PDA

View Full Version : Loose Tenon Joinery - my video

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 7:29 AM
I'm new to this forum (been reading for a while, never posted). I thought I'd introduce myself by sharing a technique I've recently developed for making mortises on the router table.

I made a video that illustrates this operation. The setup lends itself nicely to loose tenon joinery.

This is not a commercial post; I'm not selling anything...just trying to give something back to the numerous forums that have provided me with valuable information over the years.

Go to www.EagleLakeWoodworking.com (http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/) , click on the "In the Shop" button at the top and click the link for "Loose Tenon Joinery".

I'd love to hear what you think about the setup. Suggestions, criticism & comments are welcome and appreciated!

John Nixon - Buffalo, NY

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2006, 7:46 AM
Awesome setup John! I'm envious. Thanks for posting, and welcome to SMC!!!:)

tod evans
06-26-2006, 8:11 AM
welcome to smc john! pretty slick set-up. tod

Mark Singer
06-26-2006, 8:31 AM
Very nice....Great video!

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the compliments everybody. That was quite a warm welcome!

Scott Thornton
06-26-2006, 9:50 AM
Welcome to the Creek...

Nice video, looks like you have done some pretty cool projects.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 9:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek John! Wade right in the water's fine!

Julio Navarro
06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Great video, nice jig and router lift!

Any chance we can get a closer look at the router lift mechanism?

did you buy it or did you engineer it yourself?

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Great video, nice jig and router lift!

Any chance we can get a closer look at the router lift mechanism?

did you buy it or did you engineer it yourself?

Thanks Julio.

The router lift mechanism is a home built. It's a very simple approach if you have this style router (Hitachi M12V). Any router where the up/down is controlled by a nut on a threaded rod may be a candidate for this.

The lift is powered by a cannibalized powered screw driver. There's some pics of the lift mechanism here:
http://www.eagleLakeWoodworking.com/MotorizedRouterLift/index.html

Allen Bookout
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
John,

Glad to have you here! The only problem is that I needed to be out doing a couple of projects and instead I have been sitting here looking at your web site. Very nice shop setup and you did a very good job with the site. Easy to navigate which is more than I can say for some of the commerical sites.

The video was concise and instructive. Excellent! For me I can get more out of one video that I can taking a huge amount of extra time to read a chapter in a book and look at their pictures trying to figure out what they are doing.

Thanks for taking the time and effort (not to mention the dollars) to set up a really good site and most of all, thanks for shareing it here!!!!!

Allen

Julio Navarro
06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I also enjoyed the video immensly. One thing did bother me though: Maybe you could change the angle of the overhead shot so we dont see so much of the back of your head.

Its a good head, mind you, I am sure, but I would like to have seen you align the marks:o

I think a slight angle change and some editing might nominate that video for an Acadamy Award.

What luck! I have that router and a spare electric drill!!!

I smell a new project!

Julio Navarro
06-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I see it!

It actually looks kinda easy. You simply attached a drill to the end of the raiser screw of the router base, dismanteled the switch and forward/reverse contact and connected it to an on/off and toggle switch, correct?

If a variable speed drill is used a variable resistor would allow for finer lifting/lowering, not that it is needed, I wouldnt imagine.

does the drill shut off automatically when the router is raised to the preadjusted height?

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
John,

Glad to have you here! The only problem is that I needed to be out doing a couple of projects and instead I have been sitting here looking at your web site.

:o Ut oh, if you're working on those projects for a living, I'm cutting in on your livelihood. I don't want to be responsible if you don't make the mortage this month!

Kidding aside, thank you for the compliments! I agree with you on video being an excellent media for conveying a message. I thought about making a photo step by step of the process, but this just seemed simpler and more appealing. I'm glad I did it this way, it seems well received.

John

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Its a good head, mind you, I am sure, but I would like to have seen you align the marks:o

:D lol, that's funny. My son said something similar about seeing the back / top of my head. I'm not sure what his issue was. He's only 5, so I don't think he was after more details about the setup process.

It actually looks kinda easy. You simply attached a drill to the end of the raiser screw of the router base, dismantled the switch and forward/reverse contact and connected it to an on/off and toggle switch, correct?

I had to make a new raiser post. I used a piece of 1/2 copper pipe. To firm it up a bit, there's piece of 1/2 black pipe inside. In one end, I soldered in a standard bit that fits into the end of the powered screw driver. In the other end, I soldered in a nut.

Also, remember to take out your plunge springs - the router will raise much easier.

You are correct about the switch. Getting the voltage down to the 3.5 volt was a challenge. I ended up adding a 2.25 amp powerstat that allows me to control voltage. I originally thought I'd play with this more, but I've found a suitable setting, and just leave it alone.

does the drill shut off automatically when the router is raised to the preadjusted height?

The powered screwdriver driver has that torque setting that makes it click when it can't turn anymore. Surprisingly, I can hear that happen and know that I'm at the top.

I did install a digital caliper with a remote readout for this same purpose (knowing how far the bit has come up). It doesn't work reliably when the router is on :mad: . It gets confused from the vibration I think.

John

John Scarpa
06-26-2006, 1:06 PM
John,

Great work on the video and an ingenious set up! welcome to the creek.

John Nixon
06-26-2006, 6:43 PM

Julio, I have attached a couple of pics that show how the stops are constructed. I printed the ruler on clear adhesive backed paper and affixed them to the UHMV plastic stops. The stops are held in place when you tight the knob that drive the machine bolt into the stop and forces the split to become wider. Let me know if this wasn't a clear description.

Rich Torino
06-26-2006, 7:15 PM
John,
grea video not to mention excelent work

Jim Becker
06-26-2006, 9:18 PM
Very nice job on the video, John. And a nice router-based slot-mortiser!

I do agree with Julio that I would enjoy seeing some of the milling from the other side...

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 9:39 PM
Awesome set up John. Welcome to SMC and thanks for posting.

corey

Larry Cooke
06-27-2006, 1:17 AM
John,

Very well done, it was very easy to understand and straight forward. I like how you added the powered raise and lower feature too. Very creative, now you realize I'm going to have to figure out to do this with mine don't you? Curse you! :D

You have some nice projects you built too. Real nice set up all around.

Thanks for sharing this!

Larry

John Nixon
06-27-2006, 7:31 AM
Very creative, now you realize I'm going to have to figure out to do this with mine don't you? Curse you! :D

Thanks Larry!
I'd be happy to help you with any of the details for setting up your motorized router raiser. I have to say, it's the coolest thing in my shop. I used to crank that darn router forever - up and down, up and down. Now changing bits is much easier, and the router drops down in less than 5 seconds.

I sort of felt like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor", strapping a motor to my router, but it worked out great.

John

Tyler Howell
06-27-2006, 8:43 AM
Well done John!
Picture Police Gold Star Award.