PDA

View Full Version : New Style Box

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Well tried something different today while turning a walnut box. Took a pattern from Raffans book and gave it a shot. The tenon is on the lid and fits inside the box instead of the tenon being on the box fitting inside the lid. The lid didn't quite turn out like I wanted but for a first the wife says she will take it. It is 4" tall and 3 1/2" wide. I am finishing it with wipe on poly.

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Bernie, that is some nice walnut and a great little box! Your doing awesome on these. Finial looks great too!! Keep'em coming buddy!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-25-2006, 5:02 PM
Nice looking box, Bernie. BTW: Is that some curl I see in that walnut?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 6:09 PM
Bernie...........Your box is gorgeous! You are really progressing!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
06-25-2006, 6:27 PM
Bernie,

Nice job ,is the top hollow ?what kind of thickness are you turning to?
can we get inside pics of the pieces?

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2006, 8:16 PM
Bernie,

Nice job ,is the top hollow ?what kind of thickness are you turning to?
can we get inside pics of the pieces?

Bob

The top is fairly thin Robert maybe 3/8". I did not measure it but could. I will have more pictures as it is still drying. Robert the lid was suppose to be flatter and have a lip over the edge but I hollowed the top a little to much. I will know better next time although I didn't think it turned out to bad as is. The LOML likes it so I guess that's all that counts.

Henry that is some curl in the wood. I was surprised myself.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2006, 10:24 PM
You did a fine Job Bernie. I kinda like the lid.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
06-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Bernie, this is soooooooo.... nice.

Mike Ramsey
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
It's hard coming up with a different shape than others have done
but I think you did! Looks great Bernie!

Tom Sherman
06-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree with Mike. Design is a personal thing that is what makes us all different. nice work

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Very nice box Bernie!!!!!! That box is nice. You're doing very well on your turning buddy!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind comments. Big Mike is my inspiration. I have saved all the pictures of his boxes and hopefully can duplicate some of them some day.

Mark Cothren
06-27-2006, 8:55 AM
Nice work, Bernie!

And I can tell you after seeing Big Mike's boxes in person that they are every bit as nice (if not more) as the pictures on here show. The detail is fantastic.

Michael Stafford
06-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Mark is very generous with his praise. Thank you.

Bernie, you are making great progress. I wish my early boxes looked as good as yours. Just keep turning and taking risks. Let me tell you as the boxes get smaller the pucker factor goes up. But in order to improve your skills you have to keep taking risks and see what you can do with the tools.