PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw as a primary saw

Fred Woodward
06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Not trying to start a firestorm but I've been thinking of changing up my toolset to make a large bandsaw (medium actually) my primary saw rather than a tablesaw.
I'm looking at saws from 16" to 20" for a primary saw. The main reason is that I'm trying to have a bit more room in my tiny shop area. I'm also considering a planer/jointer combo machine but that would be a separate topic.

I realize that this goes against the grain for most woodworkers as we usually consider the table saw to be top dog in the woodworking shop. I've been of that mindset too for around 25 years.
Living in the Austin, TX area, I took a trip down to Mini-Max the other day and it was really an eye opener to what a serious bandsaw can do.

I know there are many members of this forum that use these large saws in addition to their tablesaws, and I know that there are definite needs for a tablesaw in the shop. I will not be getting rid of my tablesaw, just moving it's central position.
Am I all wet in this thinking?

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2006, 11:48 AM
With a SCMS for crosscuts on long boards and a heavy-duty router for dados, you could probably eliminate the tablesaw altogether. A lot depends on exactly what kinds of projects you plan on doing. Since you've already got the TS, maybe add a mobile base to it?

(Or you could just join the Church of Dino and do everything with a circular saw. :eek: :D )

Mark Pruitt
06-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I would be concerned about the bandsaw blade's occasional tendency to wander to the left or right when ripping. Not saying that can't be overcome, just that it would be a primary concern.

Lee, you lost me. "Church of Dino"?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 12:03 PM
In some of the old threads here this was discussed. There are a number of members who only use a bandsaw.

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Lee, you lost me. "Church of Dino"?:confused:That's what I call the EZ-Smart "cult": nice product, very annoying marketing.

Scott Banbury
06-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I do anything I can on the bandsaw. It's quieter, safer and makes less unmanageable dust.

I prefer to joint my edges anyhow and the only time I use the tablesaw is for the rip to width and I joint that too.

Since I like bandsaws so much, I currently have 2 1/2 bandsaws:

My workhorse is a circa 1920s 7.5hp 36" American. I usually keep a 3 tpi 3/4" blade that I get welded up at my local sharpener for $22. We use this saw for straightline ripping--I use an 8 ft piece of straight cedar to draw a line (white pencil) and usually have no problem staying on it. It's always jointable in a pass or 2. The saw's huge table really helps with this.

We also use the 36" for cutting architectural brackets, braces and arches as well as for resawing with a clampon UHMW fence.

My Delta 14" Limited Edition is the saw that gets to do everything else, it being much easier to jig up and change blades on.

Soon, however, I will have my newly acquired 26" Crescent (1/2 saw) up and running and will have it setup for freehand cutting/shaping ala Maloof.

Personally, I don't think I could live without my 12" table saw. It really shines on dadoes, cut to length, sheet goods and panels. But if I was contrained by space, I think I could get by better with a bandsaw, jointer and planer.

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 1:21 PM
While I love my table saw, if I were really pressed for space, I'd very seriously consider making a big bandsaw the heart of the shop for ripping and continue to grow my use of the Festool MFT and guided tools. (Pick your guided system...it's the functionality that's important, not the brand) I actually am using the MFT for more and more work, especially for cabinetry-type projects where the panels exceed the capacity of other cross-cutting systems available to me.

Would I be "happy" not having a table saw? Probably not at first, but I have no doubt I'd be able to adapt. And this format of woodworking isn't unique...there are many folks all over the world who based their cutting system on the bandsaw at the heart of the shop.

Steve Wargo
06-25-2006, 1:53 PM
I've been without a table saw for over 2 years now. Hasn't affected my work at all, but there are times that I wish I had one. As far as the comment of blade drift when ripping... Not on a good euro saw with a carbide blade. It is a tough decision to make. Good luck.