PDA

View Full Version : cutting stumps

Frank Fusco
06-25-2006, 11:12 AM
There is a lot construction going on near where I live. In all cases, after the lot is cleared, firewood sellers cut up the trunks and leave the stumps. Now, I know some of the most interesting wood around is from stumps and roots. But, I also know they are loaded with soil and rocks. Is there a way to cut these up without ruining a chainsaw? I don't have a way to transport without cutting up.

Frank Chaffee
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Frank,
Water tank on a trailer and a pressure washer?
Frank

tod evans
06-25-2006, 1:10 PM
[quote=Frank Fusco]Is there a way to cut these up without ruining a chainsaw? quote]

an ax or buck saw would spare your chains...02 tod

Frank Chaffee
06-25-2006, 1:40 PM
An axe! How could I forget the tool I used to fend off the bite of winter for my family when I was in high school?

Musta’ repressed the memories…;) :D

Frank

Matt King
06-25-2006, 9:54 PM
My Dad and I have been working on a decent sized Black Walnut stump lately. It's quite a bit of work! I put a 28" bar on my Husky 372XP with a good rip chain, and it works pretty well with the generic rip guide, but it's certainly very tiring. We've used my 17" Grizzly with some hardback 1.2TPI blades to resaw it into gunstock blanks. The inevitable dirt and grit (present no matter how well you pressure wash and/or blow off/out) is pretty harsh on both the chainsaw chain and bandsaw blade, but (so far!) it's been well worth the effort. It's an utter waste of time to attempt this with a crosscutting chain, by the way, and incredibly rough on the saw. These long cuts can really get the saw running hot(and my muffler's been modified to release a lot more heat, along with a much richer 32:1 synthetic oil mix instead of the normal 50:1) , and consequently lean, so do be careful not to lock up your saw. It takes some serious CC's/HP to do this work too. I thought my 372XP(71cc) would breeze through it, but it's not been terribly difficult to bring it to a halt with this bar/chain combo!

Do keep in mind - this 25" diameter Walnut tree had a stump (the guy Dad got it from cut it off about 28" above the ground) that weighed over a ton, so it's not a simple thing to maneuver.

I'll try to get some pics posted directly.

What sort of stumps are they leaving?

Matt

Roger Bell
06-25-2006, 10:04 PM
You can get carbide chains. Good for cutting blind into roots and other nasty work. Used in construction. About $100 or so.

Frank Fusco
06-26-2006, 9:11 AM
[quote=Frank Fusco]Is there a way to cut these up without ruining a chainsaw? quote]

I used to have, and use, one and two man antique cross-cut saws. Loved them and found that often, when properly sharpened, they cut nearly as fast as a chain saw. Somewhere along the line as I approached being eligible for Social Security I sold it all, hand drill press, saws, brace and bits, etc. and stopped being a Neanderthal. Enjoyed it while it lasted. I think I'll stop thinking about stumps. :rolleyes: