PDA

View Full Version : Board Ft. from log

Al Killian
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I am try ing to figure out how much lumber that I can get from the base of the tree left when the tree was taken down. The tree is poplar.The base is about 12' tall by about 4' across at the bottom and about 2.5' across at the top. This was a massive that had to come down becouse last year it was hit by lightning and started dropping branch to close to the garage.
Al

Randy Meijer
06-25-2006, 4:14 AM
Plug "board foot calculator" into your favorite search engine and something should pop up. I had a similar question 6 or so months ago and found a number of sites that had calculators to solve such problems. Randy

Steve Strickler
06-25-2006, 7:29 AM
Doyle scale, you'll get appx. 500bf. (measurements are made using the small end of the log).

Unless you need 12' lengths, I'd cut the log into an 8' length on the small end and a 4' on the large end. (if your sawyer will deal with it).

That would yield appx. 800bf and you'd get some REALLY wide pieces.

Rick Doyle
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Plug "board foot calculator" into your favorite search engine and something should pop up. I had a similar question 6 or so months ago and found a number of sites that had calculators to solve such problems. Randy
hi al,

if you want to try a bd. ft. calculator, you can download one for free off of my website. it's an ms excel spreadsheet and you can enter in several different measurements at once for the log you're talking about. here's the download link:

Board Ft. Calculator (http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/#Board)

Al Killian
06-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the help. I planed on cutting it into 8' and 4' slabs. My sawyer said he will cut the logs as needed to fit onto his mill.