PDA

View Full Version : Does Festool Offer Sales on their 1400 Router

Gary Sostrin
06-24-2006, 11:42 PM
I was wondering if Festool puts their router 1400 on sale sometime during the year? Also I was wondering how to attach their router to a ridgid vacuum (2 1/2 inch) which is quiet enough for me compared to my former sears vacuum. I think I have read that Festools hose size is 1 7/16. And finally, I have read the old threads for the festool sander to a non festool vacuum and what problems are caused when to much vacuum is introduced. I wonder if the router will have the same problems. Any assistance or down right help is appreciated.

Gary

Cecil Arnold
06-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Festool may have a sale when they discontinue a line to be replaced by an "improved" version--not very often. If you can connect the hose it should provide enough suction, but remember that all routers will generate more dust than any vacuum can remove, and the larger sized hose will give you more problems than the f-tool hose.

John Lucas
06-25-2006, 7:58 AM
Festool very often offers a package price of the OF1400 and the vacuum. See this page: http://www.festoolusa.com/category.aspx?ID=4 That package is shown.
How effective the dust extractor is with the OF1400 depends mostly on the kind of cut you are making. For example, it you are dadoing a groove, the chip are shot out into the groove and missed by the dust extractor unless you back up briefly every foot or so...then the vacuum empties the groove quite well. The 1400 has three different dust pickups and usually you can get one of those to work quite well.

Bob Marino
06-25-2006, 9:14 AM
Gary,

What John and Cecil said. If you can't get the appropriate adapter (I think you probably can) and your vac has a 2 1/4" dc port, you may consider getting a Festool hose. It will fit any and all Festool tools.
You also may consider getting a used or demo 1400, which depending on condition, can be either 10, 20 or 30% off the current price. Supplies fluctuate on them almost dailey though.

Bob

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Gary, as Bob suggests, I've been fortunate in acquiring both, "demo" and "refurbed" Festool units at great savings. The "demo" unit, in particular, was virtually "Brand new" and I've had zero issues with the "refurb", as well. If you're seriously interested in a particular unit, don't hesitate to drop Uncle Bob (Marino) a line and have him see what, if anything, is available. Be prepared to make a buying decision pretty much "on the fly" in the case of "demo" or "refurb" as those items typically don't sit on the shelves for very long and it's "first come, first serve"! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Ditto to what John said...if you're not in a hurry, you can take advantage of the demo/refurb units and save nicely on what is essentially new product. Let your Festool ISV know what you are interested in and they can keep an eye out for you. (Bob Marino is an excellent choice for that... ;) )