PDA

View Full Version : A little preview

Kenneth George
06-25-2006, 5:00 PM
Hello everyone, I thought it might be nice to share a little preview of my current project with you. When I got my first lathe in the early 80’s I had visions of incorporating turned pieces into the things that I made. Never got very good at it so in the early 90’s I bought a bigger lathe. Again I found the results of my efforts less than satisfactory. A bit over two years ago I went at turning head on and did nothing with wood that was not turned. I studied and learned. I read everything I could and tried about everything I read. In any case enough with the boring history stuff my point is that I feel confident enough at this time to bring turning into my furniture projects.

So with that I have designed a piece that I am now in the building stages of. It will be my most complex piece yet. About 80% of the individual pieces will be turned and with that this particular piece is without a doubt the largest I have turned yet at 24”. The first piece I am working on is a segmented ring made of Walnut. There are 20 segments and they are glued and then joined with Walnut splines. Here it is on the lathe and I am using a Baltic Birch to support it for the turning process.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/06-25-06/DSCF1812.jpg

I learned quickly that I needed to take very light controlled cuts to keep the plywood from flexing but even so the very dry Walnut is cutting very well. I am running the lathe in reverse and having to do a lot of the cuts left handed.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/06-25-06/DSCF1817.jpg

I have turned my rabbit and have shaped the outside profile of the piece. Here I had wiped it down with mineral sprites to see how it looked. This will be the underside of one of the pieces of what I am making.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/06-25-06/DSCF1819.jpg

I may end up inundating you guys with information about this particular project as it seems as though that is all that is on my mind lately. Anyhow if I get boring or what not just let me know and thanks for having a look at my most recent weirdness!

Ken

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-25-2006, 6:01 PM
Wierdness or not, Kenneth, I look forward to seeing the process.

Lookin' good so far!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 6:07 PM
INUNDATE US PLEASE! Turners are weird by nature! Bring it on! Beautiful!

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 6:48 PM
That's a really neat project! What is the ring going to be used for/as once it's completed??

I'm finding this very interesting as I've been thinking about an adaptation of the Shaker style candle stands I like to build that has a raised rim...for that I'd keep the material at 3/4" to start and then actually turn the top on the lathe to 1/2" thickness...basically a platter with legs. :) The size would be similar or slightly smaller than what you are working with.

Kenneth George
06-25-2006, 8:51 PM
Jim, you absolutely hit spot on with that guess. Not too awful long ago the wife and I went to a higher end antique show pretty much just to browse. I like going to those as I always get inspired by the craftsmanship of a lot of the furniture. At this particular one I was just absolutely taken in by a late 1700’s Tilt Top Tea table. Ever since then I have been designing this one that I just started on finally this weekend.

My problem is that I wanted to veneer the top (I have an idea to try I have not yet done) but I am not a fan of edge banding. My next alternative would be to inlay the veneer but I have seen that done and did not like it. I could have also used a router and templates but I knew I wanted segmented as I did not want any end grain to show. Since I did it segmented I decided to turn it as I feel I can get the details in that I have in my mind.

The rabbit I turned is just a bit deeper than 1/2” which will allow for the plywood substrate and the veneer. I can scrape the Walnut flush afterwards. It is my intention to turn the substrate and inlay it into this frame as I would one of my finials. I am hoping for a perfect mate.

The bottom has a very gentle ogee taper that made the splines appear to be twice the thickness as I turned skewed to them. Believe it or not I took great pains to make sure none of the grain matched on the segments as that is part of my design vision. Here is a pretty good close-up of the splines.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/06-25-06/DSCF1820.jpg

Anyhow if anyone has interest when I am done I am taking pictures as I go.

Ken

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 8:54 PM
Oh, yea...the whole pictorial is "mandatory" now!! ;)

Kenneth George
06-25-2006, 8:58 PM
Oh yeah, I did a table kind of like what you are talking about Jim. I did this one over a year ago I think. It is made for a contest and was made from 1 single 96” construction grade 2X6. The top is completely turned and is about an inch deep from the top of the rim.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSCF0214.jpg

It was a lot of fun.

Ken

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Looking forward to this Kenneth. That small table looks really great! What was the finish you applied to the lumber to get it to look like that?

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this whole process Kenneth if you will kindly show it.:D

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
That is really cool! Can't wait to see the project come to life!

Kenneth George
06-26-2006, 9:42 PM
Corey, that was a Minwax Ployshades Bombay Mahogany if I remember correctly. Seems like it ended up taking 11 or 12 coats to get the color I wanted. I sprayed it on with a small touchup gun that I have. I finally ended up wet sanding at 1200 grit and then I rubbed it out with rotten stone.

Ken

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-26-2006, 9:54 PM
Awesome Table, Kenneth. This new project looks intriguing! Can't wait for further updates.

Bruce;)

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Kenneth that is just awesome. Never seen anyone take construction lumber and make it look like that. Beautiful!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2006, 12:21 AM
That table is awesome Kenneth. Oh yea keep the pictures coming. I like watching things as they come together. Thanks for sharing.