PDA

View Full Version : New Pen - Berea Sierra

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2006, 2:07 PM
This is the latest to come off of little red! I have been looking at these kits for awhile but just recently warmed up to the style of this kit as it kept growing on me. I really like this kit and probably is the easiest to turn and assemble out there. One wood barrel, the lower nib assembly up to the chrome band is totally assembled and all you have to press on is the top finial clip assembly and then insert the refill and the transmission screws in over the top of that and snap it together. Extremely smooth and nice feeling pen.
Anyway, this is the Berea Sierra in chrome trim. Used a piece of East Indian Rosewood and the finish is Enduro and TSW. Thanks for looking!

Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/RWSierra1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/RWSierra2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/RWSierra3.jpg

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 2:47 PM
Corey, I really like that style...I'm not generally a pen-turning person, but if I were turning some for family or friends, I think this would be a kit/style I'd enjoy using! (I did turn and use pens for gifts during our adoption travel and they went over REALLY well!) I think it would be very comfortable to write with as I personally like the heftier feel.

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2006, 3:37 PM
Jim, I agree. This pen is similar in weight to a Flat Top american but doesn't have the length. Another plus for me is that it uses the parker style refill which I have grown to prefer over the cross and that also usually adds some heft as well. Thanks Jim,

Corey

Frank Fusco
06-25-2006, 4:13 PM
I haven't tried that style yet because the early supplies had defective bushings. Apparently that glitch has been solved. Yours is very well done and makes an attractive pen.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-25-2006, 5:32 PM
Looks quite nice, Corey. I wonder---can you replace the (what I assume is) plastic on the nib and clip assemblies on this kit?

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2006, 5:53 PM
Thanks guys. Not sure on that Henry. Not quite sure if the black portion is plastic or metal. I think metal as I have a little nicer kit where it is actually Black Titanium. Frank, no problem with the Bushings that I got from Ernie at Bear Tooth. Also this one uses the A mandrel.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 6:14 PM
Gorgeous pen Corey! I really need to get set up to do pens! When I do...this will be at the top of the list.

Tom Sherman
06-25-2006, 7:08 PM
That is a nice lookin pen Corey. I like this style also it seems to me that it is the easiest one soo far, I hear that you can get a pencil mechanism that will fit this style and with minor modification works great.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2006, 8:06 PM
Stunning pen Corey. Well done my friend.

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2006, 10:20 PM
That is a nice looking kit Corey and you did a very nice job on it.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Yep, very nice indeed! Great looking pen Corey!

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2006, 7:46 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I appreciate it.

Corey