
Earl:)

Matt Meiser
06-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Got the frame of my utility trailer powerwashed, wire wheeled, and coated with a rust converter on Saturday then painted it Sunday morning. Also spent some time wiring the new control system for my dust collection and HVAC in my shop and doing some general straightening. My goal is to get enough of my other projects done that I can get some time on the lathe this coming weekend, which will be a 4 day weekend for me.

Jim O'Dell
06-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I had a pretty good weekend. Spent Sat morning cleaning the rest of the junk out of the old vehicle to sell it. Spent the afternoon working in the shop. Sun am went to HD to get a piece of 1.25" PVC for the sprinkler system to pipe in the replacement pump. Needed all of 2.5" of it. :( Spent the rest of the day working in the shop. I've chronicled that in my shop rehab update. Have a good week! Jim.

Mark J Bachler
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Poured concrete for the 20' x 28' addition to the shop. Soon to be a finishing room & lumber storage area. That'll make the shop 28' x 60'.

David Duke
06-26-2006, 3:25 PM
This was a really good weekend for me, I was able to finally deliver my latest project. I am a member of our local school board and our superintendent announced in March that he was going to retire after 29 years in our district the last 13 as supt., to make a long story short my fellow trustees and I decided to heck with a watch, he deserved so much more for all that he had done for our district and community and we decide on a grandfather clock. We all went together for material and the movement and I built it, it was one of those projects that just makes you feel good, especially the look on his face Saturday. I hope to get pictures posted this evening before the pic police get me.

Saturday evening spent time with my boys and grandson, Sunday the LOML and I worked in the yard that morning and that afternoon went and watched our neighbors grandson play baseball, so overall it was a really good weekend.

Tyler Howell
06-26-2006, 4:36 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post386909 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?u=2322&dateline=1149642289 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=2322)</TD><TD noWrap>Michael Stafford (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=2322) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_386909", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Mar 2004

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_386909><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->I had a great time at the Knoxville Turn-a-thon. What a great group of guys. Turned a lot, laughed a lot and ate a lot....Here is one more group photo sans Big Mike. You never met a nicer bunch of men....
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That is one scary bunch of wood chuckers. Sorry I missed it.

Got my work project done, with a little time left over for some sailing.:cool:

Jerry Strojny
06-26-2006, 4:48 PM
Built my wife some copper sprinklers. Also built a changing table topper for the dresser.

I just realized out of the last 17 days, i've been home 7. It was nice to get back in the shop and do some cuttin. The copper was a little out of character, but I still enjoyed it. (You can tell they were my first, just don't tell my wife.)

It's good to be back on the creek too.

Jim Becker
06-26-2006, 5:01 PM
This was a rough weekend with little accomplished. It rained a lot. (and still is) "The Older" had some real emotional and behavioral setbacks Friday night and a good part of the beginning of Saturday, despite a really nice family dinner at my favorite Japanese restaurant on Friday night. I did take a ride to the blue 'borg with "The Younger" on Saturday afternoon to pick up a few things an use a $10 off card before it expired and we watched "Sound of Music" that night.

Sunday was much more pleasant, with some nice donuts and donut holes for breakfast, a really great and hilarious Comedy Improv in the "family theater" by "The Older" called Pirate Underwear (http://toscax.us/videos/pirate-underwear.wmv), swimming at the YMCA, hair trims for the girls and the last coat of Kubota orange paint on the back-blade restoration project. Maybe next weekend I can do something spinny...

Fred Voorhees
06-26-2006, 5:05 PM
With the local dirt track racing being rained out, it opened up my entire Saturday and I utilized it by doing a really good cleaning up of my shop in anticipation of the next small project. My mom wants some cafe style doors (you know, the ones that swing both ways) for an open doorway between her living room and a back room. I will be measuring the opening this coming weekend when my wife and I go down and spend four or five days with her and my younger brother.

After the shop was cleaned up, I spent some time shooting around the "net" including of course here at SMC. Spent a good number of hours on the research project trying to compile a complete history of one of the Northeast's legend drivers and the wins that he has accumulated up and down the east coast and even into Australia.

Sunday was an easier day of it. Some early morning web browsing and waiting on "The guys" to come over for the days NASCAR event. The days menu included stuffed shells and lasagna and cold Coors Light.

Alan DuBoff
06-26-2006, 5:25 PM
I acquired "BIG MOMMA (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38648)". :rolleyes:

Here's some pics I took yesterday, at this link (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/ya-g89/).

Andy Fox
06-26-2006, 5:27 PM
Arrgggghhhhh! :mad: I'm a slacker!!!! :o

I missed the "heirloom cherry cradle" deadline. It's still in pieces. The legs and feet aren't even cut to size and shape yet! Baby is due this week!

.....I guess it will have to sleep in the store-bought painted pine crib. :rolleyes: Poor kid. :(

Vaughn McMillan
06-26-2006, 5:50 PM
Way hot and humid in SoCal this weekend, but I kept busy regardless. Saturday was errand day, and working on a few odds and ends in the shop, and dinner out with LOML to celebrate our 1-month wedding anniversary (and the 10-year anniversary of our first date). After dinner, I roughed out my first bowl on my mini lathe and got it in the alcohol bath. Just a chunk of indeterminate yard tree wood, but it's got some nice grain.

Sunday was largely spent helping my new BIL on several projects he's doing for his viking re-enactment group. He's tool-challenged, so I'm doing all the measuring and cutting, but he's doing the "woodburned" embellishments. (Fake woodburning accomplished with a RotoZip and brown Kiwi shoe polish. It looks pretty convincing, and it's quite a bit quicker.) The only downside is BIL is about the whiniest, least confident person I've ever met, and he stresses over every slight little glitch. In one example, he carved slightly outside of the intended lines for about 1/2 inch on one piece yesterday, and promptly gave up, saying "I can't do this". It took me an hour to convince him that epoxy putty and time would make the error disappear. Even after I got him started "carving" again, I still had to spend the rest of the day listening to him kick himself repeatedly over that completely inconsequential mistake (and every other thing that might possibly go wrong with the project). I really want to help the guy out, and I like using other peoples' wood as an excuse to play in the shop, but spending the day wallowing in his negativity is not my idea of fun. If I had a nickle for every time he said "now I've ruined it", I'd be a rich guy. ;)

Also continued applying finish to a box that's already sold, and got the next cutting board order cut up and glued.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
06-26-2006, 8:10 PM
Well, our get together didn't involve turning or cutting anything. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38632

Just a lot of good food and good times with good friends. Too bad the two get togethers weren't a little closer. We could have made it one big get together. :)

Karl

Yeah, what Karl said!!! :D :) :cool:

Dave Fifield
06-26-2006, 9:15 PM
I fiinished off these http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38639 and delivered them.

Dave F.

Al Willits
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Not a bad weekend for me either, the wife and I are on a weeks vacation so we've gotten in 36 holes of golf so far, I've ordered a York 8" Jointer and a 15" planer, wandered over to Amazon and ordered a PG 4212 and a cartridge filter for the JDS Dustforce, we picked up today and discovered what zero funds in the stash fund feel like ... again.

Tomm we're off to a couple of local winery's to play tourist and then to a couple of lumber yards we haven't been to.

Sorry to hear about the lighting strike, they can get expensive.

AL who's gonna take three more ibuprofen and go to bed....:)

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 4:07 PM

Karl

What Karl said....or was it John?

Chip Olson
06-27-2006, 4:15 PM
Well, the previous weekend I installed the doors I built for our built-in hutch. First try was a flop, as I stink at installing conventional hinges, especially in inset applications. Went back to Rockler the next morning and picked up some cup hinges, was happy to discover that I did indeed have a Forstner bit the right size, and did some kludgey shimming to mount the hinges. Nice thing about cup hinges is the 3-way adjustability; it took a bit of fiddlng but I got both doors nicely aligned. Going to need to build a table and fence for the drill press when I get to the kitchen cabinet doors, to make drilling the cup holes easier.

Saturday I finished spraying the third coat of USL on the panels for the kitchen cabinets. They could probably stand some sanding and another coat, but this has taken long enough and inside the cabinets is not a high-visibility location. :-) Sunday I installed the latches for the hutch doors and put up a towel rack in our bathroom, and cleaned up the shop. Was all set to finally start assembling the cabinets, but LOML allowed as to how she was in need of some social time, and we called some friends and had a lovely dinner out instead.

Monday evening, I managed to get back into the shop for just long enough to assemble the first cabinet. I need to remember that working in a hurry is a bad idea; I forgot to put glue between the side and top/bottom panels, and put a couple of pilot holes in the wrong places. Nothing serious (I'll just add a couple more screws to compensate for the lack of glue), but I was annoyed at myself. Nice to finally get a box built, though; the face frames have been sitting completed behind my drill press for almost a year.

Andy Hoyt
06-27-2006, 5:06 PM
Umm. I put a lot of miles on the Exploder.

Here's a pic of one of them.

Matt Meiser
06-27-2006, 5:22 PM
Umm. I put a lot of miles on the Exploder.

Here's a pic of one of them.

Andy, your airbag light is on. :eek:

John Miliunas
06-27-2006, 5:25 PM
Bet that was one of the few times he was doing the legal limit, too! :eek: :D Welcome home, Andy!!! Well done, my friend! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 5:53 PM
Bet that was one of the few times he was doing the legal limit, too! :eek: :D Welcome home, Andy!!! Well done, my friend! :) :cool:

That was probably in the parking lot of Baskin~Robbins. :eek: :D

Which one. Every one he saw. ;) :D :D

Glad your home Andy. Job well done.

Karl

Steve Clardy
06-27-2006, 6:14 PM
Spent all day friday loading cabinets and tools till 2:30, then buzzed over to I-70 and picked John up, then headed to St. Louis and parked the trailer at the customers house, then motel, eat, etc.
Spent sat and sun installing cabinets, got paid, loaded up by 5:00, then headed towards home, dropped john off, then on home at 10:30.

I'm still beat.

Andy Hoyt
06-27-2006, 7:33 PM

So that's what that thing is! :eek:

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 9:10 PM

Does that mean Andy is an airbag?