PDA

View Full Version : A little too thin.

Don Baer
06-25-2006, 7:01 PM
Oh well I need the practice.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 7:03 PM
Don.........What a shame! You had a nice one going there!

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 7:09 PM
Ah..."funnel time". Been there, done that. Too many times...and the last one was a big piece that was such a beautiful thing until it became a big ring. (I still have it and have some ideas on how to turn it (well...hand-tool it) into something decidedly non-bowl like...:rolleyes:

----
An observation from your picture:

'Might have been a minor blessing in that you were coming really close to those chuck jaws, however. 'Ya don't want to catch them with your gouge or scraper. It's a good idea to create a shoulder down and away from the main body of your workpiece to seat your jaws on. For this piece, that would have been about 3/8" up from the bottom of the walnut "foot"...you don't need a long tenon in the chuck and the shoulder to support the end of the chuck jaws is very important. It adds both stability and strength to the holding power of the jaws.

Tom Sherman
06-25-2006, 7:27 PM
Bad break on the funnel Don My dad used to say that you have to tear up a few to get to the one in a million.

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2006, 7:37 PM
Don, looks like you were headed in the right direction. Keep at it.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2006, 8:05 PM
Don been there done that. I just saved one though by gluing a walnut bottom onto the maple. Is the wood thick enough at the bottom to square it off and glue another piece on? Just a thought.

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Look on the bright side Don... you got a ringer!!:rolleyes: Sorry

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, a little more pratice to get the bottom hole
concentric....;) Been there .......:) .

Don Baer
06-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Look on the bright side Don... you got a ringer!!:rolleyes: Sorry

Ernie

Yep, I sure did..

I happened so fast I just stood there for a moment staring at the funnel resting on the tool rest and said aw s$%t

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Don, you're just turning the upper portion of a hollow vase, right?;) :D