PDA

View Full Version : Painting Metal Question

john whittaker
06-25-2006, 1:38 PM
I'm working on restoring a 30 year old dinette on which everything except the tubular metal frame will be replaced. (Table top & arms plus new caning and seat cushions) The metal frame (steel) is in very good condition except for some minor paint chipping. The new color will be close to original but not quite the same.

I just read the thread on painting appliances and was wondering if I should consider using the same type of paint that Jamie used on the frig. I would be using a Wagoner HVLP conversion gun.

Also, without the use of a sand blaster, getting all the existing paint off seems impossible. Would it be OK to sand smooth the chip areas then clean and paint over the existing. It appears to be powder coated now.

Input is appreciated.

Todd Burch
06-25-2006, 2:09 PM
I'm not sure if powder coating was invented 30 years ago. My guess would be enamel.

You can feather the edges of a chip and repaint, but a keen eye will see the repair. To hide it completely, you would need to fill the void.

Todd

Mike Hollingsworth
06-25-2006, 2:33 PM
why not have it powder coated again?
Most coaters have sandblast equipment.
Anything you could spray would show use and scratch.
Except Dupont Imron which is illegal in most states.

FWIW
Mike

Joe Pelonio
06-25-2006, 5:02 PM
You could run into some incompatability problems with the new paint on the old. Why nor sandblast it yourself? If you can get a fairly steady 100lbs off of your compressor, for a small job like that the cheap gun that they sell at the bigs would work. It just has a gun with a rubber hose that you put into a bucket of sand. Would take a while, as you'd have to stop to let the compressor catch up, but in the end you'd have a nicer job and no paint issues. I've used it on my 30 gallon 5hp.

Was $19.95 at Lowe's or $12.97 at H.D.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=169718

David Eisenhauer
06-26-2006, 7:45 PM
why not have it powder coated again?
Most coaters have sandblast equipment.
Anything you could spray would show use and scratch.
Except Dupont Imron which is illegal in most states.

FWIW
Mike

What's the story on Emron? I don't get to town as often as I should and didn't hear about this?

Mike Hollingsworth
06-26-2006, 8:18 PM
What's the story on Emron? I don't get to town as often as I should and didn't hear about this?

Imron is DuPont's automotive polyurethane coating. It's shiny as snot and tough as nails. I prefer it over Powder coating anyday.

mike

Mike Hollingsworth
06-26-2006, 8:20 PM

Oh! And did I mention it's $275+/gallon?

mike