PDA

View Full Version : Help with this form please...

Curtis O. Seebeck
06-24-2006, 11:50 PM
I need your opinion of the following closed bowl. It is only rough turned on the outside and is not hollowed yet so I can make all the changes I want. I am not sure I like the shape and need your suggestions/opinions. Thanks

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Pecan.jpg

Ben Werner
06-25-2006, 12:27 AM
well here are two options that I see.
1. make the whole thing more curvy... In my opinion curves look good, but often if they are mixed in with straight lines it often does not look right although in a few occasions it looks wonderful. The red on the left shows this view.
2. Make the whole thing more straight... In my opinion this does not look as nice as the curves but its a possibility. this is shown by the red on the right.
Do you understand? well there are 2 options
had to stick in my 2¢

Ben

Earl Eyre
06-25-2006, 12:39 AM
I think Ben nailed it. It's a nice form and just needs a little more refining with some nice gentle curves. Beautiful piece of wood. Hope you post it when you are finished.
Earl

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree with Ben's assessment of the upper area...'need the "cove" to sweep up to the rim, but here it actually should be a distinct transition, rather than rounded a lot from the base form. But I respectfully disagree with straightening the bottom...it already has a wonderful classic form and you don't want to do anything to interrupt the nice continuous curve you have developed other than bringing it in more towards the bottom...it's a little wide. The rim is a little heavy, too, but it's still rough.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Curtis.........I looked at this before anybody else had responded. As I'm a rookie turner, I didn't respond then. My thoughts were identical to Jim's.

Cecil Arnold
06-25-2006, 2:51 PM
Here is something to look at and think about. It is a classic Greek vessel, and if you knocked off the handels and modified the top to fit your opening I think you would be close to what you are looking for. No one in the past 2200 years has been able to improve on the Greeks.

Tom Sherman
06-25-2006, 2:54 PM
Not having vast amounts of experience myself, I say which ever way you choose to go, it's all a learning curve have fun with it.