PDA

View Full Version : Hot

Bruce Benjamin
06-26-2006, 12:34 AM
The past two days it's been 115 degrees here in sunny Northern California. Now, at about 9:30 it's cooled down to a brisk 95 degrees. At least the humidity went up. ;) Tomorrow it's only supposed to get up to 114 degrees. Hooray. Way too hot to work in the garage shop even with fans running full blast. Even with the house air conditioning running non-stop it was only able to keep the house down to 87 degrees. I guess if it was cool here the population would be over a million instead of about 80K. With the on and off winds we've been having the past few days it's a miracle that there hasn't been any giant forest fires. Ugh!

Bruce

Ernie Kuhn
06-26-2006, 1:03 AM
Bruce,
We're at 100 today and forecast for 102 Mon and 104 on Tuesday, here in eastern Washington. Hot enough! You are welcome to keep the extra 10 degrees.
Ernie

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2006, 7:58 AM
....and I was griping last week when it reached 100 here. Wow. Another 10-15 degrees would be unbearable. 100 was bad enough w/o any A/C in my truck. Luckily it was just low on refrigerant with no detectable leaks. I'll take winter over summer without hesitation!

Joe Pelonio
06-26-2006, 8:00 AM
We too set a record yesterday, even here in the Seattle area (just east) it hit '94. Happily, it cooled off to 62 during the night. Predictions are for a few degrees hotter today then cooling after that. I had to laugh out loud when I saw this on the internet weather report for today. All this over 90-100 and a little bit of smog:

!!! Weather Alert !!!

WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES- 508 AM PDT MON JUN 26 2006 ...AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM PDT TUESDAY... ...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 8 PM PDT THIS EVENING... STRONG HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE AREA WILL RESULT IN THE HOTTEST WEATHER SO FAR THIS YEAR. TEMPERATURES AT MANY PLACES IN THE INTERIOR WILL CLIMB INTO THE 90S THIS AFTERNOON WITH TEMPERATURES IN SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON NEAR 100 DEGREES. THE HOT WEATHER WILL CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...USE PORTABLE FANS IF AIR CONDITIONING IS NOT AVAILABLE...AVOID STAYING IN THE SUN FOR LENGTHY PERIODS...AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS. IN ADDITION TO THE HEAT...THE AIR MASS IS EXPECTED TO BECOME STAGNANT LATER TODAY. AN AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY MEANS LIMITED MOVEMENT IN THE AIR MASS OVER THE AREA COMBINED WITH HOT TEMPERATURES COULD ALLOW POLLUTANTS...PARTICULARLY OZONE LEVELS...TO BUILD TO UNHEALTHY LEVELS.

<!-- Pop-up long fuse weather alert close --><!-- Weather Alert open -->

Bruce Benjamin
06-26-2006, 2:13 PM
....and I was griping last week when it reached 100 here. Wow. Another 10-15 degrees would be unbearable. 100 was bad enough w/o any A/C in my truck. Luckily it was just low on refrigerant with no detectable leaks. I'll take winter over summer without hesitation!

100 is very common here. It's not unbearable for me since this is where I grew up but I'd guess that Virginia is much worse at this temperature because of the humidity. I've lived in NYC and spent a little time in Texas and Hawaii so I know a little about humidity. Right now the humidity is 21% which is higher than it will be later today. Last night at 9:30 it went up to 35%. 115 degrees and 60% might be deadly and I don't think there are too many places in the US that get that bad. I've seen 120 degrees here on several occasions and 126 on a trip to Death Valley. It's 11:00 and it's already 100. They're predicting possible thunderstorms later in the week so that's when the humidity climbs up above 50%. That's rare here when it's hot though. Nothin' like baking in a nice dry, hot oven. I remember twenty something years ago in boot camp some guys getting blisters on their hands from pushups on the hot asphalt in the 115 degree weather. That wasn't pleasant.

Bruce

Brett Baldwin
06-26-2006, 2:25 PM
Gosh, its been a balmy 107 down here in the Valley of the Sun. Haven't checked the humdity lately but its been up the last few days. I generally just notice whether or not a cold drink sweats or not. It looks like everywhere is seeing the warm stuff. Hmmm...what are those buzzwords going around? Global warming?:rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
06-26-2006, 2:28 PM
Gosh, its been a balmy 107 down here in the Valley of the Sun. Haven't checked the humdity lately but its been up the last few days. I generally just notice whether or not a cold drink sweats or not. It looks like everywhere is seeing the warm stuff. Hmmm...what are those buzzwords going around? Global warming?:rolleyes:
That must be it.

Rob Russell
06-26-2006, 3:18 PM
Send some sun our way. All we've been getting recently is rain - almost like we're in Seattle.

Bruce Benjamin
06-26-2006, 3:21 PM
It looks like everywhere is seeing the warm stuff. Hmmm...what are those buzzwords going around? Global warming?:rolleyes:

I believe the buzzword that applies here is, "Summer". This is a standard Redding summer. Actually, compared to the late '60's and '70's the summers are a little cooler here. Weather patterns run on a cycle. Here, rain is on an approximate 20 year cycle. Not sure about the heat but I suspect it's similar. Hot is hot and I envy those of you who have air conditioned shops. I tried to do a little work in my garage/shop yesterday but I was sweating so much I couldn't see through my safety/reading glasses.

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
06-26-2006, 4:08 PM
Send some sun our way. All we've been getting recently is rain - almost like we're in Seattle.
So that's where our rain went!!

Bruce, a window AC is under $100 these days. I have a big roof heat pump here at the leased shop, but at home we have window units in our bedroom and in the family room. Well worth it for those few weeks when it gets above 85. We have only had them 2 years, before that we'd talk about it then it would cool off again and we'd forget about it. Finally we had a two week heat spell and I finally got them.

Frank Fusco
06-26-2006, 6:01 PM
High 70's, North Central Arkansas :D

Don Baer
06-26-2006, 6:08 PM
99 degrees and humid. yuck feels like I'm in the midwest.

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2006, 7:47 PM
...I'd guess that Virginia is much worse at this temperature because of the humidity.
Bruce
As bad as it is here, Alabama was worse. I lived there until 2004. There, summer just drags on and on and on.......winter is almost non-existant. I think the last year I remember getting any truly remarkable snow in Birmingham was 1994. I thought "global warming" was a myth for years, but I am seeing some truth in it now....just not sure about the purported reasons why it is happening.

Al Willits
06-26-2006, 11:37 PM
High 80's here today in sunny, but somewhat snowy Minn..

Just a reminder for those who have A/C units, keep the condenser clean and check the filter often, maybe once a month.

Al

Bruce Benjamin
06-27-2006, 1:19 AM
High 80's here today in sunny, but somewhat snowy Minn..

Just a reminder for those who have A/C units, keep the condenser clean and check the filter often, maybe once a month.

Al

Check the what? You mean that thing that whistles all the time? I thought it was self-cleaning. ;) Gotta get to that right now, now that you mention it.

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
06-27-2006, 9:38 AM
Monday hit 94, only 40% humidity though, and cooled to 63 overnight.