PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of workbench wobble...

Dusty Fuller
06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
I'll need some advice on ridding my bench of its slight wobble, but I'll have to get a picture or two to keep from going on and on describing what I'd like to do. Not the prettiest thing but it will really suit my needs when I get this last bit of motion out. I may just need to weigh the thing down. Four legs, no sled-like rails. Stretchers running long-ways but not 'depth-ways' yet. Overhang where vise is attached but that's not the problem, don't plane too much there anyway. I'll put those pictures up within a week or so but I just wanted to get some gears turning. Looking forward to the responses, as SMC folk are always creative and helpful.:D

Dusty

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Dusty, when I built my bench last year, I made some rather sturdy Maple stretchers on the bottom of the bench, but also, near the top, as well. Bottom stretchers are 2x8's, while the top are 2x2-1/2. All solid hardwood Maple. I also "boxed" in both of the ends. Solid as a rock and, if you so choose, I wouldn't hesitate parking a truck on it!!! :) :cool:

Hank Knight
06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Dusty,

I have two thoughts:

(1) screw a sheet of plywood to the back set of legs and the two side sets. The plywood will stop the wracking.

(2) A more involved solution but on the same principle: build a drawer case that rests on the bottom stretchers exactly the width of the inside space between the legs and screw the sides of the case to the legs. The case will brace the workbench base and prevent wracking.

My $.02.

Hank

Dusty Fuller
06-27-2006, 11:10 PM
This is what I like about The Creek... on-target responses from folks who (may) have been there before. I'll be putting in the extra stretchers first. I'll also be looking around for some 1" thick or so metal plates for the insides of my lower stretchers (they're 7 1/2" tall and about 2" thick so it won't hurt them to have some iron bolted to them). I appreciate the help everybody.

Dusty

Dusty Fuller
11-01-2006, 9:51 PM
Well I finally got some pictures, only six months later. Sorry about that. I started a new job and taking pictures of stuff just completely left my mind. But I've been using the workbench since then. I trimmed a couple of the legs a smidge and it doesn't rock anymore. It's going to stay like it is for the time being, but it may get an appearance upgrade if I get in that mood. Its a bit of an unusual design, but it works pretty well.