PDA

View Full Version : Nova question.

Bill Sheppard
06-26-2006, 6:47 AM
I just acquired a Nova Scroll chuck and have a question. The insert that came with the chuck will only screw into the chuck about 1/2 a thread. The new insert I purchased to fit my lathe does the same. I haven't tried putting wrenches on it yet, only starting the insert by hand. Is this normal and are the threads supposed to be that tight? Thanks for any help.

Kenneth George
06-26-2006, 8:51 AM
Bill, I have several NOVA chucks of different models and I also have several thread adapters for them. I move them back and forth between my 1X8 and my 1-1/4X8 spindles on the two lathes. I have not experienced the issues you describe. Is the chuck purchased new or used? If used I would examine the threads to see if the previous owner cross threaded an insert into it. If the threads are damaged inside the chuck body repair is not impossible but difficult and time consuming. They are a very coarse thread and can be worked with patience. Also, the newer NOVA scroll chucks do not use and adapter but instead are threaded for the spindle size and thread pattern to mount directly. Make sure your adapter fits the chuck before all else. Measure the distance between two of the threads on the adapter than measure the first two threads inside the chuck body and compare. Do not force this adapter on the chuck as you will only make the condition worse.

Ken

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Bill, I had the same problem with my oneway talon adapter, the threads
were not cut properly and they replaced it no prob. The adapter should
spin on with no resistance at all, if it doesn't I would not force it but
send it back for replacement.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
One thing you might check........in mine there was a set screw used to hold the adapter in place. Make sure the set screw is backed out before trying to insert the threaded adapter.

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-26-2006, 7:18 PM
Take the adapter out of the chuck and try threading it on the lathe by itself. If it works then you may have tightened the grub screw that holds the insert in the chuck too tight and caused it to egg a little. DAMHIKT!

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 7:45 PM
I recently bought the Nova Midi, it just direct threads onto the spindle.

Corey

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2006, 8:47 PM
I had one that wouldn't seat all the way into the chuck. I called the vendor and they stated to use more force to seat it properly. It took a breaker bar and a vice to get it properly seated. It was tight...but it seated. It should thread in without any real force and the final seating of the adapter could require some strong force to seat it all the way. Just my past experiences.