PDA

View Full Version : Need some help- working on a collection plate

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I got this pecan from a minister who has just started a church. I decided I'd make a collection plate, but I am having some trouble with the design. Here is what I have so far, and it is just roughed out, so I can make changes. The rim looks flat in the pic but is actually at the same angle as it is on the underside. Any ideas?

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 12:31 AM
I think it is a winner the way it is Ernie. I would just finish turn it and add some finish and call it done! Very nice gift Ernie and I am sure he will love it.
Corey

Earl Eyre
06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I think it looks great, too. I might flatten the bottom. They need to be very stable to sit on communion tables, alters, wherever. I would think in terms of a regular plate--the bottom is usually flat clear out to where the sides start going up. But the shape is really nice. He will be very happy, especially if he can start filling it up on Sundays! :)

Earl

John Timberlake
06-26-2006, 8:37 AM
I think that the inside is deep enough, so I would take most of the wood off the outside when finish turning. Shape looks good. Agree that it need to have a nice, stable base and not too much weight in the final piece. He will love it.

Mark Cothren
06-26-2006, 8:59 AM
If it was my church I'd want it bigger.........;) :D

Just kidding. I also have volunteered to turn a couple of plates for a new church that started recently (my in-laws attend there). So I'm glad to see your's here. Looks good to me. The main thing to me is that it is easy to grab and hold onto if it's being passed from person to person.

Good work!

Jim Becker
06-26-2006, 9:19 AM
I think it's a nice flowing design. One thing you need to accomplish, however, is to get the thickness reduced to an even amount throughout the form...and it has to be somewhat thin because a collection plate really can't be "heavy". Can you do that with that form? This is obviously in addition to Mark's comments that the plate needs to be easy to handle by folks of all ages.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Ernie I like it as is. I would make sure like Jim said and make it as thin as you can. At least 1/4". Put some finish on it and go. Nice job.

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't think you will need to worry about weight, Pecan is usually
pretty light when dry. I like it a lot, as Jim mentioned getting
the thickness even will make or break it. Then again as it will be
passed around & handled by a lot of people & you don't want the
rim to thin...I've been thinking of making one of those out of Mesquite.
Be sure and post the finished plate.

Philip Duffy
06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Well, I hope you have a wealth parish as that beauty will hold a lot of cash! Phil

Mark Patoka
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
My initial concern was also the rim and how durable it will be as that will be the most susceptible to breakage. You may also want to make sure the plates will stack together nicely if you're making more than one or as a set.

Don Baer
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Another thought is to line the bottom of the plate with some felt. This will keep any coins from bouncing out. I know they should be putting in bills and checks but frequently parents will give there kids coins to put in the plate.

Ernie Nyvall
06-26-2006, 4:38 PM
Wow, great feedback everyone. Thank you very much.:D

Ernie

Christopher Pine
06-26-2006, 9:23 PM
My only thoght were to the fact that this will be passed down the pew.. rim will need to be strong enough as that is likely what folks will hold onto.. otherwise it looks great!

Chris