PDA

View Full Version : Upadate Zack's Lumber Rack

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-23-2003, 2:08 PM
My helper, Bobby (http://www.zackjennings.com/Bio/bobby.jpg) , and I worked on the Lumber Rack all day on Saturday. My legs felt like noodles from climbing the ladder. We finished the plywood storage but we need something. I put a plywood floor in it and wanted to put 1/4" masonite over it to help the plywood slide. I did not have any masonite and it was raining. We put 8 heavy sheets of plywood in the rack and they don't slide easily. <p>
Question?? Will heavy plywood slide in and out any easier on Masonite? I don't want to empty this bin if it will not improve things. <p>
We built a shelf unit behind the plywood bin. The shelves are all 3/4" Cabinet grade plywood on a 2" X 4" cantilevered frame. I'm using reclaimed pine to face all the shelves. I'm going to go ahead and shellac the shelves and facings and put on some wipe on poly. I had to epoxy a bunch of bug and nail holes in the facings so I can't finish the shelves today. This unit is primarily storage. I may use the counter for a coffee pot but I'm really not all that concerned about the finish. After all, the rest of the lumber rack is unfinished 2" X 4" framing lumber. <p>
I'm trying to resist the temptation to build a lot of unfinished cabinets in the main shop area. I have already started covering about 70' of wall space with shellaced and varnished plywood. I have plans to put an 8' Coca-Cola sign on the wall and build finished cabinets. Oh well.... Time will tell.

Paul Di Biasio
02-23-2003, 3:10 PM
I used PVC pipe for the bottom of my plywood storage. Less contact with the plywood equates to less friction.

I created the base using 1.5" wooden closet rod (scrap) and the put the PVC pipe over the wooden rods. The PVC collars slide freely over the wooden rods. The weight of several sheets of plywood keeps if from turning but it still alot easier than it was.

Paul Kunkel
02-23-2003, 3:17 PM
Zack, Here's a pic of my sheet good rack. I used 3/4" Melamine and it has stood up well now for 3yrs. I may have to resurface sometime but it would be simple to ad some 1/4" and then flip it when it wears out. I run mine the long way and its abt 26" off the floor so's I can slide a sheet out and carry it to the saw with out having to flip it.

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-23-2003, 3:38 PM
I never thought about laying the sheets down. I wish I had.. The 26" off the floor is a neat deal, too. I wish I had asked the right question before I built mine. 3/4" Melamine Do you think that will help my problem? <p>

Any other suggestions out there??

Jonathan Flachman
02-23-2003, 5:57 PM
Paul Di Basio,

The PVC pipe was a great idea that I think I might use when I build my storage. (Paul Kunko, too bad I don't have the space to put the plywood on its side, I think that is a great solution, too.)

Just to clarify, though, friction is not a function of contact area. Friction is force times friction coefficient, which is fixed for a given pair of materials and surface conditions. However, the very smooth surface of the PVC causes the coefficient to be very low compared to sliding on plywood. Although there are some surface effects caused by applying the force to small surface area that do slightly affect the coefficient, that effect is typically small. So, a sheet of PVC would give you the same sliding force as sliding on PVC pipes, all other things being equal.

Only clarifying to point out that small surface area doesn't fix the problem, therefore you won't get the same result from using only the closet rod or say a 2 X 4 on edge or some other way of reducing the surface area.

As far as other solutions, it depends on what you want to spend to solve your problem. What you are trying to do is reduce the coefficient of friction. You might be able to do that just by applying a good solid finish coat to your plywood and then waxing it. Without modifying your design to use Paul's PVC pipe solution, you could also use a different sheet good, such as melamine or for maybe slightly greater benefit, laminate covered melamine or even a sheet of delrin.

Jonathan

Robert Goodwin
02-23-2003, 6:16 PM
Great looking storage rack. I must say, your storage area is bigger then my shop:(

Rob

Patrick Smith
02-23-2003, 9:22 PM
Hi Dr Zack,

I put a "floor" of smooth 3/4" MDF under the sheet goods part of my rack. I used 1x sleepers underneath on 24" centers for support and to raise it up just a tad. It's worked great, no complaints at all. Things actually slide pretty well on it.

Regards,
Patrick[QUOTE]

Bob Oswin
02-24-2003, 8:18 AM
Just glue in a piece of arborite on the base now that you have it up.
You can also make yourself a plywood dolly from a chunk of angle iron and a couple of wheels.
If you are a mind I will send you a pick.
p.s. Don't cut your sheet goods on the table saw.
Use a straight edge or get a sheet cutter or plan for same.

Regards

Bob

Dar Lounsbury
02-24-2003, 9:04 PM
A strip of UHMW plastic along the front edge would fix your problem without having to rebuild any part of the rack. Can be purchased from most woodworking mailorder sources.:) Looks good.