PDA

View Full Version : Pen Boxes & Thank You

Keith Bragg
06-25-2006, 8:11 PM
Hi Folks

As I seat here writing to ask for assistance again I can't for the life of me
say how fortunate I am to have stumble on to this site I have had a laser for 4 years and never had as much information offered for free as I have
here so I would like to thank all that have shared there knowledge and expertize about your lasers. Thank You

Now the Question at hand I am looking for a wholesaler for pen boxes I currently get 10 case pricing from JDS around 3.50 ea average but still having folks not buying after engraved and color filled for 9.95. just wondering if I should not even bother If you count my time after design set up,engraving,filling I am not makeing much any thoughts anyone.

Thanks Keith Bragg

Joe Pelonio
06-26-2006, 8:15 AM
Keith,

I wouldn't sell them for less than $9.95, regardless of what you pay for the boxes. Unless your boxes are hand made by a skilled craftsman you are competing with a lot of internet sales who are also selling mass produced engraved pen boxes.

If you can't get that much then you might consider different items, or marketing them in a different manner. For example, think about selling them to non-profits as a fund raiser, they pay you $9.95 each and you engrave an important event. For example "class of 2007" sold to the PTA who then sells them for more to students/parents. Or talk to the human resources people at local companies about selling them with their logo as corporate awards, employee of the month etc.

Keith Bragg
06-26-2006, 4:46 PM
Thanks for your input and ideas I will have to look into those areas I still to this day have a hard time pricing some of the coustom stuff mirrors plaques etc. That proably is the worst part of the business Thanks Agaian

Keith Bragg

Mike Null
07-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Take a look at Penn State Industries

Barbara Buhse
07-16-2006, 2:50 PM
I don't know where you're selling them from, (store, kiosk, craft show) but maybe if you changed the price to $9.00 or even $9.50 they may sell better. Sometimes its not the price but the perception. Most Hand crafted items are not sold at "retail" prices, that end with 99 or 95.
Thats not advice from me as an engraver, but from me as a compulsive shopper!

Barbara

Shaddy Dedmore
07-16-2006, 2:55 PM
One thing you might try is, take one set of boxes and raise the price to 12 or 13 dollars. Then see what happens.

Shaddy

Dave Jones
07-16-2006, 3:10 PM
Both posts sound like good advice. For many items in certain situations a round number is better than the xx.95 kind of price. Plus sometimes if the price is too low the customer perceives the item as lower quality. I know an electronics company that raised the price of a certain machine from $99 to $199 and started selling 5 times as many. I wouldn't suggest such a drastic move, but maybe try $12.00. It also gives you a bit of play if the customer asks for a discount.

Keith Bragg
07-16-2006, 9:19 PM
Thanks all for the advice I am going to try all of your suggestions. and see what happens. as always thanks to all for your time, This is just a awesome site.:p

Keith Bragg

Mike Null
07-16-2006, 9:25 PM
I just sold 45 Taiwan wood pen, pencil and box sets today for $25 each. All with same logo on boxes and company name on pens and pencils. My cost was under $10 plus engraving and black shoe polish color fill.

I wholesale these to a sales rep at $19 each as well. I think he gets $39 for them.

Maybe you're not charging enough.