PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking competition

Mike Henderson
06-25-2006, 8:55 PM
I'm submitting some furniture to a woodworking competition as part of the Orange County Fair. This is the first woodworking competition I've ever entered.

Is there anything special I should do to the furniture before submitting it? The drawers have been waxed so that they slide nicely, the finish has been rubbed out, the brass polished, and a coat of wax applied. Anything else I should do?

Thanks, Mike

Cecil Arnold
06-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Mike, it would be nice if you posted some pictures, other than that it soundl like you have your bases covered.

Mike Henderson
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I've already posted the pictures on the Creek, but here they are again.

The three items I'm entering are:

1. A Newport style chest in cherry.
2. A contemporary Craftsman rocker, or "Stickley meets Maloof". Walnut.
3. "Dos Equis" dining room chair - one from a set. Pecan. I don't have a current picture - I changed the upholestry to a different color - I went with a light color instead of the dark blue as shown in the picture.

I didn't put any pictures on my earlier post because many people have already seen pictures of the furniture. But, of course, it doesn't take much to get me to post again:).

Mike

Derek Cohen
06-26-2006, 3:19 AM
Well Mike, I haven't seen them before. All I can say is "superb execution and workmanship!". I'd love to see more of your work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ian Smith
06-26-2006, 5:40 AM
All 3 pieces are great, but I love the Newport chest. I hadn't seen them before either.

Cecil Arnold
06-26-2006, 9:05 AM
They all look like winners to me. I especially like the rocker and wonder what Sam would say.

Tyler Howell
06-26-2006, 9:44 AM
Blue Ribbons all around Mike.:cool:

Mike Henderson
06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words about the furniture. Since this is my first competition, I entered into the apprentice division instead of the expert division. Hopefully, the competition won't be as strong as in the expert division.

A question for those who have shown furniture - what do the judges like? It seems to me that they would prefer complex and showy furniture, maybe like a federal piece with a lot of veneer work. What's your experience?

Mike

Cecil Arnold
06-26-2006, 1:02 PM
Mike, while I haven't entered anything, you should search for a post by "'cuz" Bill Arnold, who has entered and won some competitions. Somewhere in his posts he talks about judges, and how it seems to be random chance having just what they like at the right time.

Vaughn McMillan
06-26-2006, 1:48 PM
Mike, why go to the hassle of loading them up and dragging them down to Costa Mesa? You already win, man. :)

I've not done any competitions, so cannot offer real advice, but kudos are definitely in order for your work. Good luck at the fair; I suspect you'll do well.

- Vaughn

Dan Stuewe
06-26-2006, 2:34 PM
I'll be looking for you work when my family visits the fair. From what I've seen, you should do very well!

My wife is submitting some of her jewerly for the first time this year too. It will do her confidence well to see some ribbons on her work.

Good luck.

John Scarpa
06-26-2006, 6:05 PM
Mike,

I'm going to make it a point to visit the fair and find your furiture. I had seen the chest before, but not the chairs. I'm going to visit your site again also to read through the progress notes you made for the chest. I do enjoy that aspect of sharing that this forum offers. I'm just setting up my shop and am solidly in the novice class so this helps woodworkers like myself.

John

Barry Bruner
06-28-2006, 5:52 PM
Geat job again, anyone who is going to enter the competition is probably hoping for fourth about now. I not only like the quality of your work , I love styles also. If you have anymore pics I would love to see them. BARRY BRUNER

Seth Poorman
06-29-2006, 1:58 AM
Mike
Good luck ! Im sure you will do well with Newport chest ... Looks great.:)

Mark Singer
06-29-2006, 8:22 AM
I think you will do very well! Excellent work and nice designs!

Mike Henderson
07-13-2006, 6:20 PM
Well, the results are in. I got a second in traditional furniture with my chest and a second in contemporary furniture with my rocker. I got an honorable mention for my dining room chair.

I also received a "Juror's choice" ribbon for the chest. I'm not sure, but I think they use a point system when judging. Maybe the "Juror's choice" means they would have chosen that one if they didn't have to use the point system. Don't know for sure. The problem with the chest is that it is not an original design.

I think the judges did a good job. The two pieces that won first place were really good. I would have put them in first place.

But the really good news is that I had someone call me who is interested in purchasing the rocker! I'll have to wait and see if they really go through with the purchase but that would sure be nice. Awards are nice but money is in your pocket :)

Mike

Don Baer
07-13-2006, 6:28 PM
But the really good news is that I had someone call me who is interested in purchasing the rocker! I'll have to wait and see if they really go through with the purchase but that would sure be nice. Awards are nice but money is in your pocket :)

Mike

I thought your work was extrordinary. But you are right awars are nice but Cash is way better.

Good job Mike

Cecil Arnold
07-13-2006, 6:55 PM
Mike, congratulations for your awards, recognition is always a very nice thing to receive. Looks you may be launching a second career making furniture.

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 7:01 PM
Congrats on the awards, Mike, and glad to see you feel you came in second to other good work. And I've gotta agree with you...awards are nice, but they can't be deposited in the bank. I hope the chair sells, and sparks other commissions.

- Vaughn

Jason R Tibbetts
07-13-2006, 7:52 PM
Tape some $20s randomly in the drawers, under the seat bottoms, etc. Just to "help" the judges make their decisions faster. :)

Steve Wargo
07-13-2006, 8:38 PM
Congrats Mike. A job well done.

Mark Rios
07-13-2006, 8:49 PM
Way to go P. Michael. Those are beyond words for me. Congrats on the awards. At first I was going to ask you if I could just shine your tools but now that you've actually received such high marks from a competition, I'm not sure if I'm even worthy to do that. :D

Very well done.

Derek Cohen
07-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Well Mike, those first placers must have been bloody good, that's all I can say! I compliment you on your beautiful work (again), and your modesty. There are not many among us that would fail to be very pleased with both the results of the competition and, more importantly, the level of furniture making you have reached.

Well done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Mittlefehldt
07-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Good on ya MIke, glad to see you get some recognition. I am curious though what was the first prize winner that beat out the chest, it looks like a winner to me.

Mike Henderson
07-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. The two pieces that came in first (traditional and contemporary) are shown in the attached pictures. The box is on a stand which I didn't show in the picture. It's veneered and very well done. The chair is very well made with joints in the style of Sam Maloof. They are both very impressive in person - and very well made.

I think originality of design was very important in the judging.

Mike