PDA

View Full Version : HFT 34706 lathe

Doug Jones
09-15-2003, 5:47 AM
All you turners have me very interested.

Does anyone know the code number for this lathe in order to buy it at the 179 price tag instead of the 279 that is listed?

I also saw a bigger Delta D46-715 for 599 with free shipping and as a bonus they threw in 150 bucks worth of turning tools (did not specify what tools) is this a good deal?

Michael Cody
09-15-2003, 8:39 AM
All you turners have me very interested.

Does anyone know the code number for this lathe in order to buy it at the 179 price tag instead of the 279 that is listed?

I also saw a bigger Delta D46-715 for 599 with free shipping and as a bonus they threw in 150 bucks worth of turning tools (did not specify what tools) is this a good deal?

The 179$ price is usually a store price in my experience -- though it's been available on the web site a few times for that price. Cheapest the web site has it right now is 239$ -- 34706-3VGA

I haven't seen it on sale in the last month or 2 in a catalog. It usally goes down to 199$ in the catalog 2-3 times a year. I would expect it soon too as the holidays approach.

If you have a HF outlet store nearby, drop in and see what you can get the unit for and watch the store sale flyers.. Other folks have had good luck on those pricing points. I paid the 199$ for mine when I bought it 3 years ago...

Kent Cori
09-15-2003, 9:43 PM
Doug,

I went into the local HF when the lathe was its normal $279. I simply told the resident tool guy that I knew it was frequently on sale for $179 and asked when it would be on sale at that price again. He checked the computer and then said that while he couldn't give me the $179 price, he would sell it to me for $199. We loaded it in my pickup a few minutes later.

It is a really nice lathe for the money and a near clone of the $570 Jet 1236 lathe. There are some minor differences although none very major. I've turned on both so I know. If you can get a similar price, go for it!

Doug Jones
09-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks Michael and Kent,

I looked and there is a retail store over here near me, about 50 min. down the road in Indy. I think I'll stop in one day after work and check them out.

And 5 years ago i was happy with just a circular saw, jig saw, and hammer.

Jim Becker
09-15-2003, 10:31 PM
And 5 years ago i was happy with just a circular saw, jig saw, and hammer.

OH, boy...you are in for it now! You'll soon have the "spinny" infection like so many of the rest of us. You will be thinking about turning when your are awake and when you are asleep. You will be coveting new tools and jigs and veering off the road to collect bowls-on-the-hoof. You will be assimilated! :D

Tom Sweeney
09-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Jim,
Thanks to people like you I am now almost totally non functional (no comments please) I sit at work all day & think about what am I going to turn next - how can I get a talon chuck & a wolverine jig - when am I gonna take my turning lesson - where can I find bowl blanks (that's an easy one)!
I never even had it this bad with golf for crying out loud!

Resist Doug Resist - there is no turning ;) back once you've started :D

OH, boy...you are in for it now! You'll soon have the "spinny" infection like so many of the rest of us. You will be thinking about turning when your are awake and when you are asleep. You will be coveting new tools and jigs and veering off the road to collect bowls-on-the-hoof. You will be assimilated! :D

Clyde Hefner
09-16-2003, 3:36 PM
Just got off of chat with an operator at Harbor Freight. The price of $199.00 is a Harbor Freight store price only. I asked why the online price and the catalog price is $269.00, the only answer she gave me was that they are seperate store. If the Harbor Freight store can sell the lathe for $199.00 why cant I get the same price ordering online?
Not to complain but I guess I am. Maybe the extra $70.00 is to pay for the so called free shipping. Ill keep ya posted on this one!

Doug Jones
09-16-2003, 5:46 PM

Jim,
I already have the "spinny infection" and have never turned a single piece yet. After visiting some local wood turners and after seeing Jason's turnings (of which are very good work) and seeing all the postings, this is something I diffenently want to do. I don't know where I'm going to put the toy,,,I mean tool yet but I still am going to get one. (Soon I hope) As far as road gazing for possible turnings along the road, well its already happened, even today I saw a nice piece that would of worked well.

By the way, I'm not a proud man so if anyone is wanting to get rid of any of their old used turning tools, I'll let you send them to me, free of charge.