PDA

View Full Version : WC vacuum veneering kit

Michael Adelong
06-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the vacuum veneering kit being sold at Woodcraft for $299? It's on sale for 2 more days.

I've been considering getting a vacuum press kit for a while now.

Joewoodworker has one here (http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_64&products_id=248) that looks more robust, but it will cost about $100 more after adding a bag.

I have zero experience with veneering. Anyone have comments, colmplaints, or kudos about either one?

Thanks,
Michael

Brian MacDonald
06-25-2006, 10:45 AM
If you're not in a big rush, you might check eBay. I just picked up a Vacu-press Compact 100 for $150. There have been several available over the past couple of weeks.

John Huber
06-25-2006, 6:52 PM
I've used the Woodcraft vacuum veneering kit for about fifteen veneer panels. It works fine. Previously, I used a hand-pumped veneering system for about a dozen veneer panels. It was okay as a starter. Having a continuous pump, gage, larger bag, and zip type closure is much better.

Since you're getting started, borrow or buy The Veneering Book by David Shath Square and Veneering: A foundation course by Mike Burton.

BTW, after trying urea-formaldehyde, and several different kinds of PVA glues, I prefer West System epoxy. The self-metering pumps make mixing a snap. The slow and continuous cure make it easy to veneer both sides of a panel at the same time and precisely locate the veneer, substrate, and bearer boards. The drawback: it is more expensive.

Happy veneering!

Michael Adelong
06-25-2006, 7:34 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

I think I'll check out the books, and do a little more research before jumping in. I'm in no hurry.

Al Willits
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Any suggestions for someone who has their own vacuum pump already, seems I remember one of the TV shows telling how to make your own bag, but can't remember who it was.
Seems you could cut your vyinl to any size and add a fitting and tape (?) the ends...or something like that.

Al

Dewayne Baker
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I built the V2 venturi system from joewoodworker http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_64&products_id=1683 and have been very pleased with it. If you already have a compressor that will support the system this a cost effective way to go.